Buffalo SDM Waitlist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
thanks cell bio, very good points... I don't know if any of you have heard but theyve put a calculator on the math section real recently.. I wonder how much this would really help my math score improve because I bet everyone score will increase therfore increasing the "standardization" of scores. I didn't get as many interviews as I would have hoped this year which is the main reason im retaking it as a backup plan for next cycle if I dont get in this cycle

Members don't see this ad.

yeah i heard about it, the QR was such a wreck though ! LOL it is the last section and by that time you are hungry and want to LEAVE, its annoying. i got a 17 on that section which i guess is good? considering scores on that section in total. But i honestly don't know why they keep it around.

study hard!! i remember the last week before my DAT i was like please GOD let me take this right now, i just wanted to get it OVER with, im sure you are feeling that too. :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
Called Barbara a few days ago... I've been moved to the top 3rd of the list....:D Has anyone been accepted yet from the list?

With complete respect, just curious do you know how you got moved up to the top third? Did you send them new test scores or grades or shadowing info? anything like that? Just trying to figure out how the list is moving. I'm in the upper third too, but I wonder if they are moving people around without new info.

its probably because they are taking people off the list, and as people accept decline than Tiankum got moved up.

he/she was probably at the top of the middle third, so know probably at the bottom of the top third.

its probably because they are taking people off the list, and as people accept decline than Tiankum got moved up.

he/she was probably at the top of the middle third, so know probably at the bottom of the top third.

Looks like the list is on the move cellbio!! I'm getting so excited, hoping our phones ring soon!!!!

Hey everyone I have been one of the silent observers of this thread, but I have been very grateful for it so thanks. I thought I would make a quick post about the little knowledge I have about the waitlist. I just emailed Barbara last night and she responded this morning. She said that there has been very little movement on the waitlist over the past month, but said that anything can happen between now and August. Don't know if this helps anyone but figured that the more info we all have the better.

thats good news! that means that not alot of people have been taken off and that they are waiting until april, thanks for the INFO!!! :) and feel free to comment more often with updates!

do you know which third of the list you fall?

any other "silent observers" out there....feel free to chime in! ;)

I hate how they are giving preference to ppl in NY this year.

I bet that is why there is less movement this year because ppl in NY are more likely to take the seat verses an out of state.

yeah i heard about it, the QR was such a wreck though ! LOL it is the last section and by that time you are hungry and want to LEAVE, its annoying. i got a 17 on that section which i guess is good? considering scores on that section in total. But i honestly don't know why they keep it around.

study hard!! i remember the last week before my DAT i was like please GOD let me take this right now, i just wanted to get it OVER with, im sure you are feeling that too. :rolleyes:

QR doesn't matter here in buffalo. The only scores they care about are AA and reading. btw, NY residency can get you 10 points toward your total score. Interview is worth 10 points, 5 from each professor interviewing you. DAT and GPA each weigh 20 points. There is also an ethic category.

I hate how they are giving preference to ppl in NY this year.

I bet that is why there is less movement this year because ppl in NY are more likely to take the seat verses an out of state.

Yea I think there's like only 2-3 ppl from Cali this year (me included) at least basing off of the UB 2014 FB group -- we're at like 43ish members set on UB as an FYI for those wanting some kind of number of ppl set on UB... there's so many cali ppl that would go to UB too.

in response to the "in state", "out of state" thing, i wouldn't expect to be admitted as NY resident to state schools like UCLA, OHSU, Indiana...because they are heavily instate pref schools.

do not be angry that a state funded school (UB SDM) is giving preferences to their residents.

tax money goes to support NY resident seats, and it is these people who will more likely stay in the state to practice and support the NYS population.

and anyone from California complaining about state preference is out of their mind, California has a ALOT of dental schools and even the private ones give preference to California residents....

that being said, AWESOME that more people are contributing to the discussion and information on the forum....KEEP IT COMING!!!! :):):)

Members don't see this ad :)
Yea hold on a second.... If by preference you mean that now there increasing in state enrollment by 10% to say 60% ( made up numbers) I think that the least they can do..A) New york state taxes are highest in country B) If you live in california , FLA ,TEX you name it they take 90+% in state soooo couldn't disagree more

No disrespect to out of staters at all in my last post, I welcome everyone from cali don't get me wrong.. You just have to look at it from a NY point of view where we have less seats available per capita then other states by alot...state residency should play a small factor unlike other states where it plays a major factor... that being said good luck to everyone , were all in the same boat at the end of the day

hahaha yeah this forum is about the waitlist not about in state or out of state, but those comments needed to be challenged i agree ALL4DENTAL.

welcome to the forum bad! at least you are in the same region! lol :)

My comments were never intended to start a debate lol
I agree, UB should give preference to ppl in NY. It only makes sense for a state school to do so.
What I was saying is that we will prob see less movement on the waitlist because of that since accepted students from NY are more likely to take the seat vs an out-of-state student who would prob take their own state if accepted to both.
I hope I am wrong. I guess we will see what happens. Good luck everyone. You can tell the nerves are getting the better of us by reading everyones posts. Waiting sucks!!

