Budgeting for Residency Interviews and Applications

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

charli1234

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello,

How much should I budget (flights, applications, miscellaneous) if I am planning to apply to residency? I am thinking about applying to 15 programs. Thank-you for answering my question!
 
Hello,

How much should I budget (flights, applications, miscellaneous) if I am specialtyplanning to apply to residency? I am thinking about applying to 15 programs. Thank-you for answering my question!

I would say it largely depends on what specialty and how competitive of an applicant you are. Also how far the programs are from home and whether you will be flying or driving to the majority of them. PASS application runs like 75 per program, in addition to any supplemental fees. For some perspective, I probably spent around 3k strictly traveling by going cheap and driving to 7 interviews and flying to 2. I would estimate I spent about 5k all together applying to 17 programs said and done.
 
Last edited:
I would say it largely depends on what specialty and how competitive of an applicant you are. Also how far the programs are from home and whether you will be flying or driving to the majority of them. PASS application runs like 75 per program, in addition to any supplemental fees. For some perspective, I probably spent around 3k strictly traveling by going cheap and driving to 7 interviews and flying to 2. I would estimate about 5k all together applying to 17 programs said and done.

Great! Thank-you!