BU MPH program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gatorpaws02

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I want to hear you thoughts about the MPH program at BU because it seems like a solid program and has a variety of opportunities to delve in as a health professional career. Also, I would like to know about the experiences at BU, if you are currently enrolled in the program, and also how are you funded financially (i.e. scholarships, grants, loans, etc) and the availability of housing. Also, I would like to know your perspective in the two different options between doing the MPH program or doing an MD/MPH program. If you are not afraid, please share your stats (i.e. GRE or MCAT scores, GPA) and what experiences did you have before enrolling into the program.

Thank you for your understanding and have a wonderful day!

Gatorpaws02

Members don't see this ad.

Greetings!
I am at BUSPH, and LOVE it! Best decision I made, hands down.

experiences at BU: AMAZING profs! Small program and small class. A BIG plus in my book.
funded financially: scholarships, grants and loans . And I am working, lots of job opp. here at the school and in Boston.
and the availability of housing: I live in Roxbury, it is safe and cheap. People give Roxbury a bad name, but it is totally fine. I am a female and feel ssafe.
Also, I would like to know your perspective in the two different options between doing the MPH program or doing an MD/MPH program? Not sure.
GPA: 3.65, worked 6 years in housing

Members don't see this ad :)
Truelotus! Thank you so much for responding! If you don't mind me asking, how long will it take you to finish the program? I asked admissions and they told me that the program can be done in 1.5 years but depends on the individual. Also would you mind sharing about the concentration that you are studying at BUSPH? Any recommendations for applying to the program such as personal statement, what do they look for in an applicant?

Thank you so much!

Dear all,

I invite any people who are in the BU MPH program to post any useful information to this program. Help a future MPH student :)

Thank you all!

Dear all,

I invite any people who are in the BU MPH program to post any useful information to this program. Help a future MPH student :)

Thank you all!

You might want to also get the opinions of those who choose other schools over BUSPH, just hearing from current student might well give you a biased viewpoint as obviously anyone in any program might be predisposed to believe that their schools is tops. The whole issue is muddled as some schools excel in certain areas, but are behind the curve in others.

BUs program is geared towards working professionals, as far as I know, and the majority of classes are at night. If you are fresh out of undergrad, especially if you have loans, you'd be better off working for a school where you want to do the mph to get discounted tuition and to save up, versus just piling on more loans and going to BU.

Thank you for your insight! I will consider other schools as well, and the idea of working for the school of my choice and do the mph program at a discounted price.

I enjoyed my time as BU MPH student. Bolingbroke is right that they make the program accessible to working professionals by having the mandatory classes at night time. However, the majority of students are full-time students and courses are offered throughout the day. The program (at the time) was also geared more towards professional development and working in public health practice than say schools like Harvard, Hopkins, or Yale that might be more geared towards research methodology. Many of the people working at the Massachusetts Department of Public Health hold BU degrees, so that's a common work environment/setting that BU graduates end up.

Reactions: 1 user
I enjoyed my time as BU MPH student. Bolingbroke is right that they make the program accessible to working professionals by having the mandatory classes at night time. However, the majority of students are full-time students and courses are offered throughout the day. The program (at the time) was also geared more towards professional development and working in public health practice than say schools like Harvard, Hopkins, or Yale that might be more geared towards research methodology. Many of the people working at the Massachusetts Department of Public Health hold BU degrees, so that's a common work environment/setting that BU graduates end up.

Thank you Stories for sharing your point of view. I will consider this as I do my search within this program and other schools.

I would also like to add about my interests. First, I graduated with a Bachelor's degree in Microbiology and I am currently doing a master's in biomedical sciences (since I am thinking to still apply for medical school). However, Before finishing my bachelor's degree, I had a career seminar class and found out about public health, and I became more attracted to that field, especially to the fact that I would love to combine my interests on infectious diseases and public health. Also, I looked into epidemiology programs as I started my master's program and definitely like the curriculum and the opportunities available to students (not only locally but fellowships and ways to start a career). Though, I came across with other institutions offering MPH in Infectious Diseases and realized I could consider both to apply. I have definitely like the BU MPH Epidemiology concentration and I would still consider other institutions as well. I have laboratory skills, and have volunteered at the Hospital for the peds department, and will be volunteering for a clinic soon to give me more exposure to the public health area. It has been difficult to find internships to do with epidemiology (since I have not much of a background in public health), but I have that willingness to pursue and not give up on my goals in public health and medicine). Hopefully this can give you more about myself. I still have to read more upon and finalized my research on schools and finding ways to still make a difference in the community.

Thanks for the insight. In your opinion, would that mean Harvard or Yale may not be the best place to go if I'm interested public health practice? I'm currently a post-doc looking to switch careers but still dabble in a little research.

(I just realized this is an old thread)