BU vs Brown

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
BU vs Brown:

Price is roughly the same (loans for both), just got off the WL at Brown and only have a few days to decide, so any advice would be appreciated.

BU:

Pros:

- Social justice mission of the school

- NEIDL for infectious disease research

- Friends in Boston

- merit scholarship

Cons:

- Outdated building

Brown:

Pros:

- slightly better match list (?)

- like the curriculum more

- Scholarly project

- better vibes, admin seems very supportive and student body close knit

Cons:

- Lower "rank"

- less research opportunities

Members don't see this ad.

I was accepted at both and I think I would've chosen Brown. I didn't come across many medical schools with a more supportive and friendly administration. I have friends at both and have heard mainly positive things but Brown has stood out to me for their match list, academic support, and low COL. I do have to say Providence isn't the most exciting city in the world, but I think as a medical student you'd really enjoy the quiet and its proximity to major cities if you wanted to get away for a concert/weekend. I personally also value facilities and Brown's new medical school building is GORGEOUS with amazing anatomy labs. They're both great schools but I think Brown would be my choice. Good luck!! :)

Reactions: 3 users
Disclaimer: Very Bias but Brown PTE and BU WL

Brown has a better match list.
Providence = low COL and still have the walkability of Boston but more compact and you can still go up to Boston via the train
Brown's administration is very attentive and the student's on my interview were down to earth.

Also as for research I don't think you'd have an issue I mean that's what the scholarly concentration is for and funding is there to do research over the summer and many students are able to do it. Every student I talked to had no shortage of research.

Also, I picked Brown over a higher ranked school since the match list at Brown was way better.

Brown matches like a T10 despite its rank. Rankings kind of does it a disservice.

Last edited:
Same as MDNY24– accepted to both and 100% would have chosen Brown! I personally got weird/competitive/unhappy vibes at BU and thought Brown was the nicest, most supportive administration and one of the happiest student bodies. Also rank difference is very minimal and brown matches just as well if not better (which is kind of the only reason rank matters). Congrats and good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
I would go to Brown. They are a kind bunch there and match very well. Sweetest administration during the interview day. The Ivy League name carries more weight than Brown's ranking suggests...