BU vs Rush vs Colorado vs Case

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

help

• BU

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Rush

Votes: 10 40.0%
  • Colorado

Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Case Western

Votes: 6 24.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

plonialmoni

Reaction score
BU vs Rush vs Case Western vs Colorado

Rush
Pros
  • In Chicago, which is my hometown and by far the place I most want to be.
    • Maybe gives me the best chance to match in Chicago, where I undoubtedly want to be for residency.
    • I have such a strong support system here between my family and best friends. I know I would have such great people around me in addition to the med school community
  • Best vibes during my interview. The students seem happy and collaborative. Overall great vibes.
  • The mission of treating ALL individuals in Chicago is very important to me and they seem to walk the walk.
  • Flipped classroom style works well for me.
Cons
  • Firmly less prestigious than these other schools. Will this hurt me during match? Especially because I don't yet know what specialty I want to match into.

BU
Pros
  • Boston is a great city and would be a wonderful place to be for 4 years.
  • Serving all of Boston is important to them. I love a safety net Hospital.
  • Lots of research ops.
  • Overall vibes feel right to me.
  • Emphasizes relationships and support.

Cons
  • SO many of their matches are in Boston and the Northeast. Maybe the prestige won't give me what I want here?
  • No support systems in Boston.
  • High COL

Case Western
Pros
  • Cleveland Clinic
  • Pretty strong match list.
  • Overall prestige.
  • Research ops.
  • Students seem pretty happy and the environment seems quite chill.

Cons
  • Cleveland as a city is much less exciting than the other places. Not somewhere I'd be psyched to live in.
  • No support system.
  • Lots of mandatory in-person learning and the group learning doesn't seem like it will always be helpful. Those I've talked to love it or hate it.

Colorado
Pros
  • 2nd year being entirely clinical is exciting and enriching. It seems like you learn so much and DO so much. I want hands-on experience as often as I can.
  • Mountains, nature etc.
  • Some family here.

Cons
  • Everything preclinical being in one year seems like a lot. Heard a few students say that it's just too much.
  • Rotations and LIC can be far away.
  • The campus is unremarkable, area was a bit sketchy.

Summary: I think my heart is telling me Rush but prestige and putting myself in a position to match where I want is important as well... Should I choose Rush over these better schools? And if not, which of the other three is the best place... Also are there other factors that I should be considering? (cost is a wash, its all the same). Thanks y'all.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
What does Rush's match list look like? For the people who are staying in Chicago, are they at places you'd be happy to do residencies at? Remember that a lot of people go to Rush that are OOS so don't judge 'prestige' based on the entire list but analyze it carefully for your own goals.

If you have a good chance of securing 'prestigious' residencies in Chicago after, then I think with everything you laid out, it seems like the best option that will ensure your happiness, sanity, and fulfillment throughout med school!! IMO the prestige of these other places does not justify you being unhappy and unfulfilled without a support system or excitement for where you're physically gonna be for 4 years!

As much as I like Rush, the name, opportunities, and prestige of the others should definitely get you back into Chicago for match. Especially for case western, which is regionally in the midwest and therefore can confidently get you back into Chicago.

At the same time, if you'll be happiest in Chicago then Rush has some solid in-house residencies from what I've seen, so you can't go wrong there.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
No scholarships?

Getting back to Chicago is not going to be an issue at any of the schools on your list. I don't know what your debt issues are. There is something about studying in the city where you grew up, but don't discount Boston as a fantastic city to learn medicine with similar socioeconomic challenges.

Reactions: 1 user
I think Rush wins this if you value your support system most.

I would go Case Western if you value the strength of the program most and don't mind living in a not-big city.

I would go BU if you value the strength of the program most. I think Case Western wins the strength battle but not by much, and BU has the edge of being in Boston and all that comes with that.

It's 100% clear from your post that you should go to Rush. It's where you'll be happiest and most succesful at. Rush is also a great school.

This site obsesses over perceived prestige - Case/BU/Colorado are good schools, but nowhere near what would be sufficient to uproot you from your home since that is your priority. You'll match easiest to Chicago from Rush as well.

Reactions: 1 users