BS/MD Carribean

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1077948

disclaimer: am not looking into these programs, just was dumbfounded when I learned they exist

Today I learned that at least three universities have BS/MD programs with St. George's University as their MD partner.

how is this even allowed? why would anyone sign up for this?
I feel like this should be illegal :mad:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
disclaimer: am not looking into these programs, just was dumbfounded when I learned they exist

Today I learned that at least three universities have BS/MD programs with St. George's University as their MD partner.

how is this even allowed? why would anyone sign up for this?
I feel like this should be illegal :mad:
Why? It's not binding, and it's no more or less vile than Caribbean schools in general! It's just a way for the participating UGs to lure people into their programs, and for St. George's to try to get its hooks into people even earlier than usual.

TBH, it's a natural progression from ordinary BS/MD programs, who also use the lure of a "guaranteed" acceptance to a lower tier MD program to attract very high achieving HS students to their second tier UG programs, with very few exceptions like Brown and Pitt that are uber difficult to get into. These are predominantly students who would never otherwise give a second look at those UGs or MD programs, like Albany or Drexel. They work because they give students (and, really, their parents) peace of mind while giving the schools access to higher caliber students than they usually attract through regular admissions.

This is apparently the very same thing, although surely marketed to folks who would never get into a normal BS/MD program. You're right that it makes no sense, since admission to St. George's is not competitive, but, if someone is unaware and fails to perform any due diligence, like most other things in life, caveat emptor. If there weren't a bunch of dopes out there, lots of things wouldn't exist. Add this to the list.

Reactions: 1 user