BSHE Emory vs. HBHE UMich??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

swim35

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I was accepted into BSHE at Emory and HBHE at UMich...is there anyone else out there who made or is trying to make the decision between these two departments/programs at these schools?

I went to Emory for Admit Day, and was thoroughly impressed!!:) However, I did not get a chance to go to Michigan for a visit, but any of the admitted students who did visit...what did you think of it? What are your thoughts about UMich HBHE program?

Between these two schools, I've made a pros and cons list for both of the schools/programs: coursework offered, the focus of the program, job/internship opportunities available, networking, opportunities to find PH related jobs/internships outside of the school while pursuing MPH, research, curriculum, career services, student support, faculty availibility, etc...

One of the biggest downsides of UMich is its cost!...I'm out of state, and it ends up being over $10,000 more per year at UMich over Emory! :scared:

Any advice or feedback would be much appreciated. Thanks!! :)

Members don't see this ad.

I would pick Emory, but I'm biased. :)

If Music333 ends up around I know they were deciding between Michigan and Emory so hopefully they can add some input.

I don't think you'll go wrong with either.

One thing I asked myself was cost wise, can the more expensive one offer me benefits that the other cannot? It definitely helped me decide when a school that I had been waitlisted at accepted me and threw me through a loop. In the end I realized I would have access to the same opportunities at both schools with Emory being 10k cheaper than the BU.

I'm an epi person, but I was considering UMich and Emory as well...

Out-of-state tuition is ridiculous, isn't it?! When I got into Emory, I had pretty much decided to go there because the rest of the schools had high out-of-state costs (with UMich being the most expensive). But then UMich offered me a scholarship that made it about the same price as Emory, which is why I was confused.

Anyway, if your pro/con lists are about even, then go to Emory since costs are lower and you had a positive impression at visit day.

What are you interested in? I didn't apply to Emory, but decided that Michigan was my top choice (over Berkeley and UNC) because I want to be a community organizer for health in the US. Community-based participatory research was pioneered by HBHE faculty at Michigan that are still in the department today, so Michigan was by far the best program I could pick for my interests.

However, I got the impression at visit day that Michigan's HBHE department is just beginning to develop its work and faculty in the international sphere. So if you're oriented toward international health behavior and health eduction, Emory's definitely got a major leg up because it focuses on global health and has all those US-based NGOs. I have a friend who is interested in international health and got into both of these programs, and he's leaning toward Emory despite getting in-state tuition at Michigan because Emory is so much better for what he wants to do.