BU vs USC Keck

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sconez

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Trying to decide between USC Keck and Boston University! Currently am interested in going into pediatrics, but unsure whether I would want to do primary care or a specialty (neurology!). Please share your thoughts.

Boston University

Pros
- Good variety of patients at BMC
- Very expensive but received a small scholarship that would make it slightly cheaper than Keck
- I absolutely love Boston.
- I've only ever lived in CA and think experience on the East Coast would be a great thing for me
- I like the vibe/mission of the school. Had a good interview day here!

Cons
- Would be a big move for me. I don't have family on the East Coast or really know anyone in the Boston area
- Real seasons! Winter in Boston is a little intimidating.
- Not sure I love that they do rotations all over MA. Would prefer not to have to move to an entirely different place every 6 weeks.

USC Keck

Pros
- I ultimately see myself living in CA and think matching in CA would be easier coming from Keck
- Would have the chance to improve on my Spanish quite a bit (which would also be beneficial to me going into a residency in CA/practicing in CA)
- Great clinical experience at LA County Hospital
- Decent research opportunity
- Closer to friends and family. Great support system.
- Better name recognition (at least on West Coast)
- Great weather
- Interested in pediatrics and CHLA is a top hospital

Cons
- Tuition is crazy expensive, and rent and transportation costs are no joke.
- Area around campus not too great
- I don't like LA all that much
- I want to experience living somewhere other than CA for a bit
- LA traffic will likely drive me crazy (pun intended)
- A little worried there is a pretentious vibe which is so not my speed. I did not love my interview day.

My head is saying Keck but my heart is saying Boston. I feel like this is my last chance to move somewhere else for a while before having to worry about where I realistically want to settle down long term. Should I be concerned that doing medical school in Boston would hinder me from matching in CA? The schools are ranked about the same and I know it's really more about how well I do in either place, but I'm also not ignorant to the fact that connections play a role as well. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

If you want to train and work in CA, it sounds like Keck is the better option. What's the overall price difference?

This is exactly the situation I am in! Or pretty similar at least. I'm from the Bay Area, but I've been living in Boston for the past 4 years. My pros and cons are pretty similar to yours, and I'm also trying to figure out how this could impact residency matching in the long run since I do want to be in CA after med school.

I will say though that it was great for me when I moved to Boston because I got to branch out, but it's also not an overwhelmingly large and populated East Coast city. The winters aren't all that bad too. Just get a good winter coat, make sure your apartment rent includes heat and hot water, and you're all set.

But anyway, good luck on your decision and I'm looking forward to seeing other people's responses!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You summed it up nicely with head and heart. I can understand wanting to live on the East Coast (also a CA kid over here), there's an allure to it. But the transition could actually be difficult, and/or SAD. Nothing beats CA sun. Sounds like Keck is a better decision for you.

not sure if you've already made your decision but just wanted to let you know that bu has a program where you can rotate in the sf bay area between two kaiser hospitals, either for the whole of your 3rd year or just one semester. keck might give you a boost for staying in ca in the long run but if you want to try living somewhere new in a walkable city for a little while with one foot in the door for ca residencies, bu is also a pretty good choice. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.