BU dental laptop requirements = extreme??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NuckingFutz

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

So I was just browsing the laptop requirements and I found them to be a bit much for dental school:

Processor

* Intel Core 2 Duo / Centrino 2

Memory

Minimum 2GB / 4GB recommended :confused:

Drives

* 160GB Hard Drive (minimum) :eek:
* DVD±RW (±R DL) DVD and CD burner

Display and Graphics

* 15” display
* 128MB display adaptor (minimum)

Communications

* Wireless: 802.11b/g/n
* Ethernet: 10/100/1000

Software

* Windows Vista / XP Pro
* Office 2007 student edition

Does anyone know what kind of software dental schools would be using that would require one to have the need for this kind of performance?

The main issue is that I have a laptop that's about 3 years old that's still quite functional.

Intel® Core Proc Duo T2400 (1.83GHz/667MHz/2 X 1MB L2 Cache)
1GB DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz
Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 950
80GB 7200RPM Sata Hard Drive
85 WHr 9-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery

I just don't see why one would need a 160GB hard drive for class (I have a desktop also) or a DVD burner.... I'm wondering if you guys here find the need to have this kind of performance in class because I don't really want to shell out $$ for another laptop if the one I have is perfectly suitable.

Please give me your input! :love:

Members don't see this ad.

We have similar performance features on our laptops at San Antonio. I may be wrong, but I think a lot of it has to do with Vitalbooks and electronic record keeping with x-rays and stuff that will kept on your computer. If you don't have Vitalbooks or electronic recordkeeping at your school, then I have no idea why you would need a computer like that.

The spec the op mentioned is considered quite basic, aside from the centrino 2. If the school does not require that specification then stick with what you have - it'll be fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm sure the suggestions are for if you're looking to buy a new laptop because those specs are common for even $400-$600 laptops. If you have one that already works fine then just keep it unless you feel that its not sufficient. Just from personal experience, I have to multitask during class like having the notes on PowerPoint or Adobe Reader depending on format, and MS word if necessary to take notes or record certain points of the lecture, some browser to either goof off or look things up on wiki, a game if you're ADD like me...etc etc. And I'm personally really impatient so I want to do that seamlessly and don't like waiting to have to open old notes from previous lectures to look things up, but like I said before, none of those things are necessities and if you're more patient than I am (which isn't saying much) then you're probably fine as well.

Thanks for the input! I guess my concern is why they set the bar up so high to begin with. I just want to make sure I don't need to do some super graphical processing (for reasons I can't explain) on it which MAY justify the ridiculous CPU and graphics requirements.

I want to also assume that the use of laptops pertains primarily to the first couple years of school? (Since they're mostly classes)

Just want to save some $$ before school (prepped to live like a college student again :laugh:)

Hey everyone!

So I was just browsing the laptop requirements and I found them to be a bit much for dental school:

Processor

* Intel Core 2 Duo / Centrino 2

Memory

Minimum 2GB / 4GB recommended :confused:

Drives

Display and Graphics

* 15” display
* 128MB display adaptor (minimum)

Communications

* Wireless: 802.11b/g/n
* Ethernet: 10/100/1000

Software

* Windows Vista / XP Pro
* Office 2007 student edition

Does anyone know what kind of software dental schools would be using that would require one to have the need for this kind of performance?

The main issue is that I have a laptop that's about 3 years old that's still quite functional.

Intel® Core Proc Duo T2400 (1.83GHz/667MHz/2 X 1MB L2 Cache)
1GB DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz
Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 950
80GB 7200RPM Sata Hard Drive
85 WHr 9-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery

I just don't see why one would need a 160GB hard drive for class (I have a desktop also) or a DVD burner.... I'm wondering if you guys here find the need to have this kind of performance in class because I don't really want to shell out $$ for another laptop if the one I have is perfectly suitable.

