BS in psychology, RN or BSN?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jwin88

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I have recently graduated college with honors in Arkansas with a B.S. in psychology and a minor in mathematics. I am seriously considering nursing school, but I have a few questions. There is a accelerated 2 year R.N. program offered close to my home that I am looking at. If I already have a B.S., do I need to get my B.S.N.? I would like to possibly become a nurse practitioner, will not having a B.S.N. make this impossible/more difficult?

I have taken many pre-requisites (initially started out as either pre-med or nursing then switched it up to psychology only to discover the difficulties of finding work...another story for another day) including anatomy and physiology 1&2, fundamentals of chemistry, calculus, psychology (since it was my major), and nutrition. For this reason, I feel like a B.S.N. will send me backtracking unnecessarily and that an accelerated R.N. program seems more logical/cost effective. However, I would hate to work all the way through this accelerated program only to discover that a B.S.N. is important to move up academically and professionally in the field.

Does anyone else have experience similar to mine? It's not a total change up since this is the track I initially started on, however, since I already have a B.S. that isn't in nursing I feel like I'm in a unique situation.

Members don't see this ad.

was exactly my situation...(psych degree for sale here...20 bucks OBO)

i wanted an adn, but was waitlisted...got right into a BSN program (~20 years ago)

accelerated pogram would be a great way to go (didn't have any when I went thru nursing school)

relax on the NP goal for now...

try nursing for a while, then decide...

You can't become an NP with an associates in nursing, even if you have a bachelor's in something else. Fortunately for you, there are online programs! So you can do a two year nursing program and get your associates degree, then do the BSN online. There are accelerated programs for RN to BSN, and even online programs for the NP.

I would focus more on whether or not you want to be a nurse, instead of planning to be a practitioner. If you want to be a practitioner, consider PA or MD/DO. They are trained from day 1 to be a medical practitioner, and you wouldn't have to do a repeat bachelor's, you'd just have to make sure you have the pre-reqs.

Members don't see this ad :)
So, chimichanga, you say go the BSN route?

The accelerated RN program won't start until July 2011, but I will be able finish it in 2 years. The BSN program, however, I cannot begin until August 2011 (at best) because of 2 chemistrys I have to retake (they will not transfer into the school's program) and takes 3 years (at best, maybe more) to complete...and it will cost substantially more. Also, they want me to take some general education classes that they require that I did not have to take during my undergraduate education at the same university, which I find frustrating and unnecessary (do I really need philosophy and developmental psychology when I am a psychology major from the same university??).

As far as work goes, will not having a BSN be a major obstacle if I go the nursing diploma route and I have a BS in psychology? Is there a major difference in salary between a BSN and an ADN?

And I feel you on the psych degree...I love the field and I was planning on attending graduate school, however, the job market for therapists (masters and PhD level) here in Arkansas sucks for lack of a better word. I started out on a nursing track and I am feeling a pull to go back that direction.

illegally smooth, I am leaning more towards the nursing diploma route at this time I think, however, I just want the option of becoming a nurse practitioner to still be available if I choose to pursue that at a later time. There is a university here (UAMS) that offers a practitioner program to individuals with an RN and a BS in something other than nursing, it just requires the completion of a portfolio dealing with experience and other education in lieu of a BSN as part of the application procedure. I just feel like going for the BSN seems like a much longer, pricey road for a goal that I can reach much more quickly and less expensively by going the diploma route.

Last edited:
So, chimichanga, you say go the BSN route?

The accelerated RN program won't start until July 2011, but I will be able finish it in 2 years. The BSN program, however, I cannot begin until August 2011 (at best) because of 2 chemistrys I have to retake (they will not transfer into the school's program) and takes 3 years (at best, maybe more) to complete...and it will cost substantially more. Also, they want me to take some general education classes that they require that I did not have to take during my undergraduate education at the same university, which I find frustrating and unnecessary (do I really need philosophy and developmental psychology when I am a psychology major from the same university??).

As far as work goes, will not having a BSN be a major obstacle if I go the nursing diploma route and I have a BS in psychology? Is there a major difference in salary between a BSN and an ADN?

