General Admissions & OTCAS BU OTD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

THATotGIRL

Reaction score
Hey y’all, I interviewed 2/22 for the Boston University OTD program. Did anyone else and have any idea on when we’ll hear back? Also, any general thoughts on the program? I liked the curriculum but thought their facilities were lacking a little bit. Where else is everyone waiting to hear back from / top choices ??

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed December 7, and we heard back December 19. Obviously I don't know for certain, but I would imagine a similar timeline. Hope you hear soon! I ended up accepting my offer, but I am still slightly unsure about the program. I think that the faculty all seem very knowledgable, but I am a bit fearful that I will be a more prepared researcher than clinician. I loved Boston, and I already told other schools I wouldn't be attending. I still feel a bit uneasy though. I think it has taken a while for information to be distributed to us, although I do recognize that they are probably waiting until they have completed interviews and received acceptances and that lot. Any more thoughts/feels on the program?

Reactions: 1 user
I interviewed on 2/22 also! And for the early decision group as well as last year's cohort it seems like it took about 12 days or so for decisions to come out, so hopefully it will be similar this time around!

I really liked the school and the curriculum, but I agree that it came off as a bit research-focused. I think what's cool about it though is that the summers are online and the third year consists of mostly Level II FW which gives us the freedom to travel to new places or go back home and have that flexibility. So even though it's a year-round program it doesn't necessarily have to be all on campus, which I like the idea of. Definitely hoping it prepares its students well enough to be clinicians though!

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree to all of the above. I’ve actually talked to some graduates who feel the same. but i think the hands on work makes up for the research base - although, with a full disclosure, i’m interested in the program because of the research focus!

also - any insights or thoughts on the TBD accreditation ?
On interview weekend they said that it wasn't even a question whether they were going to be accredited or not. It's just part of the process but they have no concerns about that at all. The audit is pretty soon too, I think they said.

Out of impatience/boredom, I've been browsing the BU site, and it's made me realize that they may have more/better facilities than maybe we were able to see on the tour. Centers & Labs | College of Health & Rehabilitation Sciences: Sargent College

Maybe you guys have already checked it out, but I was looking at that link and it lists a bunch of the labs that I think would provide both clinical and research experience. Plus the clinical practice tab on the same site introduces some other cool resources that students would be able to participate in. Just thought I'd throw that out there since some of us were worried about the research vs. clinical aspect :)

Out of impatience/boredom, I've been browsing the BU site, and it's made me realize that they may have more/better facilities than maybe we were able to see on the tour. Centers & Labs | College of Health & Rehabilitation Sciences: Sargent College

Maybe you guys have already checked it out, but I was looking at that link and it lists a bunch of the labs that I think would provide both clinical and research experience. Plus the clinical practice tab on the same site introduces some other cool resources that students would be able to participate in. Just thought I'd throw that out there since some of us were worried about the research vs. clinical aspect :)

Did they tour you around the labs on your interview day? At the December interview, they had prof/students in each lab explaining their research and how to get involved. Not all of the students were OTD students, some PhD or psych. It was basically the only part of our interview day aside from the actual interviews.

Thanks for mentioning the clinical practice tab!! I have also found the videos of students on their website to be a bit reassuring. I feel like other schools at which I interviewed stressed a familial atmosphere more than BU. Although, they did mention that it is not a competitive atmosphere within the cohort, we are their to support each other. It just didn't feel as warm as some other schools.

Did they tour you around the labs on your interview day? At the December interview, they had prof/students in each lab explaining their research and how to get involved. Not all of the students were OTD students, some PhD or psych. It was basically the only part of our interview day aside from the actual interviews.

Thanks for mentioning the clinical practice tab!! I have also found the videos of students on their website to be a bit reassuring. I feel like other schools at which I interviewed stressed a familial atmosphere more than BU. Although, they did mention that it is not a competitive atmosphere within the cohort, we are their to support each other. It just didn't feel as warm as some other schools.
They did the same for us on interview day so I'm thinking the itinerary was pretty much the same. Not all the students who introduced the labs were from the OT department, but I think it's cool that there are a lot of opportunities to work with other health professions.

I'm definitely still torn between my schools though. Where else are you deciding between?

They did the same for us on interview day so I'm thinking the itinerary was pretty much the same. Not all the students who introduced the labs were from the OT department, but I think it's cool that there are a lot of opportunities to work with other health professions.

I'm definitely still torn between my schools though. Where else are you deciding between?

I actually told the other schools I had paid deposits to that I would not be attending. I will definitely be going to BU, just feeling like I maybe don't have all the information. I do think I will learn what I need to succeed, and I think the faculty seem incredibly knowledgable. Hopefully, we will get more information before the first day of class :)

Reactions: 1 users
Tufts / BU / Springfield and Ithaca ! Ithaca offered a nice scholarship and waiting to hear from rest about $$! lol

What are the chances you’re not from New England if you don’t mind me asking? I’m from NE, and i love it but i have to say that vibe you’re feeling is very common for those who go to new england for the first times. We’re a bit off-putting at times unfortunately. BUT that doesn’t mean that’s how we are, just come off that way! I thought that their program did feel warm, that’s why i’m wondering if it’s just because i’m from the area and used to it

Members don't see this ad :)
What are the chances you’re not from New England if you don’t mind me asking? I’m from NE, and i love it but i have to say that vibe you’re feeling is very common for those who go to new england for the first times. We’re a bit off-putting at times unfortunately. BUT that doesn’t mean that’s how we are, just come off that way! I thought that their program did feel warm, that’s why i’m wondering if it’s just because i’m from the area and used to it
I know this wasn't directed at me, but I'm from the west coast and I think going there and visiting made me feel more comfortable about potentially moving there. I like the idea of the smaller program because you could get to know most if not everyone in your cohort by the end of your three years there, but you still have a whole student body in the rest of the university there. I went to the second interview session though, so maybe I didn't get to talk to the same current students as futureOTfingerscrossed

To anyone who interviewed with the early decision group, do you remember around what time they sent you your admission notification? It's been 12 days since the reg decision interviews, so I'm trying to get a ballpark idea of when they might get back to us!

To anyone who interviewed with the early decision group, do you remember around what time they sent you your admission notification? It's been 12 days since the reg decision interviews, so I'm trying to get a ballpark idea of when they might get back to us!
I think it was about 2 weeks! I was actually wondering the same cause I interviewed with the early decision group, but they pushed my application back to be considered with the regular decision group!

I’ve checked my email like 50x already today

I called today and they said by early next week they’d let us know

I called today and they said by early next week they’d let us know
Ahh I was hoping for some point today, so that's a little frustrating but I'm glad I don't have to be glued to my email all day haha

I think it was about 2 weeks! I was actually wondering the same cause I interviewed with the early decision group, but they pushed my application back to be considered with the regular decision group!
I saw a couple of your messages in the USC thread and also the WUSTL one saying you put your deposit down there (I did too), so are you still considering other programs or are you set on Wash U?

I saw a couple of your messages in the USC thread and also the WUSTL one saying you put your deposit down there (I did too), so are you still considering other programs or are you set on Wash U?
I'm still considering other programs! I have a deposit on Wash U and Hofstra right now and I recently got accepted to USC. USC is kinda like a dream to me but money wise I don't know if it's worth it.

Update : got an email today saying i was admitted !!

I was also admitted today! Congrats to everyone who got in

I was admitted, too! Still on the fence though about accepting because of the cost of living and tuition..

Does anyone know if they send out rejections/waitlist emails? I didn't receive any emails so far and just want to see if I still have any chance of getting in.

Does anyone know if they send out rejections/waitlist emails? I didn't receive any emails so far and just want to see if I still have any chance of getting in.

I would say yes since when i called they said we’d know by “early next week” which i feel like means today or tomorrow!

Same boat, hoping not all of the acceptances have been sent out already! Congrats to those who already received theirs!

I just got an email notifying me that I've been placed on the waitlist. Hopefully everyone else hears back soon!

Does anyone remember or know where the students said they currently live in Boston? Trying to compare prices

Have you accepted yet?
Yeah, it seems like the best bet for affordable living is to live in an apartment/house with other people haha.

I remember them saying that they all live very close by in an apartment complex but couldn’t remember where. I haven’t accepted yet, no!