Please give me your input! :love:

I'm a DMD2 at BUSDM and I can give you a good opinion. My class was the last to be required to purchase the laptop through the school. Now they just give requirements/recommendations. I don't really agree with the display and HD requirements, I think they are more of recommendations. Just as long as your have a somewhat modern computer with a decent processor you should be fine. I'm pretty sure as a DMD1 you get the software to load onto your laptop yourself. I have a macbook with parallels (can run windows) and the only time I run windows is when I want to print something from my laptop wirelessly. But with the school becoming more paperless with the new dean I'd just hang on to the old laptop until you get here and then see what happens.

Those requirements are pretty basic for today's computers. As others have said, don't go rush out and buy one right now. Use yours until it dies or is no longer adequate. (Then rush out and buy a new 13-15" Macbook Pro and throw windows on there:D)

hi :love:, this is the coolest happy FACE EVER!

Anyways back to the topic at hand. The requirements you listed is sort of the norm now in laptops. My laptop now, for $450 is running on a dual core 2.0 ghz (AMD) with 3gb of RAM and has 320 gb HD (although its 280, its complicated, it deals with the definition of a giga bit, in english terms and computer terms) and of course the mighty windows. I feel getting an apple is sort of wasting mulla. But if you just want something that looks nice, user friendly and kicks butt get an apple. (I had an ibook in college, and still that piece of **** wont die) But for a similar config pc its about half the price.

The requirements listed however, are recommended. Meaning that its desirable to have them but its not CRUCIAL. I called our IT department and asked if my ibook was ok and they said if I can get parallel I would be fine. Note that my ibook is 1.66ghz at 500mg ram with 30gb of HD. So I think you will be fine. However, you might want to upgrade just because u will probably have to in a year or so since ur computer is sort of old. If thats the case why not upgrade now? Its nice to start off grad school with a new puter and clean slate.

yes, the #'s they give is your standard laptop specs on the market now. but don't just buy a new one. either call the school's IT dept. and see if you're alright, or just do what lurchdubious said and use yours a bit til its done.

if not that, you could always just buy some parts. not sure about processor, but a memory stick (RAM) runs ~$40/gig, and for your HD you can always get an external, i bought a 250gb last year for ~$90, its like $75 now.

Hey thanks everyone for your replies!

I think for the moment I'll just stick with what i got until it goes past the point of no return and dies on me. The price of my old laptop the day I bought it set me back ~$900 at the time (which makes me cry now that I see what i can get today for that price :rolleyes:).

Anyways, I think that as long as I can get away with what I got i'll probably just stay put =D

Ironically I first bought the laptop when I was a Junior in my undergrad thinking it would be a great help since I wouldn't need to hand write any notes. As it turns out I just ended up surfing the web during class and not really focusing on the material (biiiiiiiiiiiig mistake :p). The way I see it the next laptop i'll be getting MAY be a tablet (assuming I can write on a virtual college ruled notebook hehe). I'll give technology 3 years to get it to the way I like it :laugh:

Any other input is ALWAYS appreciated since some others might be on the fence about this too!

Cheers!

I don’t know how things are working for first years now. I’m a fourth year at BU and, like the rest of my class, found the laptop price to be CRAZY steep. We all complained. The deal that made ours wicked expensive was, primarily, the IBM warrantee.

Looking back it was the best deal I could imagine.

A reality of life is stuff happens, I don’t care how careful you are. And your laptop will break once, if not multiple times, in 4 years. I’ve broken it probably 5 times not including the three times I broke the screen. You can't beat the no quesitons warrantee they provide.

I even spilled an entire Gatorade bottle on it and the only question IBM asked was which flavor. Even one better, they have staff on hand at the school to fix the problem right then and there if it's basic and you're under the schools warrantee. Otherwise IBM will get it done in under 7 days (shipping free)

Long story short. If I had to do it again and had the BU school supported "no questions" warrantee, I’d do it in a heartbeat.

