bsn vs rn

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

drkingdingaling

this probably has been posted before but what is the main difference between a bsn and an rn
thanks

Members don't see this ad.

BSN v/s RN : Well, they are both RN's. I guess u mean 2 year RN (associate degree nursing ADN) v/s 4 year RN (Bach. of science nursing BSN). U take the same license exam. They both are registered nurses. The BSN gives the nurse "a degree". I really don't know how the whole thing got started. I don't think it should take 4 years to be a nurse or 2 for that matter. I breezed through nursing school and personally thought the NCLEX-RN was easy. To prove my point: now there are many programs that will grant a BSN in 1 year! (all these are post bach.) So, if u can learn all the "nursy stuff" in 1 year, why is traditional school still 4 years long?

Hi,

This might make things clearer--
and
to expand on what temple1st said:

An RN can be Associates, Bachelors, or Diploma prepared.

Respectively the schooling in time is 2yrs, 4yrs, and 3 yrs.

The Diploma grad spends a great deal of time in the hospital (this has historically produced some of the real true nurses that have outstanding clinical and organizational skills). They graduate with a 'diploma'.

The Associates is a nurse who does not get the full liberal arts background that the Bachelors nurse receives. Much of the time the ADN is granted at a Junior or Communitiy College and the BSN at a University or 4 year college. Often the ADN is an older person (i.e., not fresh out of high school) and may be going 'back to school'. The first 2 years of the BSN are spent in the arts and sciences. The ADN is biology, anatomy, physiology, english, psych classes and then clinical. It is ususally more intense and the clinical may be held during off hours (saturdays or evenings).

You can go from your ADN to BSN through a bridge program. This generally takes 2 years fulltime.

There are a few programs where you can get a nursing degree in 1 year: they require a bachelors degree before hand and intense clinical (Yale has such a program).

Lastly, if i had to have my pick...(and i am a 4 year BSN with a Masters in Nursing) to staff a unit I would choose a mix of 2, 3 and 4 year grads. From my experience the work / clinical concentration is variable and each has its benefits. I also think they should streamline things and standardize the nursing programs. All Nurses sit for the same licensing exam.

Originally posted by Temple1st
BSN v/s RN : Well, they are both RN's. I guess u mean 2 year RN (associate degree nursing ADN) v/s 4 year RN (Bach. of science nursing BSN). U take the same license exam. They both are registered nurses. The BSN gives the nurse "a degree". I really don't know how the whole thing got started. I don't think it should take 4 years to be a nurse or 2 for that matter. I breezed through nursing school and personally thought the NCLEX-RN was easy. To prove my point: now there are many programs that will grant a BSN in 1 year! (all these are post bach.) So, if u can learn all the "nursy stuff" in 1 year, why is traditional school still 4 years long?

Ya, I did the same as you. Went to BSN school only to be able to get into NP school (I went 1 semester and dropped out, because I was learning the same amount and material I did in nursing school which is zilch, notta, zip).

But, in defense of the BSN taking four years... the first two years have nothing to do with nursing (all the prereq BS). I had to retake a couple of classes between the 3rd and 4th years (the Nursing part) and I actually loved "regular" classes after taking nursing ones, simply because I was bored stiff in nursing school.

I'm a practicing nursing now, but am hopeful my "sentence" will end with acceptance to med school.