Bruton agammawhat?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Enzymes

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok guys, First AID is tripping.

In my 2014 addition, it says Bruton's agammaglobulinemia has decreased pro-B cells and NORMAL CD19 counts.

I thought that pre-B would be HIGH in this disorder (since the block prevents maturation at the pre-B stage). Also, CD19 should be LOW (as was so elegantly indicated to me in UWorld today). Do you guys make sense of First Aid's explanation of Bruton?

Members don't see this ad.

Ok guys, First AID is tripping.

In my 2014 addition, it says Bruton's agammaglobulinemia has decreased pro-B cells and NORMAL CD19 counts.

I thought that pre-B would be HIGH in this disorder (since the block prevents maturation at the pre-B stage). Also, CD19 should be LOW (as was so elegantly indicated to me in UWorld today). Do you guys make sense of First Aid's explanation of Bruton?

The enzyme deficiency actually occurs before pre-B cells (hence, low pre-bs and high pro-b). At least according to Abbas.

Members don't see this ad :)
The enzyme deficiency actually occurs before pre-B cells (hence, low pre-bs and high pro-b). At least according to Abbas.

I'm not too sure why so many sources still say this. The defect is clearly at the Pre-B stage. Btk is a tyrosine kinase receptor that is part of the pre-B complex. This is all confirmed in Robbins and Wikipedia as well.

I'm not too sure why so many sources still say this. The defect is clearly at the Pre-B stage. Btk is a tyrosine kinase receptor that is part of the pre-B complex. This is all confirmed in Robbins and Wikipedia as well.

Idk, but now I have no idea why Pro-B would be low.

Does anyone know why pro-b cells would be low?

I think transition is from pro-B to pre-B. Issue is the transition from pre-B cell to immature B cell. So all cells move to pre-B cell stage and get stuck there.

I think transition is from pro-B to pre-B. Issue is the transition from pre-B cell to immature B cell. So all cells move to pre-B cell stage and get stuck there.

FA13 says normal pro-B and it wasn't in the errata.

okay, this is why people need to calm the **** down when they see something they've never seen before and freak out.

I've had the path shelf, the CBSE, the micro/immuno shelf, 5 NBMEs, all of Uworld and all of Rx. That's something like 6000 questions.

How many times was I asked what population of B cells was increased in BAG? 0. How many times was I asked to identify lab values, complications, defects, inheritance, presenting signs/symptoms, mechanism of defect? Probably >50.

This is what people mean by knowing what is high yield and what is low yield.

FA13 says normal pro-B and it wasn't in the errata.

pro-B's should be normal. But they move to pre-B and get stuck there, right in the bone marrow since no signal from BTK.

okay, this is why people need to calm the **** down when they see something they've never seen before and freak out.

I've had the path shelf, the CBSE, the micro/immuno shelf, 5 NBMEs, all of Uworld and all of Rx. That's something like 6000 questions.

How many times was I asked what population of B cells was increased in BAG? 0. How many times was I asked to identify lab values, complications, defects, inheritance, presenting signs/symptoms, mechanism of defect? Probably >50.

I agree it is low-yield, and I only happen to randomly remember it.

Yeah, I realize this is low-yield. I was mostly shocked by the errata on the B cells.

But I can't see how pro-B would every be LOW. The only thing low would be the mature B cells. Everything else backs up and would be normal/high.

I'm more worried about understanding the defect that I am memorizing the minutiae. If pro-B are supposed to be normal, then I understand the deficiency. If pro-B are supposed to be low, then I don't understand it and that is concerning to me. In my humble MS1 opinion, understanding is high yield for just about everything.

pro-B's should be normal. But they move to pre-B and get stuck there, right in the bone marrow since no signal from BTK.

I agree it is low-yield, and I only happen to randomly remember it.

Ok I thought you were saying that pro-B should be low. I agree they'll be normal.