BS Architecture - returning for post bac pre med

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

abrahe

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm enjoying the discussions on this site. Thanks to you all for your thoughts and suggestions, I've learned a lot.

I'm 28, have a BS in Architecture, worked in architecture and design for 5 years for a 'star' architect. But, these days there is little work - estimates in my area say 70% of architects are laid off.

So I'm considering going back to school this fall as a post-bac pre-med. Medicine and healthcare have been a growing interest of mine for many years. I'm primarily interested in equity in access to healthcare. I've also been reading the foundations of osteopathic medicine textbook and I love the discussion about forces acting on bone and spatial anatomical knowledge which both correlate to architectural structures and systems.

I'm currently dropping into a philosophy of medicine course, volunteering at a nonprofit that connects uninsured patients to volunteer providers and will begin volunteering at OHSU shortly.

I have good grades (3.7gpa) from my undergrad studies, and could probably achieve a similar gpa in the prerequisite sciences, if not better.

my questions:

1. if I were an MD/DO admissions committee i would wonder about a guy like me, you know? like, who is this architect going back to school for medicine?

2. are there others in the forum from design and architecture who are making or have made a similar transition? what have been your challenges?

3. do you all think some DO or MD schools will prefer a non-traditional student with this sort of experience? suggestions?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or feedback.

Members don't see this ad.

My dad's an architect and I sometimes forget how amazing it is he's able to find work when he does. He's started teaching a few classes also, but he's at the peak of his career experience-wise and barely getting by unfortunately.
DO schools tend to have more non-traditional students such as yourself so it wouldn't be anything new to the committees. Just take your pre-reqs very seriously, do well on the MCAT, and work on getting some solid healthcare experience. They'll want to know that you genuinely want to practice medicine and not just going for a back up plan.
I haven't personally heard of any architects going for medicine, but several engineers I've heard of have. Medicine is as much of an art as it is a science. I'm sure you'll do fine, good luck!

You will get asked about the transition in interviews. Its not really a big deal. A lot of people make career changes so don't let that discourage you.