BU students... need help with housing!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ZeroCool

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I previously posted this in the BU first year student thread, but I wanted to know what some of the older students thought about my dilemma.

I wanted to pose an important question: how is everyone going about to find a place to live in Boston? I've heard from many people that it is a waste of time(commute time) to live outside of South End (has anyone has heard the same thing), but it is hard to find availibility within south end. Are there any people out there subletting a place for a month or two before signing a year lease? I'm just confused about how to approach this situation... any suggestions would help? I'm leaving for boston this sunday and I still have to no place to stay :scared: Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

ZeroCool said:
I previously posted this in the BU first year student thread, but I wanted to know what some of the older students thought about my dilemma.

I wanted to pose an important question: how is everyone going about to find a place to live in Boston? I've heard from many people that it is a waste of time(commute time) to live outside of South End (has anyone has heard the same thing), but it is hard to find availibility within south end. Are there any people out there subletting a place for a month or two before signing a year lease? I'm just confused about how to approach this situation... any suggestions would help? I'm leaving for boston this sunday and I still have to no place to stay :scared: Thanks!

I was actually in Boston just last week looking for an apartment, and needless to say, it was pretty tough. I was looking online for apartments but it's difficult to tell how you'll like it unless you are actually there to look at the place. That's why I chose to make an impromptu trip up to Boston. I was only there for 5 days but I didn't find a place until the day before I was scheduled to fly back home. I wish I had more time to look around but I was pressed for time and ended up picking out an apartment at the last moment (the rent is a little higher than I wanted).

Are you moving up to Boston this Sunday or are you just headed up there to look for an apartment? Call up a few realtors and ask them to show you around. See if you can find some friends or someone on SDN who would be willing to put you up for a couple of days while you look.

tinman831 said:
I was looking online for apartments but it's difficult to tell how you'll like it unless you are actually there to look at the place. That's why I chose to make an impromptu trip up to Boston.
I agree.

To the OP: Securing a place to live in Boston requires you to be here in person (in your best interest). You can still get a place before you get here, you are just taking a big chance, especially with realtors - who will say anything to get their fees/commission (they always lie through their teeth).

I will be living with 2 other students in our class, and we were very lucky to find an apartment a block away from the school through craigslist. Boston is highly saturated with rental properties, what you may find today will probably not last the next day.

I would say wait until you come here to start looking, or if you know someone (a friend/relative) in Boston who can help you search a place to live in advance, that would help a lot.

Good luck, and see you at orientation. :thumbup:

ZeroCool said:

It is hard to find a great apt in Boston, but not hard to be find a good one. Be careful with realtors becuase they are sleezy trying to tell you how great a place is it and it ends up being a dump. I definetely agree you need to see the place before you commit.

Living in the South End is conveinent for school, but not really for access to a T station. First year you will spend a lot of classroom time and studying in the libe, so if you want to use the shcool facilities for school then south end might be better for you. However, South Boston is like a 20 minute bus ride (much cheaper), and living by main campus (Brookline) may be the same price wise as South End, but a much much nicer and safer area. Plus there is a shuttle that can take you from main campus to the med campus for free (about 20 minutes) but then you have access to a lot more restaurants by school and the nice new gym, Agganis. I never lived in the South End, and live in Brookline in Washington Square (15 minutes west of main campus)which takes me 40 minutes via T and then a Bus, but I do not mind the commute. Good luck!