BS/DO program NYIT/NYCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2ill2imitate

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I've applied and been accepted to the BS/DO program with NYCOM. I'd like some feedback about the program from anyone that has been in it, or is in it. Anyone else that has anything to add, please do so. Also I'd like to know if the 3.3 at NYIT undergrad is hard to maintain? (Teachers, Classes, Students, Campus Life, etc.) Also the MCAT requirement of 24, is that very hard to obtain? etc.

Any information regarding anything above would be greatly appreciated.

PS. My Other Option is to go to Rutgers for 4 years of Pre-Med and then apply regularly to NYCOM, what would be a better decision. (I've heard that the acceptance to NYCOM is 13%, is it worth the risk?)

Members don't see this ad.

2ill2imitate said:
Hi, I've applied and been accepted to the BS/DO program with NYCOM. I'd like some feedback about the program from anyone that has been in it, or is in it. Anyone else that has anything to add, please do so. Also I'd like to know if the 3.3 at NYIT undergrad is hard to maintain? (Teachers, Classes, Students, Campus Life, etc.) Also the MCAT requirement of 24, is that very hard to obtain? etc.

PS. My Other Option is to go to Rutgers for 4 years of Pre-Med and then apply regularly to NYCOM, what would be a better decision. (I've heard that the acceptance to NYCOM is 13%, is it worth the risk?)

As a current 3rd year in the program, I can tell you that the 3.3 is not necessarily hard to maintain, but it is up to you to the work...some people in the prgm take things for granted and that's when they have problems. I know most people reading this probably think a 24 is really easy to get, but keep in mind you take the mcat in your second year; whereas typical premeds take it after their third. Also, I have personally found that I didn't build the best foundation through the science courses offered, so most of the learning for the mcat specifically, required A LOT of time on my own. Overall, I still think its a decent program, but like everything, it has its dysfunction. I think the best aspect of the program is that as long as you do what is necessary, you are guarenteed a spot.

Feel free to PM me if you have specific questions/ concerns. Hope I can help.

Fuega :)

2ill2imitate said:

MY son is starting in the program also, do you have an email, I willhave him email you.

Members don't see this ad :)
If I had to do it all over again I would have definitely applied to the BS/DO program at NYIT. Although campus life leaves something to be desired, the program delivers just what it says it will. The most difficult part of the guaranteed admission is the MCAT score. As already mentioned in a post above, the test is taken during the second year, and you do not have the luxury of that whole other year to study for it. I have three close friends who are attending or have attended NYCOM, one of which came through the BS/DO program. That individual is now a first year Radiology Resident at a major Long Island Hospital. Anyway, good luck.

dok101 said:
If I had to do it all over again I would have definitely applied to the BS/DO program at NYIT. Although campus life leaves something to be desired, the program delivers just what it says it will. The most difficult part of the guaranteed admission is the MCAT score. As already mentioned in a post above, the test is taken during the second year, and you do not have the luxury of that whole other year to study for it. I have three close friends who are attending or have attended NYCOM, one of which came through the BS/DO program. That individual is now a first year Radiology Resident at a major Long Island Hospital. Anyway, good luck.

thanks a lot, yah I was worried about those MCATS too.
But I mean if I just buckle down and study, I think the 24 is doable. ( I hope)

Damn, sorry for the raising of dead spirits ( I had to, I got my necromancy degree from Wizard 101) but the mcat score now required is a 28 , and the gpa is 3.5. THATS CRAYCRAY

Reactions: 1 user