Bunch of really basic pre-dent questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrMagic

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am really not familiar with pre-dent, as I am mainly thinking pre-med, but would like to know a bit about the field, as my neighbor who earned both degrees separately, and is an OMS has inspired me to check it out.

1) Are GPAs calculated through retaking classes? I noticed on the UMKC website that they allow course retakes.

2) Are the minimum GPAs typically posted on websites strict cutoffs?

3) Why is NYU considered EASY to get into? IMO the school is prestigious and I heard the facilities are nice. Can COST really be the only reason?

4) Do any dental schools take MCAT exams like some podiatry schools will take DAT or GRE?

5) Does anyone have a list of schools that require more courses than the typical pre-med pre-reqs? Like I noticed some schools require zoology and all these EXTRA courses for pre-dent.

6) Any chance for being admitted with these stats below and what schools would be a few good ones to apply to given my profile? Can I apply to well known schools like NYU, Yale or Case even though my GPA is low?

Bachelors: BS engineering (honors)

SCI GPA: 2.6

SCI GPA (including engineering): greater than 3.0

CUM GPA: little over 3.0

Graduate: MS bioengineering

CUM GPA: 4.0

Post-Bacc: No degree / Informal

SCI GPA: 3.7 (about 20 credits)

DAT: Yet to take

Certificate: Top Medical School

Research: 3 years orthopaedic, 1 year craniomaxillofacial surgery device design

Publication: 3 publications, all first author in orthopaedics, with 1 manuscript in the works in CMF device

Shadowing: Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon, and other medical doctors

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I am really not familiar with pre-dent, as I am mainly thinking pre-med, but would like to know a bit about the field, as my neighbor who earned both degrees separately, and is an OMS has inspired me to check it out.

1) Are GPAs calculated through retaking classes? I noticed on the UMKC website that they allow course retakes.

Not sure what you mean "calculated through retaking classes." But, retaken classes are incorporated into your GPA, if that's what you're asking. They don't replace your old grade, but they are incorporated.

2) Are the minimum GPAs typically posted on websites strict cutoffs?

They pretty much are strict cutoffs for 99.9% of the applicant pool. If it says "recommended minimum 3.0 sGPA...that's pretty much a cutoff. You'll get the random exception applicant, who is usually an underrepresented minority.

3) Why is NYU considered EASY to get into? IMO the school is prestigious and I heard the facilities are nice. Can COST really be the only reason?

It's not easy to get into. The reason why people think it's easy to get into is because they have so many seats and it's extremely expensive; so, by default, they end up taking people with low(er) GPAs. But don't let that fool you -- if they're lacking in their GPA, they probably have a very high DAT. Also, it's still difficult to get in relative to other schools because you're competing against 5000+ applicants. Great applicants often slip through the cracks at NYU.

4) Do any dental schools take MCAT exams like some podiatry schools will take DAT or GRE?

Yes - pretty much every private school loves to see an MCAT score in addition to a DAT score. But the DAT score is not necessary if you have an MCAT score.

5) Does anyone have a list of schools that require more courses than the typical pre-med pre-reqs? Like I noticed some schools require zoology and all these EXTRA courses for pre-dent.

Many schools like Yale, Case, NYU, Harvard, UCLA, UCSF, Boston, Tufts, Columbia, Penn are instituting a pottery or sculpture class pre-requisite.

6) Any chance for being admitted with these stats below and what schools would be a few good ones to apply to given my profile? Can I apply to well known schools like NYU, Yale or Case even though my GPA is low?

Yale might be out of your reach, but you might want to try Johns Hopkins and MIT, since their programs are new and less well known.
Bachelors: BS engineering (honors)

SCI GPA: 2.6

SCI GPA (including engineering): greater than 3.0

CUM GPA: little over 3.0

Graduate: MS bioengineering

CUM GPA: 4.0

Post-Bacc: No degree / Informal

SCI GPA: 3.7 (about 20 credits)

DAT: Yet to take

Certificate: Top Medical School

Research: 3 years orthopaedic, 1 year craniomaxillofacial surgery device design

Publication: 3 publications, all first author in orthopaedics, with 1 manuscript in the works in CMF device

Shadowing: Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon, and other medical doctors
Hope this helps a fellow pre-medical dropout hoping to steal a pre-dent spot.

Last edited:
Hope this helps a fellow pre-medical dropout hoping to steal a pre-dent spot.

I have talked to at least 1 school that takes recalculated GPA grades, I know that sounds weird, but I think instaters make up the vast majority if not all of the school.

Thanks for all the information, I think I'll stick with pre-med but dentistry is really an interesting profession. I was suprised when 2 people I know who already had MDs had obtained dental degrees AFTER medical school.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have talked to at least 1 school that takes recalculated GPA grades, I know that sounds weird, but I think instaters make up the vast majority if not all of the school.

Thanks for all the information, I think I'll stick with pre-med but dentistry is really an interesting profession. I was suprised when 2 people I know who already had MDs had obtained dental degrees AFTER medical school.

Yes, follow amallagriz advice to a T and you are sure to get in:thumbup:.

Before you do though, please call Yale and see what they think of aforementioned advice.

What is a brain i dont even use it