Buffalo SDM Waitlist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ill join in on the fun. I really want to go to Buffalo, but I am on the wait list. I heard it moves well, but I also heard people are getting pulled off of it already. Damn I just want in.

Members don't see this ad.

glad to have another person comment on the thread with 2,000 views, and only three people commenting! lol :)

yeah, and you HAVE to let us know as soon as you hear something! ;) we will too of course

Members don't see this ad :)
hey ... first ever posting on sdn for me even tho ive checked it alot over the years but yeapp im waitlisted as well . definitely my first choice i live pretty close

i'm on the waitlist too... "top third" just checking this thread to see if anyone has heard

nope, nothing yet, do you guys know how it works or when they may start taking people off more frequently? They said they've started taking people off the waitlist but it seems a way slower a process than I expected, like none of the stats are changing on predents and nobody on sdn seems to be posting "I got in!!" ya know...

When i spoke to admissions it seems as if they arent that close to taking people off the list yet, they still have alot of acceptances mailed out that they have to wait and see if they recieve them back, also the letter said late april so I think were just gonna have to stick it out..... I look at it as a positive bc i havent been contacted yet- so i figure when they start taking ppl off I should "get in" -- this is how i sleep at night , sorta

ALL4DENTAL, have you called to figure out which "third" of the list you are on? it also may help ease your mind :)

top 1/3, it definitely is nice to know , except if somehow i dont get in i would feel soooo deflated

well keep thinking positively! does anyone know if buffalo is DONE interviewing? i believe they are

I think that other thread said they were done on Feb 12th, does anyone else know for sure?

The interview #'s haven't been moving on predents.....for the love of god, for anyone who reads this, could you please update your predents profile with what's really going on with you, it would help alot of us out here....thanks!

i believe they are done interviewing, hopefully. i think they are in a lull right now waiting for people to decline/accept them its towards the end of the week so hopefully if we hear anything it will be today or tomorrow! :)

I think we are going to have to wait until May and beyond for most of us to hear from them. The reason being that UB gives a refundable deposit on the acceptance. Therefore many students may accept the offer and ponder about the decision even if they have little intention on going but because they can get their money back, they don't care and might as well accept the offer.

That is why they say late April in the letter. Some of us will hear before then but I think many of us will not until sometime past May. I hope I am wrong but like many of you have mentioned, the numbers of predents have not changed much since Dec 1.

Keep your heads up everyone. Hopefully everyone has another acceptance to hang on to in the meantime to make these next couple of month a little easier.

Members don't see this ad :)
eh i don't think so, alot of people have already told buffalo they aren't coming (predents)

lets start a game of whoever can guess to the closest date we see people alot of people coming off the waitlist! LOL :)

my guess is March 18th, 2010!

hmmmm, this is a tough estimate...what do I win if I'm right!? hahaha

I seriously have no idea, I've heard SOOOO many different theories. I'm starting to believe that letter they sent us out when we got waitlisted....

I'll go for April 1st!

i think you might be right minotaur!:laugh:

Here's what I know. Waitlist is 300-350 people. 150 (50%) get in most years.

So...1/2 get an acceptance at some point. Top 1/3 gets in every year. Middle 1/3 (which I'm in of course just bc I love suspense so much) gets a fair chance, usually at least 1/2 of them get picked (remember I said 1/2 the waitlist gets in so that makes sense). Bottom 1/3 shouldn't plan on getting in, but never keep trying.

If your in the middle 1/3 let me know! And if you get told by barbara that you are in the middle 1/3 and get in, LET US KNOW! Thanks n good luck.

wow! thats great information and in depth, how do you know all of this information?

any extra inforamtion would be helpful :)

also Tianktum is in the middle third i believe if you scroll to the first page in this thread, trust me you aren't alone, idk why more people don't post on this thread seeing as though there have been like 3000 views! lol :rolleyes:

cellbio, i finally post here:p
i got waitlisted at Buffalo and i am in top 3rd. But i just recently got into my top choice so i would be withdrawing from Buffalo.

