bupivacaine off label use???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yu-gi-oh

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone know why 0.5% bupivacaine preservative free has label that states not for spinal use???

I know I have used it many times as off label use. Did web search but no clear answer???

Any issue with lawsuit from off label use?? Off label use not equal to unsafe use???

Members don't see this ad.

I have been told the drug company did not do studies on it, hence they cannot claim it as an indication.

Anyone know why 0.5% bupivacaine preservative free has label that states not for spinal use???

I know I have used it many times as off label use. Did web search but no clear answer???

Any issue with lawsuit from off label use?? Off label use not equal to unsafe use???

are you serious?

one of my ex partners lost a 3 million dollar lawsuit because he used that stuff in a total knee case....and the guy developed cauda equina syndrome....

I wouldn't admit using it....even on an anonymous forum.

Members don't see this ad :)

1) Because 30 mL would be way too much for spinal dosing.

2) It's also packaged in a way that makes it look like it might be multidose vial, even if it's PF.

Just the manufacturer playing CYA on the label. It's perfectly OK to use it intrathecally.

ETA: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=590485

thank you for the previous discussion thread!!!

I have been told the drug company did not do studies on it, hence they cannot claim it as an indication.

I have heard the same.
I have no medical issues using it.
However, I do not use it because of medicolegal issues such as military posted.
I use tetracaine instead when I want an isobaric technique.

That seems unlikely. We have 4ml glass vials of 0.5% plain bupivacaine here - specifically marketed and indicated for IT use. If there weren't any studies done on plain bupivacaine IT safety then I doubt it would have been approved here.