Yea i know where your coming from more now,I just wanted to out of staters know where were coming from.. but yea hopefully someone in the next month can give us some good news and eventually we all can get in and start a thread called "I'm finnally off the waitlist." haha

Yea i know where your coming from more now,I just wanted to out of staters know where were coming from.. but yea hopefully someone in the next month can give us some good news and eventually we all can get in and start a thread called "I'm finnally off the waitlist." haha

+1 :thumbup::thumbup: btw totally agree that in-staters should get preference (of course I'm in state), they do in every other state, that's the repeated advice when people ask "what schools should I apply to", the answer always includes "your state schools" which in NY's case is a grand total of 130-ish seats between UB and Stony Brook

also, let's add to the official acceptance thread for UB from the sticky on the main page, I check that one all the time too to see if anyone new gets accepted, and it's got the facebook link on there, which I'm dying to join, lol

anyhow, I genuinely hope we all hear the good news we're hoping for, the wait is killing me too! Glad to see everyone adding to this thread!! :)

thats good news! that means that not alot of people have been taken off and that they are waiting until april, thanks for the INFO!!! :) and feel free to comment more often with updates!

do you know which third of the list you fall?

Yeah I am in the middle third, so... that answer was a little discouraging I was hoping for the top third, but we'll see what happens. I can only wait.:thumbdown:

dont worry you are not alone i have a feeling of some of the 5000+ looks to this forum, that one or two :p lol are in the middle third, or even bottom third and do not want to post anything.

there is still a chance in the middle third so keep up hope! :)

buzzz buzzz bump:xf:

1...2...3...clear! :)

hey everyone, i know that this information has been helpful to some who have PM me and it is in another thread but figured i would also put it in THIS thread, since it has become more popular:

After figuring out I was in the "top third" of the SUNY at Buffalo SDM alternate list, I looked at figures from the 2006 and 2010 ADEA "Official Guide to Dental Schools."

Buffalo interviews 133 (2010), 134 (2006) in-state applicants of which 93 (2010), 86 (2006) are ultimately accepted into the school. (Meaning about 40 are never admitted.)

For out of state applicants they interview 173 (2010), 177 (2006) of which 100 (2010), 86 (2006) are accepted. (Meaning about 70 are never admitted.)

This means to me that if you are in state applicant (which I am) and are on the alternate list in the "top third" you have a pretty good shot of getting in because there are only roughly 40 in state applicants who are either rejected or not taken off the waitlist each cycle (after an interview.)

Also if you add the number of out of state and instate applicants together it is equal to about 300 people. Meaning that assuming the dental school has given out an acceptance to some of these 300 people they interviewed (lol of course they have), then the waitlist is NOT 300 people long. My guess is it is somewhere near 200ish...

Comments are appreciated. Just noticed these trends a long time ago with the ADEA books and figured it would help some people out! :)

hey everyone, i know that this information has been helpful to some who have PM me and it is in another thread but figured i would also put it in THIS thread, since it has become more popular:

After figuring out I was in the "top third" of the SUNY at Buffalo SDM alternate list, I looked at figures from the 2006 and 2010 ADEA "Official Guide to Dental Schools."

Buffalo interviews 133 (2010), 134 (2006) in-state applicants of which 93 (2010), 86 (2006) are ultimately accepted into the school. (Meaning about 40 are never admitted.)

For out of state applicants they interview 173 (2010), 177 (2006) of which 100 (2010), 86 (2006) are accepted. (Meaning about 70 are never admitted.)

This means to me that if you are in state applicant (which I am) and are on the alternate list in the "top third" you have a pretty good shot of getting in because there are only roughly 40 in state applicants who are either rejected or not taken off the waitlist each cycle (after an interview.)

Also if you add the number of out of state and instate applicants together it is equal to about 300 people. Meaning that assuming the dental school has given out an acceptance to some of these 300 people they interviewed (lol of course they have), then the waitlist is NOT 300 people long. My guess is it is somewhere near 200ish...

Comments are appreciated. Just noticed these trends a long time ago with the ADEA books and figured it would help some people out! :)

Did I miss something? What you just said is that there are 93 in-state students accepted and 100 out-of-state. There are only 90 or so students in the class as a whole.

they send out more acceptances to applicants, than applicants who decide to go to school there....

every school practices this, because not every applicant they accept will or can go to their school.

nice observation though! :)

Good call. I was reading it as final class numbers rather than how it was written.

oops. Oh well, I now like our chances just a little bit more!

hmmmm, this is a tough estimate...what do I win if I'm right!? hahaha

I seriously have no idea, I've heard SOOOO many different theories. I'm starting to believe that letter they sent us out when we got waitlisted....

