Bryn Mawr Personal Statement Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zorroy2k

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I have a question regarding the BM personal statement. The essay prompt is "why medicine". In answering this question, should I just write the same essay I would write if I were applying to med school, since this is the prompt that many med schools ask? Or should I be going into why BM, etc. I could really use some guidance. Also, I realize that this has been discussed ad nauseum but when people say don't use cliches, what they really mean is to show, not tell, right?. demontrate your reasons for wanting medicine instead of coming out and explicitly saying it. For example, if one of the things that drew me to medicine is patient interaction, then i sould demonstrate this via volunteer and EC experiences instead of saying i want to be a doc b/c i enjoy interacting with patients. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

If the essay prompt is "why medicine," then answer "why medicine." The goal is to create a cohesive story that lets the reader logically follow your life path thus far, ending where you are now (starting a medicine career). This indeed will echo essays for medical school, so keep it positive; don't talk about negative past experiences with physicians/medicine that "turned you off" etc. Do talk about your personal development and goals. Having a paragraph about why Bryn Mawr fits into those goals (if the question isn't asked separately) towards the end could be beneficial.

Good luck!

The point of the essay is to see how well you have thought through this decision. You should aim to demonstrate you have considered all your options and decided that medicine is the best/only path for you, and demonstrate this by referencing specific experiences. Maybe think of one specific interaction you had that was meaningful, and describe it to open your essay/set the scene before stepping back and writing about it from a thoughtful place.