Does anyone remember or know where the students said they currently live in Boston? Trying to compare prices

I go to BU for undergrad right now, I'd say most people live in Allston/Brighton, with some also living in other neighborhoods like Jamaica Plain (further away) or Brookline (pricy)

I interviewed December 7, and we heard back December 19. Obviously I don't know for certain, but I would imagine a similar timeline. Hope you hear soon! I ended up accepting my offer, but I am still slightly unsure about the program. I think that the faculty all seem very knowledgable, but I am a bit fearful that I will be a more prepared researcher than clinician. I loved Boston, and I already told other schools I wouldn't be attending. I still feel a bit uneasy though. I think it has taken a while for information to be distributed to us, although I do recognize that they are probably waiting until they have completed interviews and received acceptances and that lot. Any more thoughts/feels on the program?
Did you end up attending BU? I love their program and the idea of living in Boston, so it is one of my top choices! I also have the concern about research vs. clinical focus, and was wondering if you could offer any more insight now that you have taken a few classes. I value research a lot, but ultimately, what I love so much about medicine is the patient - practitioner relationship. Thanks in advance for any feedback!

Hello everyone! I am a current applicant and just got an interview invite! Will not going to the one in-person and doing the virtual interview put me at a disadvantage do you think? Did anyone have experience with this?

Thank you!

Hello everyone! I am a current applicant and just got an interview invite! Will not going to the one in-person and doing the virtual interview put me at a disadvantage do you think? Did anyone have experience with this?

Thank you!
Congrats on the interview! I am doing the virtual interview because I can't travel at that time because I have my finals. I emailed them and they said they understand not every applicant can make travel arrangements so applicants are NOT penalized for a virtual interview. They just recommended going in person to see the campus. Hope that helps! And good luck!

Congrats on the interview! I am doing the virtual interview because I can't travel at that time because I have my finals. I emailed them and they said they understand not every applicant can make travel arrangements so applicants are NOT penalized for a virtual interview. They just recommended going in person to see the campus. Hope that helps! And good luck!

Thank you, good luck to you as well! That is great to hear, thanks for the info!

Hello all, I didn't submit my application until about a week ago and I just got an email about the secondary application gateway to get a BU ID number. For those of you who got interviews, about how long after this happened did you hear back from them?

Hey everyone! How firm is BU on GRE scores? It says on their website that they recommend getting a minimum score of 153V, 144Q, and 4.0 on AW. I got a 150V, 150Q, and a 5 on AW. Will my verbal score completely take me off the list of having a chance? I'm trying to decide if I should even bother applying since my verbal score is lower than what they want. Thanks!

Hey everyone! How firm is BU on GRE scores? It says on their website that they recommend getting a minimum score of 153V, 144Q, and 4.0 on AW. I got a 150V, 150Q, and a 5 on AW. Will my verbal score completely take me off the list of having a chance? I'm trying to decide if I should even bother applying since my verbal score is lower than what they want. Thanks!
I would say you should still apply! Although I did meet Boston's GRE scores, I have several pending prereqs and still received an interview. For this reason, I think they look at your application very comprehensively.

I would say you should still apply! Although I did meet Boston's GRE scores, I have several pending prereqs and still received an interview. For this reason, I think they look at your application very comprehensively.
Thank you so much! I'll go ahead and give it a shot. Good luck to you!

Has anyone who interviewed December 6th heard back yet? I was thinking we might hear back sometime this week!

Thank you, congrats to you as well! Are you planning on attending?
I'm highly considering it! I'm going to try and visit before the deadline to submit the deposit. What about you? It's very expensive which is holding me back.

I'm highly considering it! I'm going to try and visit before the deadline to submit the deposit. What about you? It's very expensive which is holding me back.

definitely visit! The visit actually made me not want to go there even though I love the city of Boston. I was very disappointed with their lack of facilities for OT but if you were super interested in research then you might like it!

definitely visit! The visit actually made me not want to go there even though I love the city of Boston. I was very disappointed with their lack of facilities for OT but if you were super interested in research then you might like it!
I have heard this to be a downside of Boston. Do you mean that there aren't a lot of clinical labs for OT? I am planning my visit, that way I can feel sure about my decision! Thank you for your insight!

I have heard this to be a downside of Boston. Do you mean that there aren't a lot of clinical labs for OT? I am planning my visit, that way I can feel sure about my decision! Thank you for your insight!
From my tour it seemed like there were only two classrooms and then small rooms with computers which were research areas. There really was nothing else besides an old lounge for the students. It’s probably still a great education but for being so much more expensive, I didn’t see it being worth the money.