Detroit Mercy (IS) vs. Buffalo (OOS)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Detroit Mercy (IS) vs. Buffalo (OOS)

• Detroit Mercy

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Buffalo

Votes: 5 62.5%

• Total voters

SOBS

Reaction score
School 1: Detroit Mercy
Private School
Approximate total cost: $387,642

Pros:
  • Living at home (convenience)
  • Support system of family, friends, connections in Michigan
  • Strong clinical experience
  • Network/connections if I settle down in Michigan
  • Hear very good things from the people who go/went there
Cons:
  • Living at home (with my mom) 😂
  • Large class size (144)
  • Heard about some dramas regarding administration/faculty? (not sure though)
  • Heard their clinicals are not as good as they used to be since the class size doubled several years ago?
  • 20-30 minute commute

School 2: Buffalo
OOS (IS after 1 year)
Approximate total cost: $364,222

Pros:
  • Explore a different state and start working towards my independence
  • Research focused and better school reputation
  • Better choice IF I'd like to specialize in the future since they have a lot of residency programs
  • Good facilities, renovated clinics
  • Great class size (~90)
  • Low cost of living
Cons:
  • No support system/far from home
  • I.. did not like the city/area very much :(
  • Not sure how good their clinical program is
  • No Costco :'(
Summary: After doing some detailed calculations, the costs turned out to be very similar. I can't say which will be cheaper for sure, although the cost of tuition+fees alone is cheaper for Buffalo by 100k. I've basically lived half of my life in Michigan from Elementary school to college, so a part of me wants to go out and build a new life, a part of me wants to stay :( I know it will all come down to what I want for my future, but it's hard to tell what I envision at this point. Also, I don't know if I want to specialize yet, but I'm very open to it. I wouldn't mind practicing in Michigan, but I do want to live somewhere else for a bit and maybe settle down somewhere else, idk T__T

Question: If anyone who recently graduated or still in school for either Detroit Mercy or Buffalo, I'd appreciate it if you could tell me about their clinical aspect.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
School 1: Detroit Mercy
Private School
Approximate total cost: $387,642

Pros:
  • Living at home (convenience)
  • Support system of family, friends, connections in Michigan
  • Strong clinical experience
  • Hear very good things from the people who go/went there
Cons:
  • Living at home (with my mom) 😂
  • Large class size (144)
  • Heard about some dramas regarding administration/faculty? (not sure though)
  • Heard their clinicals are not as good as they used to be since the class size doubled several years ago?
  • 20-30 minute commute

School 2: Buffalo
OOS (IS after 1 year)
Approximate total cost: $364,222

Pros:
  • Explore a different state and start working towards my independence
  • Research focused and better school reputation
  • Better choice IF I'd like to specialize in the future since they have a lot of residency programs
  • Good facilities, renovated clinics
  • Great class size (~90)
  • Low cost of living
Cons:
  • No support system/far from home
  • I.. did not like the city/area very much :(
  • Not sure how good their clinical program is
Summary: After doing some detailed calculations, the costs turned out to be very similar. I can't say which will be cheaper for sure, although the cost of tuition+fees alone is cheaper for Buffalo by 100k. I've basically lived half of my life in Michigan from Elementary school to college, so a part of me wants to go out and build a new life, a part of me wants to stay :( I know it will all come down to what I want for my future, but it's hard to tell what I envision at this point. Also, I don't know if I want to specialize yet, but I'm very open to it. I wouldn't mind practicing in Michigan, but I do want to live somewhere else for a bit and maybe settle down somewhere else, idk T__T

Question: If anyone who recently graduated or still in school for either Detroit Mercy or Buffalo, I'd appreciate it if you could tell me about their clinical aspec
not UDM...

Oh for Peet's Coffee's Sake...

They are opening a CostCo in Amherst very soon. BJ's Warehouse is so much better.

Buffalo is home to Wegman's. WEGMAN'S! It's like a Meijer with way better deli/in-store market food selections. Walmart is a bodega compared to Wegman's. (Other parts of the country treat Wegman's like Ikea!)

Detroit vs. Buffalo... at least both NFL teams are good. You can at least avoid the Ohio Turnpike (and tolls) if you lived in Buffalo by driving the other way around Lake Erie. Lots of Tim Horton's along that route, I'm sure.