I'll go for April 1st!

i just realized that i didn't get any letter. what letter and what does it say? >< i just found out through aadsas.

thats really strange? maybe UB SDM sent the waitlist letter to your home address if you are at school? try calling home first and then if there def is not letter anywhere...call the school and tell them that...:)

when were you interviewed and waitlisted??

most of the people on here were interviewed pre-dec 1st and got their letters a couple days later, the most important part (lol in my opinion) of the letter says...

"Alternates are reviewed periodically and a significant number are subsequently offered acceptance to the incoming class at a later date. Usually, alternates are not selected before the end of April and can be contacted as late as the first week of orientation in August."

good luck! :D

thats really strange? maybe UB SDM sent the waitlist letter to your home address if you are at school? try calling home first and then if there def is not letter anywhere...call the school and tell them that...:)

when were you interviewed and waitlisted??

most of the people on here were interviewed pre-dec 1st and got their letters a couple days later, the most important part (lol in my opinion) of the letter says...

"Alternates are reviewed periodically and a significant number are subsequently offered acceptance to the incoming class at a later date. Usually, alternates are not selected before the end of April and can be contacted as late as the first week of orientation in August."

good luck! :D

my interview date was dec 3rd. i'm not sure when i was wait listed because i never received anything from them afterwards. they said they were going to make the decision within 10 days but i think it took a couple of months and i eventually just checked aadsas and the status was there.

btw, do you guys know about how many are on the list?

if you look at the data i gave you in a pervious post you can see that UB SDM interviews roughly 300 people (in total, both in state and out of state), every cycle.

now there has been talk that the wait list is 300 people long...which cannot be true if the figures UB SDM publishes in the ADEA guide are factual because that would mean that everyone that interviews is basically on the waitlist.

my guess is that they send out about 100 acceptances at first (for a class of 90), and then pick off the alternate list which would be about 200.

any other thoughts are appreciated, but this is my deductive reasoning after looking over the figures that UB SDM published. :)

keep on posting! love the newcomers and input :thumbup:

also i would call and figure out why a letter was not sent to you about your waitlist, maybe because they emailed it?? idk or maybe because it was post dec 1st.....

i know that most dec 1st people have reported a letter about there status being sent to their homes!

so I take it nobody got any good news this morning? I didn't yet....hoping....

nope nothing yet :)

i received a call from UB regarding my acceptance! decisions, decisions...

how do we end up waiting up to the first day of school? i was thinking, don't we just have to wait for all the schools to finish their interviews and then a couple of weeks after that for the applicants to make their choice? aren't most schools done interviewing already?

i received a call from UB regarding my acceptance! decisions, decisions...

details please, details....

Was it today that you were accepted or earlier? Were you accepted off the waitlist? When was your interview date? Were you told you were in the top third of the waitlist? Was it Barbara that called you? pleassseeee answer.....

details please, details....

Was it today that you were accepted or earlier? Were you accepted off the waitlist? When was your interview date? Were you told you were in the top third of the waitlist? Was it Barbara that called you? pleassseeee answer.....

jeez haha....Barbara called me on Tuesday, I missed her call so I had to call her yesterday and she told me I was accepted. She said they would be mailing out an acceptance packet today. My interview date was December fifth and I was probably waitlisted around mid January. I do not remember being told that I was in the top third of the waitlist, however I am a NY state resident so I'm sure that helped. Any other questions?

jeez haha....Barbara called me on Tuesday, I missed her call so I had to call her yesterday and she told me I was accepted. She said they would be mailing out an acceptance packet today. My interview date was December fifth and I was probably waitlisted around mid January. I do not remember being told that I was in the top third of the waitlist, however I am a NY state resident so I'm sure that helped. Any other questions?

hahaha, awesome, thanks for the quick response, and congratulations btw!!!! It sounds like you have other options too, do you know where you're going yet?

congrats howaboutdat!!!! yey!! waitlist movement!:D:D

i haven't got anything today...but my phone has been off basically all week due to studying for tests...but im sure they havent called cause they would have left a voicemail.

tomorrows another day! :)

did she just call? no aadsas or email updates?? thanks for the info!

did she just call? no aadsas or email updates?? thanks for the info!

Like I was saying, Barbara called on Tuesday and my AADSAS status changed to "Offer Made" by Thursday. No email updates (so I guess you can stop pressing the refresh button lol). I still haven't received the acceptance packet. As far as my decision goes, my choices are either Buffalo or NYU. Pros and cons anyone? Was I the first person you guys know of that was accepted off the wait list? Thanks guys.

Like I was saying, Barbara called on Tuesday and my AADSAS status changed to "Offer Made" by Thursday. No email updates (so I guess you can stop pressing the refresh button lol). I still haven't received the acceptance packet. As far as my decision goes, my choices are either Buffalo or NYU. Pros and cons anyone? Was I the first person you guys know of that was accepted off the wait list? Thanks guys.

Hey just out of curiousity on how long do acceptances last for, how long do you have to accept/decline the offer? 45 days?

lol good one All4Dental, how did you end up doing on the second try at the DAT? scores go up? :thumbup: