BS/MS or DPT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PTinthemaking

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys and gals,
I'm currently attending the CUNY College of Staten Island in New York City, and plan on applying for the PT Program this year for the upcoming Spring '05 semester. Currently I have a 3.4 GPA but let me tell you it is very difficult to maintain it. This is the last year for the BS/MS program due to the DPT coming next year. My goal is to obtain my BS/MS in Physical Therapy and later pursue a DPT. Just trying to save myself some time and get myself out into the real world.

:D

Will it be necessary for a DPT?

Members don't see this ad.

It will NOT be necessary to ever have a DPT. It might make you more marketable in some areas (out patient mostly) but you will NOT make more money for having a DPT which I think is horrible. The education is very expensive and adding the extra coursework to get to a DPT should earn a therapist the right to command a higher salary but it just does not happen in the real world (I know this for a fact). I think your idea of getting the MS is a much better decision. It will get you out into practice sooner so you can start repaying loans or whatever you need to do and if in the future you want the DPT you can always get it (probably at a discount since your school will be converting). Also do not worry about becoming a competent therapist based on an MS vs. DPT. I know plenty of DPTs who failed the boards multiple times and BS and MS students who passed the first time. You will get from the education what you put into it. Good luck to you!

-J

Yeah, one of the main reasons that I went to the school that I did was because they had not yet switched to the DPT. No sense in spending an extra 20 to 30 grand for no real increase in pay or ability. If things ever changed where the DPT was required, all of the current BS/MS therapists would be grandfathered in anyways. If you are gung-ho for the DPT, I would go for it right away though. I wouldn't go back for a post-professional DPT, unless the place you are working at will pay for it or you just have the desire to have a few more classes! Most of the differences between the DPT and MS degrees are the medical screening classes (maybe a few more classes in a concentration area of interest for you) and a few extra months of clincal work.

Members don't see this ad :)
PTinthemaking said:
Hi guys and gals,
I'm currently attending the CUNY College of Staten Island in New York City, and plan on applying for the PT Program this year for the upcoming Spring '05 semester. Currently I have a 3.4 GPA but let me tell you it is very difficult to maintain it. This is the last year for the BS/MS program due to the DPT coming next year. My goal is to obtain my BS/MS in Physical Therapy and later pursue a DPT. Just trying to save myself some time and get myself out into the real world.

:D

Will it be necessary for a DPT?

If you plan on attending a CUNY school, while it is not necessary to get the DPT now, you might want to consider getting it sooner than later since the school is so inexpensive. Going back for your DPT later on will cost you a great deal more (probably 2 courses will cost the same as a whole year at CUNY).

Another factor to consider is whether or not you'll ENJOY the extra classes. I had a choice to get my MSPT and switched to the DPT because of classes like Health Care Management where we learned principles of practice management, accounting, organizational behavior, health law etc. We also had a course on education theory and practice which was awesome. So just make sure you enjoy the classes you take!

Good luck getting into the program there too... I know it's a great school. I've worked with some of their students!

Thanx freddy and all for the great advice. I'm going to stick with trying to get in for the BS/MS and eventually get a DPT because unlike most of you I do not have a Bachelors which I can use for a DPT. Yes, CSI has become a remarkable school when it comes to P.T., R.N., and P.A. The standards have been raised which filter out many people who really don't have the desire for the programs. I wish you all the greatest luck with all the challenges that life has to bring.

Good Luck and Thank You,
Billy

As a DPT, I would recommend the program. Given, it is true that you weekly paycheck will look identical to your co-worker with a BS, there is more to say about professional respect and appreciation. Each program is different, and there are some poorly managed DPT programs out there ? hence the poor board pass rate. Yet, the ability to each a doctorate degree in a year difference from the masters is great. If you just want to practice, get payed and go home than any degree would be fine. But, if you have some long term goals with your career choice, then DPT is the best step. The grandfathered inn concept is already in progress, but you still need to attend post-graduate classes (or do it online), still need to invest time and money. Sacrifice 1 year and 20K-30K, and you will be set.

Great thoughts guys.

I've been following the debates closely, and I see the pros and cons for both sides.

I did hear that the state of AZ was thinking of "upgrading" all current PTs - regardless of degree - to DPT. Kinda sucks, doesn't it....title inflation of sorts. If you're looking for the "respect" of collegues with a DPT, stay out of Arizona.

Best of luck in whichever path you choose.

dc

bigdan said:
I did hear that the state of AZ was thinking of "upgrading" all current PTs - regardless of degree - to DPT. Kinda sucks, doesn't it....title inflation of sorts. If you're looking for the "respect" of collegues with a DPT, stay out of Arizona.
dc

Where did you read that?

Fred-
There's a very interesting listserv I'm on called PTManager...it was a topic of hot issue maybe a month or 6 weeks ago. Coincidentially, there was another posting on AZ and title designations today - and their state board of PT just ruled that a PT in AZ must sign using "Fred, PT,DPT" - ie, PT first, then academic credential.

You can register for the listserv at PTManager.com...lots of neat tidbits, most of it deals with administration and management and whatnot.

dc

I think that is absolutely ******ed, but that is what many RN's are required to do this as welland it is commonplace to see the confusing nomenclature on the floors. Until there is seperate licensure requirements or even continuing education requirements then listing degree is an internal attempt to favor one degree over the other.