Bu: Mams 2012-2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mprs

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Who is applying for the 2012-2013 cycle? I'm so excited. Just finishing up the application now. I do need to retake my GRE I think, but I really hope I get in. Discuss away!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey! I got in for the 2011-2012 academic year, but deferred a year and will be attending Fall 2012. Looking forward to it!

Good luck you guys! I'm currently in my first year of the MAMS program so if you have any questions I might be able to help.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey! I'm applying to this program too, among others... I'm taking the MCAT on Jan 28 so as soon as my scores are ready hopefully my app will be complete!

Good luck on the MCAT! I'll be taking it in August so I don't have to worry about it while I'm in the program. I took the GRE for my application, it was easier/quicker to prep for :)

Good luck on the MCAT! I'll be taking it in August so I don't have to worry about it while I'm in the program. I took the GRE for my application, it was easier/quicker to prep for :)

That is a good idea! Have you heard back about your application? I'm taking the MCAT because my original plans were to apply to medical school last application cycle so I took a Kaplan prep course already and just want to get the test over with! Good luck, maybe we'll be classmates! What other programs did you apply to?

I applied last-minute last August for the 2011-2012 cycle, but deferred for a year so I could wrap up some work projects. I didn't apply to any other programs, I live in the greater Boston area and wanted to stay local. I felt like the BU Program was the better choice for me rather than the Tufts one.

Hey guys I am a 2nd year BU MAMS student who was the biochem TA this year, and just got into BU med. So if you guys have any questions please don't hesitate to post here and I will do my best to answer them.

@IntelInside - I know 2nd year is not required but highly preferred at BU MAMS. what are your two cents on that? I really don't feel I should waste an extra year, but of course I don't have a strong reason besides that. :/

I am going to be applying in March/April - taking my MCAT on March 24th. What are my chances?
Bio Major at unranked not well-known university in TX
cGPA = 3.2 (no upward trend…)
sGPA = 3.1
MCAT practice test 30+ (I m hoping to break that 30 mark…I have got 36 as the highest on one of the AAMC tests)
very very strong EC's, leaderships in on and off campus organizations, research experience at a medical school and strong Shadowing experiences BUT no hospital volunteering due to work
worked while in college most of the time but not throughout all 4 years… Currently not working, senior graduating in May, 2012

What do you think?

@SMPtoMD

Well I wanted to do that research year, even though I did have 2 other research experiences before it, because I want to go into orthopedic surgery and research is essentially a requirement for getting a residency spot in such a competitive specialty.

GPA is average among those accepted into BU MAMS so I think you will have a strong shot if you do decent on your MCAT

thanks for your input, i have PMed you with some more questions.

Thanks,
SMPtoMD

what degree track are we supposed to choose? there are dual options on the application website (like the one with MPH). Do we just choose normal MA in medical sciences?

Has anyone applied for the Oral Health track? Heard anything back yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
what degree track are we supposed to choose? there are dual options on the application website (like the one with MPH). Do we just choose normal MA in medical sciences?

Yes apply to the MA in Medical sciences, most of my peers decided on concentrations and dual degrees when they got here and after they attended orientation.

Hi guys if you have any questions feel free to ask. The program is challenging and you should be well aware of that before coming. Confidence alone is not enough. You need to work harder than you ever have before. Expect 8-10 hours of study daily outside of class and expect that even with that you may struggle. Do not come here with anything short of that determination. It is the most common mistake students make.

With that said the opportunity provided will be one in a lifetime. So work hard and begin a great part of your life :)

Last edited:
Hey everyone. I just wanted to say that I got accepted into the program today. I applied to the oral health track and received an email from Theresa Davies this morning.

Congrats! I recently submitted my application and am waiting to hear if I will be joining you guys!

Hey everyone. I just wanted to say that I got accepted into the program today. I applied to the oral health track and received an email from Theresa Davies this morning.

Same here! Excited for the opportunity. :)

Congrats! When did you submit your application?

Thanks! Congrats to all of you that have also been accepted. Let me know in the near future if anyone would be interested in apartment hunting together :)

I think I submitted my app on 12/3, but it wasn't considered complete until mid-December. It took a bit longer because of my transcripts.

I was accepted into the MD track, just saw this thread.

Submitted Jan 14th (or so), Accepted Feb 10th.

Just got accepted today! Submitted exactly a week prior.

Hey guys, I'm going to be applying for this cycle as well. Taking the GRE in March and the MCAT in May. Has anyone been accepted just off the GRE scores?

Hey guys, I'm going to be applying for this cycle as well. Taking the GRE in March and the MCAT in May. Has anyone been accepted just off the GRE scores?
I got in just on GRE scores. I didn't have time to take the MCAT before the deadline passed. In the info session, the admissions person said that they don't care which one you take.

I got in just on GRE scores. I didn't have time to take the MCAT before the deadline passed. In the info session, the admissions person said that they don't care which one you take.

Oh good! Thank you. :)

Got accepted too! Looking forward to meet you all!

I'm a soon to be second year MAMS looking for a female roommate entering the program to live in James Court (right across the street from school, these fill up quick). I am quiet, clean, and not into bringing the party home: I would hope the same of you. I have a small clean and quiet dog- so you must be a dog lover who is not bringing pets to Boston. PM me if you're interested!

Last edited:
Not only did I get accepted into the MAMS program, I officially accepted the offer this weekend! Cannot wait to meet you guys this fall (or summer perhaps)!

those who got accepted already - would you mind sharing your stats?

Hi guys if you have any questions feel free to ask. The program is challenging and you should be well aware of that before coming. Confidence alone is not enough. You need to work harder than you ever have before. Expect 8-10 hours of study daily outside of class and expect that even with that you may struggle. Do not come here with anything short of that determination. It is the most common mistake students make.

With that said the opportunity provided will be one in a lifetime. So work hard and begin a great part of your life :)

It looks like the COA is around 58k. I want to get a 1 bedroom and it seems that it will run around 1600 to 1900 per month. Would taking out the max amount of loans be enough? According to their budget housing costs around 12k which would only be attainable living further from campus.

Innokus,
I don't think the student loans will cover that much. Because they give some money for things like food, books, transportation ect you could probably do $1,200-1,300 a month. (I pay $1300 with a bit of help from my parent for a hundred or two).

Accepted and confirmed. A quick question: Is there any on-campus housing? Is there a housing complex near the campus that I can get in touch with in regards to housing?

The MSR (new albany building) is not open to graduate students as of now. It's only for med students.

Is it relatively easy to get housing there? I do not want to spend my time commuting when I can be working... given how demanding this program is.

From what I can tell so far, if you wanna live close to campus you're gonna pay dearly for it. If you can find a decent place that is. Otherwise you're looking at a 30-40min shuttle ride. I donno how that changes during winter with the snow storms and all. Maybe someone that's currently in the program can chime in.

Is it relatively easy to get housing there? I do not want to spend my time commuting when I can be working... given how demanding this program is.

You are accepted early enough that you should not have a problem finding housing nearby. If you put yourself on the list for Harrison court for next year you'll likely get it. I personally believe for your first year its worth it to be very close to campus and not have to commute; especially during the first semester.
If you do not want to live at Harrison Court or James Court and still want to live nearby; locals have suggested to me that rather than using craigslist you use newspaper ads. You can find these ads online ( http://www.boston.com/realestate/renting/?p1=GNRO_RE_Rent )

Got wait-listed for Harrison... tough market!

Does anyone know if they are still accepting new applicants?

+1 Truth!

PS I'm a grad of BUSM MA in Medical Sciences class of 2011 for those who have questions. some changes have since been made to the program since I was in it.

Like what? Really interested...

Don't worry that's probably cuz there's still a lot of people who haven't decided yet if they are renewing or ending after their lease is over. People get off that thing all the time as summer goes on.

Should I call and see where I am on the list? My number one priority is to succeed in the program and I feel that being across the street from campus would make it much easier.

Additionally, where are these new changes?

Should I call and see where I am on the list? My number one priority is to succeed in the program and I feel that being across the street from campus would make it much easier.

Additionally, where are these new changes?

Last year I remember you had to actually go and visit it before they officially put you on a waitlist or something similar. So maybe calling to see where you are just to make sure there's no other loops to jump through might be good.
But as Guju said, I think the residents have to give a 3 month notice if they are leaving and most people I know had their leases start in the late summer so in a month or two the waitlist should start to move. (As someone who lives across the street, it helped tremendously!)

One of the changes I know of is we no longer have 2 tracks (We still have an oral health track, but previously the entire class was split into 2 groups and they took different courses during different semesters). Endocrinology is not an entire GMS core course anymore, Histology is one semester now as well.

that seems excessive..

that seems excessive..

Hmmm yea a little. Assuming 10 hrs of studying plus 7 hours of lectures and labs during the day, you have 7 hours left for eating, sleeping, hygiene, transport, cooking, and ECs. I'm just a little skeptical at the idea of people studying TEN hours a day and still STRUGGLING.

If they are still struggling after all of that studying, perhaps they are not very efficient studiers? Time for a study-technique change! :) I can see about 3 hours on average going over notes and reading etc, more when it comes to test times of course.

Also, when do students usually move in for the program? Have any of you guys considered finding a summer job before school starts?

Hey I don't want to post here but I'm a BU MAMS grad so if you have questions I will answer if u PM me.

I just don't like posting much anymore if I can avoid it by PMing individuals.

Hmmm yea a little. Assuming 10 hrs of studying plus 7 hours of lectures and labs during the day, you have 7 hours left for eating, sleeping, hygiene, transport, cooking, and ECs. I'm just a little skeptical at the idea of people studying TEN hours a day and still STRUGGLING.

We are told by the program director during orientation to reserve one hour a day to do something for our selves.
We are not in classes for 7 hours a day.
3 days a week you have physio (1 hour)
4 days a week you have biochem (2 hours)
and then you have your elective (1-2hours)
No labs.
There were days I easily studied ten hours a day. When I'm being a good student I'm at school about 11 hours a day. so that's maybe 3 hours of classes, an hour of food and maybe an hour of just wasting time that you spent talking to people in the library or hunting for an empty study room.
I'd say 4-5 hours outside of class on an average day, when exams are coming mine upped to about 8 hours a day.
You won't be doing much cooking here, and that is why it is best to minimize your transport. Your professors don't schedule the course material with your transit, cooking, or TV watching schedule in mind. This is not undergraduate; these are USMLE step 1 styled exams.

Also, when do students usually move in for the program? Have any of you guys considered finding a summer job before school starts?

Most people seemed to have moved in within 2 weeks before classes. I didn't really know of anyone else there are early as I was.
A lot of people I spoke to came as late as they did because they had summer jobs back wherever they were from.