BS Accounting MS Accounting, Applying to Med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mm855752

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok well I've graduated from a 4 year university with a B.S. in Accounting/Minor in Business Administration 2 weeks ago. I'll be attending Graduate Business School coming Fall for an M.S. in Accounting.

My Undergrad GPA Cumulative (Accounting) = 3.3 GPA

My Graduate GPA WILL BE (MS in Accounting) = 3.8 or Higher.

I'm a recently diagnosed ADHD (Attention Deficient Hyperactivity Disorder) individual, less then a yea ago. Ever since my diagnosis, my grades have been 3.8-4.0, and I'm certain i'll achieve a high GPA in the Masters Degree in Accounting. I'm medicated now after my entire life not realizing whats wrong with me, It finally feels good to feel what "Normal" is.

I know I need a minimum of 1 year in several science courses like Orgo Chem, Chem, Bio, Phys, etc. I'm certain i'll do perfectly fine and achieve A's in all of them.

Any suggestions on what Path I should take in order to get into Medical School?

I'm for certain that I'll be taking my Masters in Accounting this Fall(1 year program). I'll be taking the required science courses at the university starting this Summer as well and hopefully will finish it by the end of my Masters Degree. Clearly my Undergrad GPA is not suffice, but thats why I want to attend Graduate Business School and earn a high GPA which i'm certain i'll achieve to show the Admissions council in med schools that I am capable.

I'm also taking my CPA (certified public accountant) examinations, I already knocked one out - Audit section.

A little history about me
I wanted to do medicine since I was little, but always did horrible up till college, so based on my grades in HS, I thought I was never cut out to be a doctor, so I went to the accounting route. I got my act together a little, and managed a 3.0 GPA- Not great, but trust me, for me it was an accomplishment. One day I went into the doctors office and was just having a heart to heart conversation with her, and we talked a bit, and she asked if I was ever evaluated for ADHD. I wouldn't of even considered this in my entire life. She asked me to get evaluated, and I went through a 3-4 month evaluation period with a Psychologist, and Psychiatrist. I had PET Scans done, and other various exams. I was diagnosed with ADHD with specific behaviors in Impulsively, Inattention. Not really Hyperactive. I started medication about a year ago, and ever since, I actually feel normal. NO not the Euphoria, but i'm saying, I finally feel capable of being able to retain information and pay attention to material. Within my Last year in Undergraduate (senior), with over a 110 credits, I managed to pull my GPA from a 3.0 to a cumulative 3.3 with 130 credits. Now when I go to Grad school, I'm certain I can finally be focused and do wonderful in Graduate school as well as the required Pre-Req science courses.

Members don't see this ad.

Why will you get an accounting MS? This is a waste of time and med school will not care whatsoever about what grade you get. While you can, quit it and join a post-bacc program if medicine is your real goal.

Gotta agree with the above. The masters degree is a giant waste of time and so is the CPA test. Why would you do any of that if you don't plan on using it? Moreover, science classes are nothing like business classes, so saying you are gonna get everything done while doing your masters (in one year) is diving in a little too fast. My wife has her MAcc and she said it wasn't hard, but it was time consuming.

Med schools aren't gonna give a crap about taking your CPA (which is worthless without the required work associated) and your masters. They aren't going to change your uGPA.

Members don't see this ad :)
As someone who also completed all of his pre-reqs while attending a graduate program, don't be super confident about A's in everything (though obviously shoot for them). Graduate programs tend to move on their own schedule, and be prepared for your undergraduate science course instructors to not actually care that you can't get the homework in on time because you have some huge project due this week. Hopefully you luck out and get sympathetic instructors if you do this, but yeah, if there is any way to do it without being in a Master's at the same time, go that way.

Also, all the pre-reqs in one year is a little intense. I know people do it, but it's harder to guarantee A's in everything.

thanks for the reply everyone, obviously I didnt' think this through properly.

Honestly, I didnt even no there was such things as a postbaccalaureate program for Premed. I just did some hunting, and yea I think it would be best If i don't go to grad school for accounting.

I'll be applying to NYU Post Bacc program..

Hopefully, If i can focus and do really well in the Post Bacc program, I'll be able to get in. Just worried how Admission Committee in a med school will view my Undergrad GPA of a 3.3, and lets say I end up getting a 3.7-3.8 GPA for Post BACC? and a really good score for MCATs.

You can figure out your projected GPA by calculating what you think you'll get in your prereqs with your previous undergrad GPA. Once you have an idea, you can go to AAMC's website and see the average GPAs of matriculants. Also, your overall GPA and science GPA will be calculated differently. These will give you an idea of your competitiveness.

As for the postbacc program, you can also go the DIY route.

thanks for the reply everyone, obviously I didnt' think this through properly.

Honestly, I didnt even no there was such things as a postbaccalaureate program for Premed. I just did some hunting, and yea I think it would be best If i don't go to grad school for accounting.

I'll be applying to NYU Post Bacc program..

Hopefully, If i can focus and do really well in the Post Bacc program, I'll be able to get in. Just worried how Admission Committee in a med school will view my Undergrad GPA of a 3.3, and lets say I end up getting a 3.7-3.8 GPA for Post BACC? and a really good score for MCATs.
Many units 3.3 and few units 3.7 will probably balance out at 3.4. That would give you a good shot at DO and a possibility at MD.