bastee_guy

10+ Year Member
Jan 31, 2005
Status
Hey, guys...I was wondering if you could help me out. I got into both of these schools, and I did not get a chance to look around the Buffalo school because I had another interview to goto (so I had to catch my flight). I was wondering if you guys/gals could give me some imput on why Buffalo might be better or worse then BU.

Thanks!!

Johnson22

johnsons22
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 20, 2004
CA
Status
Buffalo is a top notch school! If it wasn't so cold there...it would be a top choice for many.

ncalcate

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 3, 2003
Hartford, CT
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I'm somewhat biased, since I am starting at Buffalo this August, but you really should consider the costs.

Buffalo will cost you about $160K over the four years (tuition, fees, living expenses, etc.). You'll be able to become a New York resident for years 2, 3, and 4 which makes it cheap. Housing is very cheap, you can live 5 minutes from campus, and you'll never have to worry about parking.

I moved from Boston to attend Buffalo, so I know firsthand how expensive BU and Boston are. BU will set you back at least $260K, but I would not be surprised if it hit close to $300K. Housing costs in Boston can only be described as outrageous, and you'll pay through the nose to live in any place larger than a closet.

But Boston does have many amenities and attractions that Buffalo simply cannot offer... but you should ask yourself if that is worth the extra $140K. It wasn't worth it for me.

delicious

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Nov 18, 2004
Status
Go to buffalo you mango-head!!!!

paqdaddy

10+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2004
Status
Go to buffalo , the home of the 2005 super bowl champion buffalo bills! yeh right...good school, bad sports teams w/ bad luck

disgruntled buffalo sports fan

Jamison321

10+ Year Member
Feb 11, 2005
Status
It all depends. Yeah cost should be part of your decision but me personally will probably choose to go to a more expensive school than another because of location and a city which I would rather live in.

JohnDoeDDS

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 26, 2004
Status
guys how is the clinical program at buffalo? Is it as good as say temple?

Also the person who got in, do u mind sharing your stats? Thanks,

gryffindor

15+ Year Member
Feb 2, 2002
Visit site
Status
Dentist
JohnDoeDDS said:
guys how is the clinical program at buffalo? Is it as good as say temple?
Seeing as I've only attended Buffalo, I can't really compare our clinical program to Temple. However, I do know that students at Temple must wax-up and cast their own gold crowns & bridges for their patients, and have to wax-up the metal frameworks for porcelain crowns & bridges. We had to do a good amount of labwork for our clinic cases, however, having to wax up crowns & bridges for your patients is ridiculous. There ain't a dentist out there who does that, except maybe a super prosthodontist. As a predent, this may sound like a negative "But I want to do the waxups, I'll learn more and be a better practitioner." Believe me, when senior year rolls around, you'd rather be staring at a wall than spending the hours required to do a wax-up that really won't be appreciated by your patient anyways.

Housing in Buffalo won't be difficult to come by. Tell your parents to look for something in Amherst if you want to live in the nicest area. Another place to look is Kenmore, you might find something a little cheaper there, but the neighborhoods in Amherst are nicer. If you want nice, then definitely don't let them rent you anything located in the houses on the streets right next to the school (these houses have a Buffalo address, not an Amherst one). If they are going to look in the city of Buffalo, make sure it is in the "North Buffalo" area, this is much better to live in than the streets that immediately surround the school.

If you want to live anywhere decent, make sure you bring a car with you. Actually, if you want to have a life, definitely bring your car or else you will be stuck at the mercy of your classmates. Buffalo is not public-transportation friendly.

ncalcate

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 3, 2003
Hartford, CT
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
JohnDoeDDS said:
Also the person who got in, do u mind sharing your stats? Thanks,
I got into Buffalo with a 3.0 ugrad GPA, 4.0 post-bacc GPA, and 29 TS/27 AA/18 PAT. My DAT score is high because I was an MCAT teacher while I took the DAT.

I can echo a lot of what griffin04 said of the housing in Buffalo. I personally live in an area of Amherst about a 10 min drive from campus. But if you want to live closer, try to stick to Amherst. Any Buffalo address very close to the school is likely not the nicest area. It's not an unsafe area, but a little rundown.

To lephisto - if you check the student orientation page (http://www.sdm.buffalo.edu/orientation/) there will ultimately be a message board where new students post looking for roomates. They had a message board for the Class of 2008, so it's only a matter of time before they put it back up there for 2009. Since you have internet access in South Africa, you should check that out.