BRS Physiology - 3rd vs 4th ed?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ride

Argo
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if there is a significant difference between the 3rd and 4th editions of Costanzo's BRS Phys books?
Thanks,
Ride

Members don't see this ad.

I can't tell you what the difference is between the 3rd and 4th editions, but I can tell you that I used the 3rd edition and a friend used the 2nd edition for board study this year and we both felt more than adequately and accurately prepared using those editions. I've found that, in general, its safe to go with an older edition of a book as long as its not the first edition (which often has errors) and as long as the subject matter isn't constantly changing (physiology would be an example). I'm guessing that the newest edition of BRS phys probably just has different formatting plus some added unnecessary information, and if you already have the 3rd edition just stick with that one unless someone else can tell you a good reason to get the 4th.

They are 99% similar in term of text content. The only major difference between the two editions is that the publisher used various shades of blue to highlight section titles and tables in the 4th edition whereas the 3rd edition only has black and gray.

Exactly what yanon said. The 4th edition is a lot easier on the eyes, though...

Thanks a lot for your replies. I have been studying with the third edition all semester and I'm kind of attached to the notes I wrote in it:oops: - so it's nice to hear I'm safe without switching to the fourth ed. :D