BS/DDS Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ktquestions

Reaction score
Hi! To start out, I'm half African American and Japanese in a small American school in Japan. I'm in the process of looking for BS/DDS programs but I was wondering if I even have a chance to get into one of these programs.
Since I would be considered an international student, I understand my chances are even lower but here are my credentials until now. (Rising junior)

GPA- Around 3.8 and 3.9 for my freshmen and sophomore year
AP Japanese-5
(Planning to take)
AP Biology
APUSH
AP Government
AP English Language & Composition
AP English Literature
AP Computer Science
AP Calculus

SAT- 1300 (FOR NOW) Studying to get 1500

ECs
Chemistry Club
Founder/President of Medical Club
Service Club
Varsity XC (Champion)
National Honor Society
Student Council

ECs outside of school
Shadowed dentist for 10+ hours
Will be attending a one-week dental internship to volunteer at a local dental clinic in Ghana (2021 Summer)
Abacus class
Karate
Basketball club
TOEFL- 100/120
Eiken- Level 1

I'm most interested in Howard University's BS/DDS Program (6 years)

Again, I am an international student so I would have to be above and beyond other applicants but based on those credentials, do I have a good chance to get in Howard's program? In addition, would it be beneficial to take SAT subject tests?

Thank you so much for reading this!! Any advice or insight would help!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm several years removed from applying to college, so I have no idea about stats, but I would suggest you apply to as many undergrad/dental 7-year programs as possible to maximize your chances for such a competitive path. Don't just do Howard. I know Rutgers has a couple of colleges they partner with for their 7-year track.

Members don't see this ad :)
University Buffalo

Just found out California Northstate is offering a 3+4 BS/DMD program for their new dental school too. Since the dental school is so new, your competition for this program may be really low this year. And by the time you matriculate into the dental school, they will be fully accredited by then.

Just found out California Northstate is offering a 3+4 BS/DMD program for their new dental school too. Since the dental school is so new, your competition for this program may be really low this year. And by the time you matriculate into the dental school, they will be fully accredited by then.
Do you know how competitive these programs are especially the one at Howard? What can I do to stand out?

Do you know how competitive these programs are especially the one at Howard? What can I do to stand out?

Your stats are pretty exemplary for someone only in high school. They look even better than many dental school applicants. I think you ought to have a great shot at getting into Howard, especially coming from a life in another country. You should just be confident in your application to Howard and then apply to a couple other schools for backup. You seem like an ideal student they would love to accept and gain your insights from such a unique life experience you’re coming from.

Hi! To start out, I'm half African American and Japanese in a small American school in Japan. I'm in the process of looking for BS/DDS programs but I was wondering if I even have a chance to get into one of these programs.
Since I would be considered an international student, I understand my chances are even lower but here are my credentials until now. (Rising junior)

GPA- Around 3.8 and 3.9 for my freshmen and sophomore year
AP Japanese-5
(Planning to take)
AP Biology
APUSH
AP Government
AP English Language & Composition
AP English Literature
AP Computer Science
AP Calculus

SAT- 1300 (FOR NOW) Studying to get 1500

ECs
Chemistry Club
Founder/President of Medical Club
Service Club
Varsity XC (Champion)
National Honor Society
Student Council

ECs outside of school
Shadowed dentist for 10+ hours
Will be attending a one-week dental internship to volunteer at a local dental clinic in Ghana (2021 Summer)
Abacus class
Karate
Basketball club
TOEFL- 100/120
Eiken- Level 1

I'm most interested in Howard University's BS/DDS Program (6 years)

Again, I am an international student so I would have to be above and beyond other applicants but based on those credentials, do I have a good chance to get in Howard's program? In addition, would it be beneficial to take SAT subject tests?

Thank you so much for reading this!! Any advice or insight would help!!!
I applied to a couple BS/DDS programs a few years back (didn’t get in lol) and one thing that they seemed to emphasize is having a lot of shadowing in the field. They want people who are sure at 18 that they want to commit to 7-8 years of school! I would focus on trying to get as many shadowing hours as possible between now and when you apply.

Reactions: 1 user
Your stats are pretty exemplary for someone only in high school. They look even better than many dental school applicants. I think you ought to have a great shot at getting into Howard, especially coming from a life in another country. You should just be confident in your application to Howard and then apply to a couple other schools for backup. You seem like an ideal student they would love to accept and gain your insights from such a unique life experience you’re coming from.
Things that I’m worried about are my GPA and subject tests :(( Do you think this would affect my application negatively?

Things that I’m worried about are my GPA and subject tests :(( Do you think this would affect my application negatively?

I’m confused. Why are you worried about your GPA? Average GPA to get into dental school is 3.2-3.4. Yes, those are for college and not high school, but your stats look pretty high to me.

I’m confused. Why are you worried about your GPA? Average GPA to get into dental school is 3.2-3.4. Yes, those are for college and not high school, but your stats look pretty high to me.
Shouldn't high schoolers have a much higher GPA to enter this program since It's an advanced track compared to the traditional 4+4 track?