Buffalo vs. Case (vs. UDM) ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hsc1986

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Just wondering about the 2 schools that I got into. Case and Buffalo. where would you go if it was you? plus I got interview invite from UDM..not sure if I still have to go.

Being an international student, I really don't know much about their reputations and I thought maybe it would be a good idea to hear from you guys. Here's what I think first:

-Buffalo is cheaper than most dental schools
-didn't quite like the buffalo area
-not sure which program is more renowned.. I'm not sure about case's PBL though. I prefer to be taught by profs. but I liked the school's diversity
-would going for UDM interview be a good idea? How is UDM? is it a good school?
-I don't think I would specialize

Any opinions and input is very much appreciated.
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Go the cheapest school, in this case Buffalo. You will be thanking yourself in the future.

Members don't see this ad :)
How did you like cleveland area? If money is a big part of your decision I think Buffalo would be great, it's a good school.

I may be biased... but I've gone to undergrad in Buffalo for 4 years now and it's definitely love-hate with the area. We all love to hate it, but really it's not as bad as most say. The South campus(the one the Dental school is on) isn't as safe as the north campus but as long as you are smart about things.. like not walking alone outside at 2am with headphones on... you'll be fine. Otherwise, its a nice community and very comfortable to live in. The price for apartments is great.. you can get a nice place for cheap! In the long run... you'll be happy you saved so much money. And if you're into research.... buffalo is a good place for you. However... I don't know much about Case. Just thought I'd give my buffalo insight :)

I may be biased... but I've gone to undergrad in Buffalo for 4 years now and it's definitely love-hate with the area. We all love to hate it, but really it's not as bad as most say. The South campus(the one the Dental school is on) isn't as safe as the north campus but as long as you are smart about things.. like not walking alone outside at 2am with headphones on... you'll be fine. Otherwise, its a nice community and very comfortable to live in. The price for apartments is great.. you can get a nice place for cheap! In the long run... you'll be happy you saved so much money. And if you're into research.... buffalo is a good place for you. However... I don't know much about Case. Just thought I'd give my buffalo insight :)

I might be joining the Buffalo class of 2014 too. I'm picking it over Case and NYU as of right now. The 200k I'll be saving over NYU will go to my practice fund or the Ferrari fund. :love:

i've narrowed it down between buffalo and columbia. buffalo has the advantage right now!

If you prefer a more clinical based education over an education focused more so on didactics, you will be happier at Buffalo.

Very true. I also have been at Buffalo for the last 4 years for undergrad and it's not too too bad. I can deal with another 4 years to save 150K. And I will be declining my acceptance to case btw too.

Last edited:
thanks so much everyone for your insights! I will definitely keep buffalo i guess it would still be better than UDM although I haven't been there.?

-Buffalo is cheaper than most dental schools
-didn't quite like the buffalo area

1. Price is as good a reason as any. All three are pretty good schools, I wouldn't say that one is much better than the others, they all have their strengths.

2. If you didn't like Buffalo, chances are you wouldn't like Detroit or Cleveland that much either. They aren't exactly cultural hubs...

UDM is a really good school. They have a brand new facility and their faculty is amazing. The pass rate for the Part 1 of the boards last year was 100%! :)

UDM is a really good school. They have a brand new facility and their faculty is amazing. The pass rate for the Part 1 of the boards last year was 100%! :)

++,
I am originally from Toronto, so I would pick UDM or Buffalo :), close to some of my friends.