And I feel you on the psych degree...I love the field and I was planning on attending graduate school, however, the job market for therapists (masters and PhD level) here in Arkansas sucks for lack of a better word. I started out on a nursing track and I am feeling a pull to go back that direction.

illegally smooth, I am leaning more towards the nursing diploma route at this time I think, however, I just want the option of becoming a nurse practitioner to still be available if I choose to pursue that at a later time. There is a university here (UAMS) that offers a practitioner program to individuals with an RN and a BS in something other than nursing, it just requires the completion of a portfolio dealing with experience and other education in lieu of a BSN as part of the application procedure. I just feel like going for the BSN seems like a much longer, pricey road for a goal that I can reach much more quickly and less expensively by going the diploma route.

Welcome to nursing. Two year degree or 4 year degree - you do the same job, same salary. It's something that frustrates every BSN I know. The only difference is that you need the BSN to advance, except for maybe a few programs in the country like the one you stated. Also, those promoted to nurse managers will be BSNs.

Have you worked as a nursing aid or had any real exposure to nursing thus far?

Wrong. Some programs only care if you have a RN and a BS/BA. Some want a BSN. Depends on the program.

You can't become an NP with an associates in nursing, even if you have a bachelor's in something else. Fortunately for you, there are online programs! So you can do a two year nursing program and get your associates degree, then do the BSN online. There are accelerated programs for RN to BSN, and even online programs for the NP.

I would focus more on whether or not you want to be a nurse, instead of planning to be a practitioner. If you want to be a practitioner, consider PA or MD/DO. They are trained from day 1 to be a medical practitioner, and you wouldn't have to do a repeat bachelor's, you'd just have to make sure you have the pre-reqs.

I have not worked as a nurses aide, however, I have shadowed some RN's and I know that this is a field I have a great interest in. I also think I may have caused some confusion; the program I am looking at is a diploma program, not an associates program. Also, I know for a fact that UAMS in Arkansas has a masters program that will accept non-BSN applicants if they either 1) take 3 remediation courses offered or 2) attest to experience that is equivalent to these remediation courses via the creation of a portfolio.

I'm just not sure I need/want to go the BSN route when I already have a BS in psychology, a field that is very applicable to nursing. However, I just want to be certain that I will be able to work and be competitive alongside BSNs and ADNs with just a nursing diploma. An RN is an RN is an RN, unless I'm looking at upper management positions....correct?

I have not worked as a nurses aide, however, I have shadowed some RN's and I know that this is a field I have a great interest in. I also think I may have caused some confusion; the program I am looking at is a diploma program, not an associates program. Also, I know for a fact that UAMS in Arkansas has a masters program that will accept non-BSN applicants if they either 1) take 3 remediation courses offered or 2) attest to experience that is equivalent to these remediation courses via the creation of a portfolio.

I'm just not sure I need/want to go the BSN route when I already have a BS in psychology, a field that is very applicable to nursing. However, I just want to be certain that I will be able to work and be competitive alongside BSNs and ADNs with just a nursing diploma. An RN is an RN is an RN, unless I'm looking at upper management positions....correct?

Wow, I didn't know diploma programs still existed.

Yes. An RN is an RN in the sense that we're talking about licensure. Your ability to work and scope of practice is the same whether you have a diploma, ASN or BSN. Many employers- hospitals with Magnet, or trying to get Magnet status in particular will prefer to hire a BSN. This may be problematic if newgrads are having trouble finding work in your region. But who knows? Maybe by the time you finish your program, newgrads will be back in demand again. It always seems to be either feast or famine with nursing. As for salary, I don't know the particulars of other hospitals, but at mine, there is a very small difference if you have a BSN. It is nominal, really- so if you do decide against the BSN, you won't be shafted from a salary standpoint. As far as careerbuilding into administration, it was only recently that our middle managers with ASNs were pressured/forced to get their BSN to maintain their position. However, the hospital also provides scholarships and financial aid for those that further their education. You have a wide variety of options. Take some time to sort 'em out and figure out what works best for you.

