BSDH as a backup?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

akk1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've seen most people discourage students of getting a bachelors in dental hygiene if they know they want to become a dentist, but what about as a "just in case?"

I have interest in becoming a dentist, but the issue is I don't know if I'm strong enough in chemistry to get accepted/graduate d school. I was thinking about getting a BSDH then after being hit with lower level science classes for a few years, I'll have a better idea of what I'm capable of. If I do well, I'll enter a post bacc program to complete the requirements while working as a RDH. If I don't feel capable or dont do well in the post bacc, I'll still have a job in the field I love.

Another reason I'm not as interested in majoring in bio is I love to work with my hands and a BSDH program allows more of that than bio. Although, I would be open to the idea.

Members don't see this ad.

You will be at a serious ADVANTAGE by pursuing this path. You will have REAL EXPERIENCE and gained skills meanwhile other have not. There are PLENTY of people that major in non-Bio and get in with English majors so long as their pre-reqs were good. Don't let ANYONE change your trajectory on this--it's a great plan and generic science students have difficulty findings jobs when they take gap years because they didn't make it in the first cycle.

Reactions: 1 user
I have a BSDH and have practiced for 6.5 years now and I am applying to dental school this cycle. You can message me if you want some honest opinions or to know more about DH and DH school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Any updates on this? I'm actually an RDH contemplating applying to dental school.