Bunch of questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Adam10401

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Background:

***ZERO background in ANYTHING medical***

Male
Have Bachelor of Business Management (graduated this year) from mediocre state school
3.78 Cumulative GPA
Made Dean's List last three semesters in a row
Military - Army Reserve (intelligence), been in about four years now.

I am VERY used to working long hours, with little to no free time for a year or more in a high stress academic setting (i.e. Army Intel School)

Goal:

1. Attend a college for a year or two to take the pre-med classes I need for medical school. Business school gave me zero science classes so I would have to take all the required pre-med science classes.

2. Transfer to a medical school.

Potential issues:

Money: I am planning to finance the entire thing through federal student loans. I currently have about $25,000 in student loan debt from my under grad. I assume any idiot no matter how rich or poor can borrow as much as they need from uncle sam now assuming they actually get into a medical school?

Academic Rigor: I passed Army Intelligence School, however none of my undergrad classes were in math or science. Can I learn what I need to know in a year or two at a local college?

Failure: What are the chances of not finding a job when I get out? If you pass medical school is it guaranteed to find a job?

Salary: What kind of salary will I get as a resident? What is a conservative estimate of a doctors pay once they finish their residency?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Potential issues:

Money: I am planning to finance the entire thing through federal student loans. I currently have about $25,000 in student loan debt from my under grad. I assume any idiot no matter how rich or poor can borrow as much as they need from uncle sam now assuming they actually get into a medical school?

-Yes. You can borrow the whole nut. Tuition, expenses, etc. If you want to be career military, there is the HPSP program. See the military forum on here. You can probably easily borrow for your premed classes, but I don't know about that. Others will comment.

Academic rigor: I am pretty smart, I passed Army Intelligence School, however none of my undergrad classes were in math or science. Can I learn what I need to know in a year or two at a community college?

-Doing all of your premed math and science classes at a CC is probably not possible and will raise questions about your ability to handle the science classes in med school. I would take the classes at the local university. They may have a post bac program there for premeds. There are many around for people changing careers. It would be full time +/- some research. You'll need at least 2 years because of class progression if you have not taken the basics, and after >5 years you probably want to retake them anyway before the advanced classes.

Time: Am I too old to realistically become a doctor? Will I be too far behind income wise compared to my peers in other professions due to the debt I will have?

-No. You're fine, even entering 3 or 4 years from now. Lots of physicians have tried other careers first. I was a lifeguard for a while.

Failure: What are the chances of not finding a job when I get out? If you pass medical school is it guaranteed to find a job?

-Zero as long as you pass your board and licensing exams and complete a residency.

Acceptance: How hard is it to get into medical school? Would I cut it getting in?

-With your background, if you are willing to work and can handle the science pre rec classes you will probably be fine.

Time and Quality: I read that some medical schools now offer shorter programs. I assume these places are like the "University of Phoenix" of medical schools. Will I screw myself over by going to one?

-They're all 4 years in the US.

Salary: What kind of salary will I get as a resident? What is a conservative estimate of a doctors pay once they finish their residency?

- Resident will be around $50k/yr.
- Physicians average around 225 and range from around $150-1m+/yr depending on experience, specialty and practice set up. Specialty pay will likely slide over time but you'll never be poor or have to worry much about money. Unless you have a gambling problem or like hookers and blow a bit too much. Or get divorced a couple times.

Thanks!

Goal:
1. Attend a community college for a year or two to take the pre-med classes I need for medical school. Business school gave me zero science classes so I would have to take all the required pre-med science classes.

3. Money: I am planning to finance the entire thing through federal student loans. I currently have about $25,000 in student loan debt from my under grad. I assume any idiot no matter how rich or poor can borrow as much as they need from uncle sam now assuming they actually get into a medical school?

4. Academic rigor: I am pretty smart, I passed Army Intelligence School, however none of my undergrad classes were in math or science. Can I learn what I need to know in a year or two at a community college?

5. Time: Am I too old to realistically become a doctor? Will I be too far behind incomewise compared to my peers in other professions due to the debt I will have?

6. Failure: What are the chances of not finding a job when I get out? If you pass medical school is it guaranteed to find a job?

