Building a fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

bklyndoc79

New Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello everyone,

I want to propose a hospitalist fellowship to my FM PD. I want to have all my ducks in a row before I do. I just need guidance on what paperwork I need as far as acgme application and whatever else is necessary. Are there any FM fellowship PD’s out there willing to give advice?

thanks!
 
Hello everyone,

I want to propose a hospitalist fellowship to my FM PD. I want to have all my ducks in a row before I do. I just need guidance on what paperwork I need as far as acgme application and whatever else is necessary. Are there any FM fellowship PD’s out there willing to give advice?

thanks!
Hospital Medicine isn't an ACGME recognized FM fellowship so there is nothing to do as far as they are concerned.

 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yeah hospitalist fellowship isn't recognized by the ACGME, so there's no ABMS board for it. Yes I know there's a "certificate" out there from ABFM, but since it's not a recognized ACGME sub-specialty, it's a certificate and not a CAQ/board.

To answer your question, there's no ACGME paperwork. As long as the hospital system says ok, you can just start one lol.

That being said, there are FM programs out there that have hospitalist fellowships, and actually quite popular. It's just an extra year. I came from a strong inpatient residency so I didn't feel the need to do a fellowship. Actually my entire graduating residency class still does inpatient medicine because of our experience. I know there are programs out there where inpatient is pretty weak/not enough. There are even FM programs there you have a closed ICU scenario so, outside of intern year, they really don't get a lot of critical care exposure. A hospitalist fellowship would be great to supplement that for anyone who wants to get a stronger experience with hospital medicine.
 
Please do not normalize Hospitalist fellowships for FM. We should be trained to do Hospitalist medicine out the gate, don't make this more difficult for future generations by making employers think this is necessary. Yet, they'll hire a new grad NP "Hospitalist" right away.

But how else you gonna extract another year of under paid labor from your best residents?

Furthermore, I guarantee hospitals will still reimburse you at FM rates, not IM.