BS Biology w/hons vs BS Neuroscience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

THEspaghettiman

Reaction score
Hello, I'm normally a lurker but I couldn't find a thread about this exactly. I am about to enter my senior year of undergrad and my university has just instituted a new BS Neuroscience major. I have made pretty concrete plans to switch into it from my current major, Biology. However, I have recently found that I have the option of writing an honors thesis for Biology, while Neuroscience does not yet have an honors program. Obviously an opinion thing, but I'd love to hear from people who have experience with med school admissions- what do you think is more attractive in a candidate assuming mid-range/high cGPA/sGPA/MCAT in either circumstance: A BS Biology with honors, or a BS Neuroscience without?

Members don't see this ad.

Honors thesis. Nobody cares whether you majored in Bio generally or some subdivision like microbio or neuro. Having a research project of your own however can make for a good AMCAS entry / conversation point. You can just do the thesis with a neuro lab if your reason for switching is interest in that field

Reactions: 1 user
My understanding is that no one really cares much about your major. I would choose whichever seems more interesting, which for me would be biology with the honors thesis! Having your own project is a lot of fun, and probably makes for a nice addition to your application.

Members don't see this ad :)
Research is highly overrated though. The honors thesis isn't the only way you can do independent research. OP, I suggest you place this honors thesis stuff aside and just pick the major you think 1)you will do well in and 2)you find interesting.

Flip a coin. You'll get the same results either way.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Doesn't matter. If you are interested in research, you can do it with or without writing an honors thesis.

Do whatever seems more interesting and enjoyable.

Hello, I'm normally a lurker but I couldn't find a thread about this exactly. I am about to enter my senior year of undergrad and my university has just instituted a new BS Neuroscience major. I have made pretty concrete plans to switch into it from my current major, Biology. However, I have recently found that I have the option of writing an honors thesis for Biology, while Neuroscience does not yet have an honors program. Obviously an opinion thing, but I'd love to hear from people who have experience with med school admissions- what do you think is more attractive in a candidate assuming mid-range/high cGPA/sGPA/MCAT in either circumstance: A BS Biology with honors, or a BS Neuroscience without?
Edit: I should've made this clear in the initial posting- I'll be working in a neuroscience lab and doing research regardless of which major I take, the only difference is that I'll get to write an honors thesis if I stay with Bio.

Edit: I should've made this clear in the initial posting- I'll be working in a neuroscience lab and doing research regardless of which major I take, the only difference is that I'll get to write an honors thesis if I stay with Bio.

ah I see. Still doesn't matter. Theses are a lot of work. I wrote one. Senior year would have been more relaxed without it. I don't think it'll make a difference either way.

ah I see. Still doesn't matter. Theses are a lot of work. I wrote one. Senior year would have been more relaxed without it. I don't think it'll make a difference either way.

I take a different view.

If a faculty member agrees to supervise your thesis, they're signing off on the idea that you'll be making scientific inquiry and operating with some level of independence. Some would say this is working on your own project even though the reality will probably be that you're working on a piece of someone else's larger project.

Simply working in a lab may or may not involve working "on a project" but may be more akin to lab technician work. It varies from situation to situation.

The former situation shows more scientific acumen and independent thinking.