Gluck to those whose waiting. I am really impressed with Buffalo when interview there. It is just the cold that scared me :oops:

great posts,, ive always wondered what californians thought about the weather because even ppl i meet that come from parts of the northeast cant believe the snow we get, i mean nyc just freaked out bc they got 20 inches or so and that happens yearly here its not a big deal you get used to it , it just takes some adapting and strong will, which i think contributes to UB having such a strong dental school

Last edited:
+1 :thumbup:

I'm in awe at this info......
I'm a pre-dent at UB, and do a lot of stuff involving the dental school. I've done a lot of digging to get the stats. Of course I could be wrong but I know it's at least really close.

The cold sux but housing can be 2 minutes away easily.

I'm waiting on a call from UoP right now if anyone knows anything about them let me know I'm super anxious about it. It's on my mind 24/7. Good Luck guys, only 2 more months before we start getting into our schools (I hope lol).

so your information is just from looking at SDN? thats not very reassuring lol :)

Has anyone called to ask when they are sending out the next round of acceptances?
Or has anyone asked if the class is pretty much full?

It seems like nobody is getting taken off this list or even being accepted as there have not been reports of being accepted in a while and predents has not changed either.

Any updates??

Here's what I know. Waitlist is 300-350 people. 150 (50%) get in most years.

So...1/2 get an acceptance at some point. Top 1/3 gets in every year. Middle 1/3 (which I'm in of course just bc I love suspense so much) gets a fair chance, usually at least 1/2 of them get picked (remember I said 1/2 the waitlist gets in so that makes sense). Bottom 1/3 shouldn't plan on getting in, but never keep trying.

If your in the middle 1/3 let me know! And if you get told by barbara that you are in the middle 1/3 and get in, LET US KNOW! Thanks n good luck.

I think we're wondering how you came to this conclusion. We would all love for you to be right, however I have done several searches in old Buffalo waitlist posts from years past and here are some of the things I've found.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=497490&highlight=buffalo+waitlist

"not to get anyone's hopes down but i was told by dr brown that in years past they didn't go to the waitlist even once, so unfortunately this could be another one of those years, but lets hope not. "

"Yeah, I heard that story from Dr Brown...however, he also mentioned that for last two years, there were some people who got in off the waitlist. I know it is getting more competitive than ever, but I keep praying:) "

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=586581&highlight=buffalo+waitlist

Asking about why the poster called it the infamous waitlist....
Originally Posted by Andrew324
Why is it infamous?

"It's long, with little movement, and if there is movement it is not usually until summer...so i have heard, but I am trying to remain optimistic. "

Please prove these posts wrong! :) My heart is set on going to Buffalo and I'm really trying to stary optomistic about being on this waitlist. Any more reassurance/information would make my day/month/year!!

Has anyone called to ask when they are sending out the next round of acceptances?
Or has anyone asked if the class is pretty much full?

It seems like nobody is getting taken off this list or even being accepted as there have not been reports of being accepted in a while and predents has not changed either.

Any updates??

+1 :thumbup:

I think we're wondering how you came to this conclusion. We would all love for you to be right, however I have done several searches in old Buffalo waitlist posts from years past and here are some of the things I've found.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=497490&highlight=buffalo+waitlist

"not to get anyone's hopes down but i was told by dr brown that in years past they didn't go to the waitlist even once, so unfortunately this could be another one of those years, but lets hope not. "

"Yeah, I heard that story from Dr Brown...however, he also mentioned that for last two years, there were some people who got in off the waitlist. I know it is getting more competitive than ever, but I keep praying:) "

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=586581&highlight=buffalo+waitlist

Asking about why the poster called it the infamous waitlist....
Originally Posted by Andrew324
Why is it infamous?

"It's long, with little movement, and if there is movement it is not usually until summer...so i have heard, but I am trying to remain optimistic. "

Please prove these posts wrong! :) My heart is set on going to Buffalo and I'm really trying to stary optomistic about being on this waitlist. Any more reassurance/information would make my day/month/year!!

