BSN?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futureOTsj

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I'm new to this forum as I have been looking into OT schools. I've been debating and going back and forth from OT to Nursing. I applied to graduate programs this year and I am waiting on decisions from schools. At this point, I have been wait listed and I want to be prepared for my last admissions decision..

Throughout my undergrad, I have taken OT and Nursing pre-reqs. However, I got a C in Physiology and a C- in Microbiology. As a backup, I want to see where I can go to obtain either a BSN or MSN without having to retake these courses. My cumulative GPA is 3.3 and depending on schools, I have A's in other general pre-reqs.

Does anyone know of accelerated programs that will take my C-? If anyone has other tips or ideas, I am open to them! I even considered getting an AA or an RN license to get my foot in the door. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I have a friend that does OT, and I think he likes it. You can make pretty decent money at it, and it doesn't usually involve the risk of destroying your back or getting stuck with dirty needles, or dealing with drunks and their family mad at you for not getting them soda fast enough or telling them no. On the flip side, I work 3 days per week, and pick up work any time I want for premium pay. Nurses with a little experience can generally get a job anywhere they want. But they do make you earn every dollar. I was in the ER working this week, and pretty much only sat down to tap feverishly at the computer to do my charting, and eventually had to do it standing up... It takes it's toll. The jobs aren't remotely the same. I'd suggest shadowing closely for a while to see if you like either of those careers.

I think OT schools want to see pretty good grades.... It's grad school, and I imagine it has it's own set of rigors to navigate. Nursing is competitive all around, but I think the prereqs are slightly easier. However, you generally have to get pretty good grades for RN school due to there being just sheer volume of applicants. My nursing school had more applicants per seat than our nearest PA program, but then again, the pa program candidates probably had more academic heft to them. I wouldn't worry about a few C's, but physiology and micro are pretty basic courses, and there's no reason to do poorly in them. That might be your biggest problem.

Hi @pamac! Thank you for your input. I have been surrounded by many OTs and nurses. My family is full of nurses working in different settings and with different populations. I have observed and volunteered at locations with both and I found myself loving the jobs OT's get to do. I do love the work of a nurse since my mother is one as well. And like you mention the dirty needles and bedside is really not my thing. I'm considering nursing because there are many more programs than OT schools and they can be a little more lenient with acceptances. Honestly, I could do better in physio and micro but, I hope that I don't have to. I love that the work of a nurse can be so flexible and I can always change settings if I wanted to.

I looked into West Coast University in Los Angeles which includes the pre-reqs in their curriculum before entering core nursing courses. That way, I'll already be in a program and retake those courses. Then again, I can do those courses for the next year and then apply to much more affordable but competitive schools..

Members don't see this ad :)
You should plan on getting at least some bedside experience to have that in your background. The jobs out there that are beyond bedside usually need you to have familiarity of bedside nursing. I've noticed the desk jobs are filled from the ranks of tired nurses who want to save their backs and sanity. If you do step right into one if those positions, you could be typecasting yourself. You never get a second chance to have a new grad orientation period where they hold your hand and are more forgiving of mistakes. Your second nursing job, they will take for granted that you know your stuff to some degree, and if you don't, then you have a problem.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you. I will probably start calling places to see if I could volunteer and get some experience. I'm hoping that I will still like it after all the experience I will get..