BS in Biology... MSN or DPT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DPTOH5

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated with a degree in Biology in May 2018. PT had always been my dream job but it was a difficult path to getting to this point. I applied last year and was denied by all of my schools, this year I tried again. I was not optimistic about my chances and being the impatient person I am I figured I would not get accepted once again so I felt the need to explore other options. Nursing had never been something I was interested in as I have been set on getting into a PT program for years but my undergraduate school offered an MSN program for non-nursing degrees. This program is 15 months long and only $45,000 in cost. I would practically have an advanced BSN degree.

The duration, cost, and potential with this degree excited me considering the duration and cost that DPT programs bring (3 years/120,000 tuition). Well, this week I began the MSN program on Monday and just yesterday I was accepted into the same schools DPT program. I need to make a decision by Friday to be reimbursed if I choose to go with the DPT program that begins in May.

Does anyone have any experience of either being in nursing and transitioning to DPT or vice versa? I know so much more about DPT than I do about nursing as I have previously worked as a PT aide. I figured I would enjoy nursing but also I am unsure. Any input is welcomed!

Members don't see this ad.

Wow. Tough spot. The easy answer is to follow what you really want to do. In most of my replies to situations like this I start out not wanting to direct everyone to nursing. By the end of what I find myself writing, I convince myself again that nursing is the most bang for anyone’s dollar. But that’s for people on the fence, and you are someone with a long held dream, so I will tread lightly with that in mind.

I’ll assume that you know a lot about physical therapy.... the work environment, the wages, the best kinds of locations, the employment landscape.... all that stuff. I’ll also assume that you don’t know much about nursing. Make no mistake, a masters degree in nursing still means you will start your career doing basic nursing stuff. You’ll be a very educated floor nurse that could have an edge later on when trying to get a promotion to management or teach other nurses at the college level.

The pros to he nursing degree (as I see it) are that 15 months and $40,000 is a quick and relatively cheap avenue to get a lot of education in a career that will give you a lot of options to work. At the same time, the fact that it is a basic nursing masters degree is a bit of overkill considering that I think the only next step that would be satisfying to you is to then go on and become an NP. You could just go get an accelerated bachelors and spare yourself the extra headache of graduate level classes. If you settle for being a nurse manager or teaching, you won’t be happy.... especially if your goal is to be a DPT. You really will only end up wanting to use that program as a vehicle to get to Np school, and that will be another 2 years and $40k in expenses. So where does that put you in comparison to your dream job? For $40k more than the $80k it costs to become an NP (and in the same amount of time) you could be in your dream program pursuing your dream job, and never having to look back and wonder. You will also never have to wipe someone’s butt for money like you would as a nurse.

To recap.....

Nursing.... $80k and 3 years (and possibly more) to get to the only really acceptable part of nursing for a person like yourself (NP).

DPT..... $120k and 3 years to do what you have always wanted to do, and what you are familiar with.

I think the decision for you is clear. I’d become a DPT and not look back.

Reactions: 1 user
And congratulations on obtaining your goal of acceptance to DPT school. Take a bit of time to appreciate what you’ve accomplished in doing that, and do so before you get back into the rush of school. I’m always pleased to see people succeed in something they’ve worked hard toward, and it’s even sweeter when it emerges out of what you think will be discouragement.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow. Tough spot. The easy answer is to follow what you really want to do. In most of my replies to situations like this I start out not wanting to direct everyone to nursing. By the end of what I find myself writing, I convince myself again that nursing is the most bang for anyone’s dollar. But that’s for people on the fence, and you are someone with a long held dream, so I will tread lightly with that in mind.

I’ll assume that you know a lot about physical therapy.... the work environment, the wages, the best kinds of locations, the employment landscape.... all that stuff. I’ll also assume that you don’t know much about nursing. Make no mistake, a masters degree in nursing still means you will start your career doing basic nursing stuff. You’ll be a very educated floor nurse that could have an edge later on when trying to get a promotion to management or teach other nurses at the college level.

The pros to he nursing degree (as I see it) are that 15 months and $40,000 is a quick and relatively cheap avenue to get a lot of education in a career that will give you a lot of options to work. At the same time, the fact that it is a basic nursing masters degree is a bit of overkill considering that I think the only next step that would be satisfying to you is to then go on and become an NP. You could just go get an accelerated bachelors and spare yourself the extra headache of graduate level classes. If you settle for being a nurse manager or teaching, you won’t be happy.... especially if your goal is to be a DPT. You really will only end up wanting to use that program as a vehicle to get to Np school, and that will be another 2 years and $40k in expenses. So where does that put you in comparison to your dream job? For $40k more than the $80k it costs to become an NP (and in the same amount of time) you could be in your dream program pursuing your dream job, and never having to look back and wonder. You will also never have to wipe someone’s butt for money like you would as a nurse.

To recap.....

Nursing.... $80k and 3 years (and possibly more) to get to the only really acceptable part of nursing for a person like yourself (NP).

DPT..... $120k and 3 years to do what you have always wanted to do, and what you are familiar with.

I think the decision for you is clear. I’d become a DPT and not look back.

Thank you so much for your input especially coming from the other side of things that I am not as familiar with! Obviously money is always a concern for anyone now in this generation but also at the same time I am going to be spending a lot of money so I might as well spend a little more if it means doing what I want to do. You made some great points that really got me thinking and I cannot thank you enough for taking time out and responding!

Is the MSN an advanced BSN or a Nurse Practitioner?