Few places are cheaper than Detroit, but Buffalo is probably one of them... and it's in New York!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
not UDM...
Could I ask why? I've seen a lot of bad opinions on UDM on SDN LOL.. and I hear good things from the people who went there (ofc considering bias too) so idk what to believe

Oh for Peet's Coffee's Sake...

They are opening a CostCo in Amherst very soon. BJ's Warehouse is so much better.

Buffalo is home to Wegman's. WEGMAN'S! It's like a Meijer with way better deli/in-store market food selections. Walmart is a bodega compared to Wegman's. (Other parts of the country treat Wegman's like Ikea!)

Detroit vs. Buffalo... at least both NFL teams are good. You can at least avoid the Ohio Turnpike (and tolls) if you lived in Buffalo by driving the other way around Lake Erie. Lots of Tim Horton's along that route, I'm sure.

Few places are cheaper than Detroit, but Buffalo is probably one of them... and it's in New York!
Thank you for your reply! I was joking about Costco LOL I saw Sam's Club pretty close to the campus.

It would've been an easier decision if Buffalo was closer to NYC but it's on the opposite site of the state. I really wish I liked the area but I can't lie, it didn't seem like there was much to do there. I still can't believe when I say this but I never thought I would miss Detroit until I went to Buffalo but idk I'm also biased.

Do you know anything about the schools that would potentially be a tiebreaker?

Thank you for your reply! I was joking about Costco LOL I saw Sam's Club pretty close to the campus.

It would've been an easier decision if Buffalo was closer to NYC but it's on the opposite side of the state. I really wish I liked the area but I can't lie, it didn't seem like there was much to do there. I still can't believe when I say this but I never thought I would miss Detroit until I went to Buffalo but idk I'm also biased.

Do you know anything about the schools that would potentially be a tiebreaker?
Dr Oz Vegetables GIF by GIPHY News

Seriously... Wegmans.

Buffalo is the better school and is cheaper. UDM just isn't as good as Buffalo and buffalo I've heard has a good clinical reputation, so this is a no-brainer here.
Thank you Mr. SpongeBob guy for your reply 😭 do you think it would matter IF I ever decide to come back to Michigan to practice in the future? Would I not have a disadvantage against UDM dentists?

I know. I would love my penny pony ride if I were a kid again.

But trust me about Wegmans. :)
Omg the pony ride 😭 memory unlocked but thank you so much for your advice!!

• Love
Thank you Mr. SpongeBob guy for your reply 😭 do you think it would matter IF I ever decide to come back to Michigan to practice in the future? Would I not have a disadvantage against UDM dentists?
You'd be fine. Where you go to dental school doesn't matter. I'd assume Michigan dentists are familiar with UBuffalo graduates as it's not that far in proximity. Only thing would be connections, UDM would be better if you were to stay in the state. However you can still make connections with at UB.

I'd personally still choose UB over UDM

Exactly, it’s the connection part that I’m getting anxious about since I have no idea if I want to stay in Michigan or fly out of the nest and go somewhere else. No one can tell me that but I’m trying to keep all the possibilities in mind! The only thing is a lot of dentists here didn’t know anything about Buffalo when I asked so I’m not too sure if a lot of people from Michigan go there. A lot prob go to UMich but I haven’t gotten their love yet 😭

Exactly, it’s the connection part that I’m getting anxious about since I have no idea if I want to stay in Michigan or fly out of the nest and go somewhere else. No one can tell me that but I’m trying to keep all the possibilities in mind! The only thing is a lot of dentists here didn’t know anything about Buffalo when I asked so I’m not too sure if a lot of people from Michigan go there. A lot prob go to UMich but I haven’t gotten their love yet 😭
have you read people complaining about UDM on this forum every year?
have you spoken with students there about the school and the safety of the surrounding area?

You got 2 A's. Don't obsess over not getting anything from UMich.

Have you visited the UB campus? Look at their social media?

Buffalo is still closer to New York, Boston, Philadelphia than Detroit is. It's also closer to Toronto, Niagara Falls, Ottawa for your Niagara wine tours.

Last edited:
Did your calculations factor in the in-state tuition for Buffalo and the savings of living at home vs apartment? If it’s less than 100k difference it’s ok to stay with UDM, otherwise Buffalo probably makes more sense. You’ll be ok either way.

Can always work or do GPR someplace new if you feel the need at graduation.