BRS vs. High Yield Biochem?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

askoogi

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
first, i apologize in advance as i'm sure this topic has been discussed before . . .

for the biochem shelf, which do you recommend - BRS or High Yield?

how about for the biochem on the actual Step 1?

thanks!

askoogi

Members don't see this ad.

askoogi said:
first, i apologize in advance as i'm sure this topic has been discussed before . . .

for the biochem shelf, which do you recommend - BRS or High Yield?

how about for the biochem on the actual Step 1?

thanks!

askoogi

I don't blame you... searching for old topics takes too much effort and never seems to find what you're looking for anyway.

I own the BRS biochem and have borrowed the HY biochem from our library, and while I liked the BRS, I was really disappointed by the HY book. It seemed to lack all the really important clinical correlations that other books like BRS cover rather well. However, I've heard from quite a large number of folks that Lippincott's Biochemistry is an excellent biochem review. It's kinda long, and I don't know how much time you have, but if you think it's worth it, try and check it out from the library or something and give it a shot.

I think it's safe to say that biochem on the step 1 is about 10-20% of the exam. I'd stick with First Aid, Lippincott's, and/or BRS.

Good luck on the shelf!