I know! I looked up past threads as well and you do not see many students talking about being accepted off the wait list as you do from other schools like Nova. So its hard to believe that many people are expecting another 100 people or so to be accepted off of this list.

I hope people were just lazy to post but its weird how people keep posting such optimistic numbers about the wait list, yet it looks highly unlikely by looking on past threads.

Buffalo is also my top choice so I hope I am wrong. I hate this waiting game!

i agree its a little crazy that 100 people are taken off the waitlist every year, but it is possible with the amount of rejections to UB SDM because of acceptances elsewhere.

i think we will see more movement during this month because any acceptances in February are basically give a deposit/or give up your spot!

way to keep the thread going everyone! :):thumbup:

i wish i know how to say bump in french, how about le bump? :D

Has anyone called lately to see if the class is full yet? I'm starting to get discouraged. I'd call but I've contacted them 4 times since the interview, don't want to overdo it ya know.

im sure the class isn't full yet, you can just EMAIL, you don't have to call. because barbara is very quick about responding to emails! let me know whats up :)

The class is technically "full". They are waiting for people to withdraw their deposits / not give in the deposit.

According to Barbara, "We tend to take more than a few students off the waitlist to fill our class. Some years we only take a few students but we are more likely going to need to take more than a few students off the waitlist." and "it could be anytime within the next month to August."

yes of course they are "full", they send out way more than they need to!

don't want this to get lost, even though we probably won't hear until april! :)

Annnnnny news? :)

dont give up hope! its still early considering i knew somebody that was accepted three days before orientation haha

ugh yeah i hope they start soon like in early april

SO as you may have read , im in the top third of the list....anyways its hard for me to sit back and hope to get accepted... I only took the DAT once and was thinking about possibly improving my scores mostly so I can have something to strive to while im waiting...Anyone think this is a risky idea , Im just wondering if I have more to lose than gain

SO as you may have read , im in the top third of the list....anyways its hard for me to sit back and hope to get accepted... I only took the DAT once and was thinking about possibly improving my scores mostly so I can have something to strive to while im waiting...Anyone think this is a risky idea , Im just wondering if I have more to lose than gain

What are your stats? Do you have a predents profile?

i thought about taking the DAT over again too, but i think its a HUGE risk seeing as though i had a 20AA/20TS/18PA. Idk maybe if you have a really low gpa and a low DAT i would risk it but anything 20+ i wouldn't take it over again...too risky unless you KNOW you are going to do better :)!

Heres the thing , I have an average gpa for dental admission but i got a 17 PAT and 19 overall last time, I really know for sure that I can improve PAT by two or 3 points . I really think practice makes perfect on that section, however on the other sections they do generally cover the same material but I find some of the questions trivial so it is nerve-wracking trying to study what I think there going to ask.. Anyone else feel this way or have any advice it seems like theres alot of 20s out there and I sorta feel intimidated to join sites like predents

if your in the top third, theres a reason, its YOUR decision to try again, a 17 PAT may not be a big deal if you had 20+ in most other sections...its ok to breakdown your scores, its not THAT big of a deal :)

i only got above a 20 on one section and it wasn't a science, all my scores were pretty even so Ive been studying for it for over a month because I really think I can get a high bio score which i think means alot.. well see how I do the second time in a couple weeks here and Ill give a breakdown

if you think your DAT is what is holding you back, and that you can increase in all sections then go ahead and take it, BUT make sure you report your increased scores to UB SDM ASAP, because that will bring you higher up on the waitlist.

i don't think buffalo will care if you scores go down/bring you down on the waitlist, but obviously if you don't have to report them, and they went down, THEN DONT.

overall, you are in a good situation, because you can only go higher on the waitlist at this point. however, if you do go down in your scores and have to reapply next cycle, buffalo will see all the DAT scores you have ever taken, so that might be a problem

good luck on your test, i hope you do well! and as always everyone (both those who stalk this forum and do not post, and those loyal posters), keep us updated on waitlist movement, since we are getting closer and closer to APRIL!
:thumbup::)

I noticed someone on the facebook group got accepted last Thursday. I am not sure if she was waitlisted or not though. Hopefully we are next!