Brown vs Emory vs Mayo (FL)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tmoo374

Reaction score
Hello! I'm very grateful to be in this position, however with Mayo being so insistent on LOIs I am sort of at a loss. I would like to wait until Financial Aid decisions come out, but evidently that is not how Mayo works. I am also in a spot where I would receive a portion of the GI bill, so I am not sure if I will be receiving significant financial aid anyways. I am still sort of undecided on specialty, but am interested in EM and potentially Ortho. Thanks for any/all thoughts!

Brown:
Pros:
1. Good rotations
2. Students seemed relatively low stress and happy
3. Research opportunities seemed decent - only school in state
4. Pass/fail preclinical
Cons:
1. Atlanta arguably nicer than Providence
2. Most of my family is now in the South

Emory
Pros:
1. Opportunities with the CDC next door
2. Good global health initiatives
3. Diverse clinical sites in Atlanta area (Grady!)
4. Students seemed very happy and supportive
Cons:
1. Expecting least amount of fin aid

Mayo (FL - hopefully, will find out in February)
Pros:
1. Really interesting curriculum, selectives program
2. Exposure to world class faculty and facilities
3. From what I hear - very good financial aid
4. Extremely small class, high faculty:student
Cons:
1. Desires LOI
2. Program seems pretty intense - I had less chance to talk to students about their experience
3. Have to move twice, but Jacksonville is pretty nice

Members don't see this ad.

People got into Mayo without a LOI last year. You can also send a letter of interest instead of a letter of intent, by the way, which states Mayo is in your top 3. That’s what I did. You’re likely fine not sending one, but all of these schools will get you where you need to go. Interviewed at Brown last year; it’s a phenomal, well-established program whose match list is like that of a T20. Also, very friendly to non-trads, which I’m assuming you are, so you won’t be out of place at all: my interviewer, for example, was a veteran. I would recommend Brown wholeheartedly.

Last edited: