Buffalo(OOS) vs DCG(IS)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mancinn

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
School 1: Buffalo
OOS
Pros:
  • nicer area
  • easier to specialize
  • in state tuition after a year
  • class seemed to be very non-competitive/very cooperative
  • different floors are getting upgraded/remodeled
  • campus is very nice
  • better weather(not a big fan of the heat)
  • bills mafia:cool:
Cons:
  • about 100k more in tuition/living expenses
  • very far away from family and friends (GA)
  • people say the winters suck
School 2: Dental College of Georgia
* IS
Pros:
  • less than 2 hours away from my family
  • have friends going to DCG
  • about 100k cheaper (240k)
  • have lots of connections from DCG alumni
  • class comradery seems extremely high, I know lots of students who say they love it
  • cost of living is very cheap
Cons:
  • much worse area/city
  • i believe it would be more difficult to specialize (cant find exact figures online)
  • would prefer colder weather
  • not the best campus
Summary: I think this boils down to knowing a lot about DCG, but not being able to talk to fellow UB dental students to see what they aren't a fan of in regards to their school. If any UB students could enlighten me on what they do/do not like about their school, that would be a tremendous help!

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats!
Seems like a no brainer to me. DCG - cheaper, near family support and warmer. Buffalo is pretty but winters are crazy cold and snow. I’m sure others will weigh in about school specifics.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
You have to remember that in state tuition MAY not be guaranteed because it is up to the state - not the school. Seems like you may be interested in specializing, but connections with alumni (which you have for DCG) also goes a long way. It's bad to admit, but the "worse area" brings in a lot of varying clinical experience. I have heard very few things that are negative about Buffalo, so it's obvious students really love it. However, if the remodeling is taking place during your time there, you might want to consider how that might impact your clinical experience (will there be less patients coming in due to lower amounts of chairs? Will there be more externships?)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
School 1: Buffalo
OOS
Pros:
  • nicer area
  • easier to specialize
  • in state tuition after a year
  • class seemed to be very non-competitive/very cooperative
  • different floors are getting upgraded/remodeled
  • campus is very nice
  • better weather(not a big fan of the heat)
  • bills mafia:cool:
Cons:
  • about 100k more in tuition/living expenses
  • very far away from family and friends (GA)
  • people say the winters suck
School 2: Dental College of Georgia
* IS
Pros:
  • less than 2 hours away from my family
  • have friends going to DCG
  • about 100k cheaper (240k)
  • have lots of connections from DCG alumni
  • class comradery seems extremely high, I know lots of students who say they love it
  • cost of living is very cheap
Cons:
  • much worse area/city
  • i believe it would be more difficult to specialize (cant find exact figures online)
  • would prefer colder weather
  • not the best campus
Summary: I think this boils down to knowing a lot about DCG, but not being able to talk to fellow UB dental students to see what they aren't a fan of in regards to their school. If any UB students could enlighten me on what they do/do not like about their school, that would be a tremendous help!
cheaper

Reactions: 1 users
You have to remember that in state tuition MAY not be guaranteed because it is up to the state - not the school. Seems like you may be interested in specializing, but connections with alumni (which you have for DCG) also goes a long way. It's bad to admit, but the "worse area" brings in a lot of varying clinical experience. I have heard very few things that are negative about Buffalo, so it's obvious students really love it. However, if the remodeling is taking place during your time there, you might want to consider how that might impact your clinical experience (will there be less patients coming in due to lower amounts of chairs? Will there be more externships?)
I think the lack of negative reviews from the few people I talked to at Buffalo draws me in, mainly because I already know so much about DCG. I feel very blessed to have a choice, but I agree that there are too many variables with Buffalo + more expenses that would make it silly to chance it. Thank you for the reply!

Congrats!
Seems like a no brainer to me. DCG - cheaper, near family support and warmer. Buffalo is pretty but winters are crazy cold and snow. I’m sure others will weigh in about school specifics.
the colder weather was honestly a positive to me, never really enjoyed walking outside and immediately feeling like I needed another shower :rofl: Thank you for the reply, I think you and everyone else are correct about where I should go!

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user