7. Acceptance: How hard is it to get into medical school? Would I cut it getting in?

8. Time and Quality: I read that some medical schools now offer shorter programs. I assume these places are like the "University of Phoenix" of medical schools. Will I screw myself over by going to one?

9. Salary: What kind of salary will I get as a resident? What is a conservative estimate of a doctors pay once they finish their residency?

Tell me if there are any holes in my plan, I've only just started researching this career path seriously as of the last few days.

Background:***ZERO background in ANYTHING medical***
Male
Have Bachelor of Business Management (graduated this year) from mediocre state school
3.78 Cumulative GPA
I live in Michigan (very close to University of Michigan and I have a family member who is a nurse there. I would love to go here if possible)

I am VERY used to working long hours, with little to no free time for a year or more in a high stress academic setting (i.e. Army Intel School)
1) A four-year school is more likely to have the necessary rigor in the required coursework. That's not to say that attending a CC couldn't do the job. Some MD schools actively discourage the CC pathway. But it's my understanding that none of the DO med schools do.

3) As long as you have a good credit rating.

4) Definitely not in one-year.

5) Average age of matriculation is 24. One of my colleagues got an acceptance in his 50s. So you are fine.

6) Medicine has and will continue to have high job security.

7) About 40% of those applying to MD schools get an acceptance each year. I don't know the DO stats. Your current high GPA and exmilitary status put you in good stead, as a starting point. Besides GPA, admission depends on MCAT score, ECs, LORs, good interview skills, and legal record.

8) I've heard of 1-2 legit (properly accredited) 3 year programs in the US. They may become more common by the time you need one. If you want a shady program, feel free to go to the Caribbean where some don't require an MCAT and just care about if you have a heartbeat and good credit rating. Of course, chances of licensure and eventually practicing in the US are very low.

9) Depends on location, but currently $39-$55,ooo (off the top of my head) for residents I know across the country. It goes up a few thousand each year of residency.

Once you complete residency, $150,000 minimum would be a likely average for starting in a primarycare field in today's dollars/environment (but also depends on geographic location, specialty, whether you enter solo practice or join a group, etc). You can google "physician salaries" for more precise info. It isn't yet know how the Affordable Care Act will affect this.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)

-Yes. You can borrow the whole nut. Tuition, expenses, etc. If you want to be career military, there is the HPSP program. See the military forum on here. You can probably easily borrow for your premed classes, but I don't know about that. Others will comment.

Academic rigor: I am pretty smart, I passed Army Intelligence School, however none of my undergrad classes were in math or science. Can I learn what I need to know in a year or two at a community college?

-Doing all of your premed math and science classes at a CC is probably not possible and will raise questions about your ability to handle the science classes in med school. I would take the classes at the local university. They may have a post bac program there for premeds. There are many around for people changing careers. It would be full time +/- some research. You'll need at least 2 years because of class progression if you have not taken the basics, and after >5 years you probably want to retake them anyway before the advanced classes.

Time: Am I too old to realistically become a doctor? Will I be too far behind income wise compared to my peers in other professions due to the debt I will have?

-No. You're fine, even entering 3 or 4 years from now. Lots of physicians have tried other careers first. I was a lifeguard for a while.

-Zero as long as you pass your board and licensing exams and complete a residency.

Acceptance: How hard is it to get into medical school? Would I cut it getting in?

-With your background, if you are willing to work and can handle the science pre rec classes you will probably be fine.

Time and Quality: I read that some medical schools now offer shorter programs. I assume these places are like the "University of Phoenix" of medical schools. Will I screw myself over by going to one?

-They're all 4 years in the US.

- Resident will be around $50k/yr.
- Physicians average around 225 and range from around $150-1m+/yr depending on experience, specialty and practice set up. Specialty pay will likely slide over time but you'll never be poor or have to worry much about money. Unless you have a gambling problem or like hookers and blow a bit too much. Or get divorced a couple times.

Thanks!

Honestly I am so used to Army/Roommate style life I was thinking of just continuing to rent a room and investing the disposable income (once I became an MD). I am not interested in starting a family and have no interest in a house if I am never home to live in it. I do enjoy having a nice car though.

I will check out a local university, in the meantime I need to see what textbooks I need to read to make sure I am at least on a college beginner level for math/science/biology.

