BU GSDM or Touro (NM for clinical)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which school? :0

• BU

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • Touro

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

sod

Reaction score
Please help me decide! There is a similar post on here, but that was back in 2016 :c.
I've spoken to current students, and they all seem to like their respective schools. I am OOS for both. Cost wise, they are similar. With NM's lower living expenses, I assume Touro will be around 20k cheaper. I am not sure if I want to specialize, but it's not off the table.

BU
Pros
  • I've lived here before and know the area
  • new facility
  • got the history, so it's more established and got better networking opportunities (there's also the yankee conference)
  • faculty don't try to fail and are pretty responsive
Cons
  • need to find patients (this can be tough from what I've heard from current students)
  • this post says bottom 5-10% drops out but I'vr never heard of this before BU (IS) vs NOVA (OOS), so if anyone can comment on this, that'd be awesome
Touro
Pros
  • new facility
  • don't need to find own patient
  • after talking with current and past students it seems that the faculty really cares and listens. Everyone liked the school. I was also told that it's not as cutthroat (after talking and comparing with their friends in other dental schools)
  • possibly a lot of clinical experience in NM, but no one knows how it's going to go since the class of 2027 will be the first ones to go there (but people on reddit and sdn also say that you learn more the first year out of school than all 4 years in school)
Cons
  • still a relatively new school, so it's not as good for networking
  • there's not much to do around the area (I don't really mind this tbh)
  • doubling the class size since last year
I added a poll, but feel free to comment below (I'd also like to learn more about each school). The 2nd deposit deadline is fast approaching ><

Members don't see this ad.

Please help me decide! There is a similar post on here, but that was back in 2016 :c.
I've spoken to current students, and they all seem to like their respective schools. I am OOS for both. Cost wise, they are similar. With NM's lower living expenses, I assume Touro will be around 20k cheaper. I am not sure if I want to specialize, but it's not off the table.

BU
Pros
  • I've lived here before and know the area
  • new facility
  • got the history, so it's more established and got better networking opportunities (there's also the yankee conference)
  • faculty don't try to fail and are pretty responsive
Cons
  • need to find patients (this can be tough from what I've heard from current students)
  • this post says bottom 5-10% drops out but I'vr never heard of this before BU (IS) vs NOVA (OOS), so if anyone can comment on this, that'd be awesome
Touro
Pros
  • new facility
  • don't need to find own patient
  • after talking with current and past students it seems that the faculty really cares and listens. Everyone liked the school. I was also told that it's not as cutthroat (after talking and comparing with their friends in other dental schools)
  • possibly a lot of clinical experience in NM, but no one knows how it's going to go since the class of 2027 will be the first ones to go there (but people on reddit and sdn also say that you learn more the first year out of school than all 4 years in school)
Cons
  • still a relatively new school, so it's not as good for networking
  • there's not much to do around the area (I don't really mind this tbh)
  • doubling the class size since last year
I added a poll, but feel free to comment below (I'd also like to learn more about each school). The 2nd deposit deadline is fast approaching ><
where are friends/family?
where do you want to practice in the future?

Members don't see this ad :)
hmm, that's right in between

you shouldn't "assume" which is cheaper...
the reason why I had to assume is because there's no prior data for CoA with NM in mind. The ~20k is based on what I've researched and calculated

but as you can see, there's a lot going for both schools and nothing extreme is pushing or pulling me one way or another, hence why I'm at an impasse

Welcome to the forums. Of course, a Touro-NM site wasn't in play in 2017.

I would be interested in clinic management. Since NM is underserved, who are the preceptors? How are they calibrated to grade everyone fairly and comparably to the Valhalla group? No doubt the technology will be newer, so how they handle patient management should be rather smooth.

Welcome to the forums. Of course, a Touro-NM site wasn't in play in 2017.

I would be interested in clinic management. Since NM is underserved, who are the preceptors? How are they calibrated to grade everyone fairly and comparably to the Valhalla group? No doubt the technology will be newer, so how they handle patient management should be rather smooth.
Thank you. Yep, I am aware

Hmm, that is some food for thought. No one knows anything, and we were just simply told that the clinic is still under construction. So I'm just as lost as the next guy haha

Reactions: 1 user