Hi All,

I have recently graduated college with honors in Arkansas with a B.S. in psychology and a minor in mathematics. I am seriously considering nursing school, but I have a few questions. There is a accelerated 2 year R.N. program offered close to my home that I am looking at. If I already have a B.S., do I need to get my B.S.N.? I would like to possibly become a nurse practitioner, will not having a B.S.N. make this impossible/more difficult?

I have taken many pre-requisites (initially started out as either pre-med or nursing then switched it up to psychology only to discover the difficulties of finding work...another story for another day) including anatomy and physiology 1&2, fundamentals of chemistry, calculus, psychology (since it was my major), and nutrition. For this reason, I feel like a B.S.N. will send me backtracking unnecessarily and that an accelerated R.N. program seems more logical/cost effective. However, I would hate to work all the way through this accelerated program only to discover that a B.S.N. is important to move up academically and professionally in the field.

Does anyone else have experience similar to mine? It's not a total change up since this is the track I initially started on, however, since I already have a B.S. that isn't in nursing I feel like I'm in a unique situation.

Arkansas State University in Jonesboro has a 12 month accelerated BSN/RN program. It's designed specifically for people who already have a bachelor's degree, and yes a lot of people who already have a BA or BS make the transition and become nurses. I'd just apply for that if I were you. All you need is a degree and a short list of prereqs which I think you've covered. This your hands down best option. It's shorter than the other thing you mentioned, and you get a BSN which is just better to have. I know you already have a B.S., but in nursing a BSN isn't on the same plane. I've asked a couple of people about this, and you'd be on the same rate of pay, etc as an associate's degree nurse with your psych degree.

Welcome aboard, btw!

http://www2.astate.edu/a/conhp/nursing/majors/bsn/2nd-degree-accelerated-program.dot

Arkansas State University in Jonesboro has a 12 month accelerated BSN/RN program. It's designed specifically for people who already have a bachelor's degree, and yes a lot of people who already have a BA or BS make the transition and become nurses. I'd just apply for that if I were you. All you need is a degree and a short list of prereqs which I think you've covered. This your hands down best option. It's shorter than the other thing you mentioned, and you get a BSN which is just better to have. I know you already have a B.S., but in nursing a BSN isn't on the same plane. I've asked a couple of people about this, and you'd be on the same rate of pay, etc as an associate's degree nurse with your psych degree.

Welcome aboard, btw!

http://www2.astate.edu/a/conhp/nursing/majors/bsn/2nd-degree-accelerated-program.dot

Thank you so much! This program looks like it would be a great option, All I need to take is Chem 1, 2, and Micro which I can knock out this year at my local community college. ASU does seem like my best bet, I just have to find a place for me, my boyfriend of 6 years, and my german shepherd to live.....Anyone know of good, cheap, pet-friendly rentals in Jonesboro? =)

Thank you everyone for your helpful replies, any advice during this transition period has been greatly appreciated!

Somthning for the OP to consider.... Financial Aid.

From what I understand, there is a cap to the amount you can borrow for an undergraduate degree. So if you borrowed significantly already, you MAY be out of luck for more loans in either an RN or BSN program (individual status may vary). Plus, consider the repayment of said student debt...if you have undergrad debt and you add more debt for a second undergrad degree, it can take significant amounts of time to pay off the debt.

This (borrowing limits) does not apply to graduate degrees, you may want to look into a MSN program instead.

If you have a bachelors (in economics but with good number of science courses) what is the shortest time to get a BSN or similar degree?

Sure do, but you'll find RN-MSN fast track programs and MSN programs for people that have bachelor's degrees in fields other than nursing.

Yes, I think Texas A&M Corpus Christi offers an accelerated MSN program for those with a science-related B.S. degree.

Know this: alot of hospitals are showing a preference for only hiring BSNs now, since they can cherry pick new hires with the surplus (notice I didn't say shortage) of nurses. This has a lot to do with achieving magnet status. Many hospitals are also encouraging their employees to get BSNs if they only have ADNs. If there is not much of time factor, and nursing is really really what you want, get that BSN coming out the door.