It says I need a year of organic, inorganic, biology and physics. Can all those be taken at the same time (provided I am ready for a college level course in them) and knocked out in a year? I can go to a 4 year university for them, I get free tuition still from the Army.

It says I need a year of organic, inorganic, biology and physics. Can all those be taken at the same time (provided I am ready for a college level course in them) and knocked out in a year?
The required labs would kill you.

And Organic Chem usually requires a year of General Chem first.

Also, be aware the new MCAT coming out in 2015 will be testing over additional subjects. And various med schools have additional requirements, like upper-level Bio, etc.

Also, be aware the new MCAT coming out in 2015 will be testing over additional subjects. And various med schools have additional requirements, like upper-level Bio, etc.

If spaced out over two years could I handle working a 9-5 while taking those premed classes?

Using summer classes you might be able to complete the classes in 12 months, but it probably won't work out. Classes you need probably wont be offered when you need them. You never know. You'll likely need 2 years or a specialty post Bac program. You'll need time to take the MCAT and apply as well. This will be a process that will probably take 3 years until admission.

Many thanks for your service to our country.

This is perfectly fine, but keep in mind that not all MD accept some CC credits. Best to invest in MSAR, and also eventually contact Admissions Deans to see if your CC work is OK.

1. Attend a community college for a year or two to take the pre-med classes I need for medical school. Business school gave me zero science classes so I would have to take all the required pre-med science classes.

That's my understanding. No GI Bill for your service, though???

You won't know until you try. Much of the stuff you'll be learning is conceptual.

Absolutely not! And some of my all time best students have been in their 30s and 40s. After you finish your residency, you'll be making six figures.

Time: Am I too old to realistically become a doctor? Will I be too far behind incomewise compared to my peers in other professions due to the debt I will have?

Just do well in your rotations and on board exams and you'll be fine. If this was a law school forum, I'd advise another field, but MD/DO school grads do not need to worry about finding a job!

It is difficult. My own school gets something like 5000+ applications. We have between >100 seats, and we interview maybe 500 people. the avg acceptance rate for any medical school is ~5%. Keep in mind that about half of those apps are from people who have no business applying in the first place, but still, it's very competetive.

the avg GPA for MD acceptances is ~3.6 and MCAT score is 32
For DO programs, GPA ranges from 3.3-3.6 and MCAT is ~25. there's more variance because DO programs favor one thing vs the other (GPA vs MCAT).

No such animal as far as I'm aware. There are no "U of Pheonix" type progrma, unless you count the Carib diploma mills. Then you'd be looking at a hard time finding a job here.

Google is your friend:
"According to the BLS, the hourly mean wage earned by a resident physician is around $100.74 per hour which averages to an annual mean salary of around $51,340 per annum. PGY 1 salary is $48,000, PGY 2 salary is $50,000, PGY 3 salary is $53,000 and PGY 4 salary is $55,000."

Tell me if there are any holes in my plan, I've only just started researching this career path seriously as of the last few days.

Background:

***ZERO background in ANYTHING medical***

Male
3.78 Cumulative GPA
I live in Michigan (very close to University of Michigan and I have a family member who is a nurse there. I would love to go here if possible)

Goal:

Potential issues:

Time: Am I too old to realistically become a doctor? Will I be too far behind incomewise compared to my peers in other professions due to the debt I will have?

Thanks!

Who cares how old you are? Do you want to be a doctor or don't you? Do you want to study this stuff or don't you? That's all.. If you graduate at 65 who cares? you work a year and croak. So you have given a year of helping others and you have had knowledge enter your head and not sat around doing crack/cocaine. If you want to do it just do it. Stop going to stupid Forum boards and asking them. Just do the darned thing. No one's stopping you but yourself. Ifyou don't get in then you don't. If you do you do. Bottom line - you wanna do it or not? If no, go do soemthing else. If yes, do this. It really don't matter... and stop posting on dumb forums. Tha'ts a waste of time as is your indecision.

People get confused and don't do the proper background traiing, then they apply and take exams too early. They need to do the background work, even if it takes them longer, and then they can go apply to schools. Be prepared and wait, not rush and be stupid. Rushing is not God like. Do'nt rush. Do it right.