Hey, I am a first year at BU dental. Does anybody have any advice on to go with a mac or pc, im looking at either a t400 or a mac book pro 15 in. Main question is, the programs that we receive and the cd text books will they work on the mac os or only on windows. Why do they require windows, is it for the future? or do we need it right away for first year. thanks

Hey, I am a first year at BU dental. Does anybody have any advice on to go with a mac or pc, im looking at either a t400 or a mac book pro 15 in. Main question is, the programs that we receive and the cd text books will they work on the mac os or only on windows. Why do they require windows, is it for the future? or do we need it right away for first year. thanks

You're new to SDN so it's okay for now but make sure you use the search function because there are SO MANY threads and posts about this topic.

Macs can easily run windows via BootCamp, Parallels, or VMwareFusion.

MacBook FTW :thumbup::thumbup:

Hey, I have 75gb lol, so I am with you on that smiley...
But apparently nowadays, 300 is the standard. My friends have 600gb :D:eek:

hey, redskins, thanks, but i am trying to find out exactly if there will be software that will require windows during the first year at BU. I am aware I can run windows with boot camp on mac but I am trying to find out if it will be necessary during the first year. Like the Text Book DVD, will that run on mac os. And if there will be any other things that will run on mac os or run only on pc. I might have just not asked the question right. Thanks again.

hey, redskins, thanks, but i am trying to find out exactly if there will be software that will require windows during the first year at BU. I am aware I can run windows with boot camp on mac but I am trying to find out if it will be necessary during the first year. Like the Text Book DVD, will that run on mac os. And if there will be any other things that will run on mac os or run only on pc. I might have just not asked the question right. Thanks again.
What does it matter if you'll have software requiring windows? Chances are, you'll need it sooner or later whether you can anticipate it or not. Be a good boy scout and just get an old copy of XP and get Fusion ($40 w/student discount) and you'll be good to go. My $.02.

hi :love:, this is the coolest happy FACE EVER!

Anyways back to the topic at hand. The requirements you listed is sort of the norm now in laptops. My laptop now, for $450 is running on a dual core 2.0 ghz (AMD) with 3gb of RAM and has 320 gb HD (although its 280, its complicated, it deals with the definition of a giga bit, in english terms and computer terms) and of course the mighty windows. I feel getting an apple is sort of wasting mulla. But if you just want something that looks nice, user friendly and kicks butt get an apple. (I had an ibook in college, and still that piece of **** wont die) But for a similar config pc its about half the price.

The requirements listed however, are recommended. Meaning that its desirable to have them but its not CRUCIAL. I called our IT department and asked if my ibook was ok and they said if I can get parallel I would be fine. Note that my ibook is 1.66ghz at 500mg ram with 30gb of HD. So I think you will be fine. However, you might want to upgrade just because u will probably have to in a year or so since ur computer is sort of old. If thats the case why not upgrade now? Its nice to start off grad school with a new puter and clean slate.
Your response is exactly what I needed to hear. I just bought this new Macbook Pro for entering this August, then realized there were laptop requirements for BU specifically stating a bunch of PC things. Nice to know that parallels will work and IT guys will be cool with it at BU. I know you posted this 3 years ago, but thanks from today! You must be close to done with BU or already finished. How do you like it?

I read all the messages above and I was just wondering if any current dental students ever had issues using a mac while in school? I want to buy a mac but I have never heard of that parallel software and I dont want to run into any issues in class or exams.

I read all the messages above and I was just wondering if any current dental students ever had issues using a mac while in school? I want to buy a mac but I have never heard of that parallel software and I dont want to run into any issues in class or exams.

Over 70% of the students at my school have apple laptops. Its pretty common at almost all dental schools now. I wouldn't worry about it. You can always call and ask.

Your response is exactly what I needed to hear. I just bought this new Macbook Pro for entering this August, then realized there were laptop requirements for BU specifically stating a bunch of PC things. Nice to know that parallels will work and IT guys will be cool with it at BU. I know you posted this 3 years ago, but thanks from today! You must be close to done with BU or already finished. How do you like it?

pretty sure 75% of my class has a mac, so you'll be fine.