Bureau of Prisons Predoctoral Internship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Psych 111

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody. Is anyone out there at a BOP site on predoc internship or know of individuals who are? What kind of information can you offer to increase a prospective applicant's competitiveness?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everybody. Is anyone out there at a BOP site on predoc internship or know of individuals who are? What kind of information can you offer to increase a prospective applicant's competitiveness?

I think people tend to over generalize the forensic componet of these sites. There is usually only one or two forensic rotations offered at most sites actually. The rest is that you just happen to practicing with prisoners in a correctional enviorment. My interviews had plenty of people (50%) with no forensic experiece and limited forensic interest.

Make adequate progress in your program where you're generally ready to apply for any internship first. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
So...are you both saying that the BOP sites are basically generalist placements that don't require a specific combination of practicum training?

Reactions: 1 user
I am going on internship at a BOP and I'm not even sure how to answer your question (ha ha). I have an MA in Forensic Psychology, had 5 practicums in forensics/correctional facilities (including my MA experience), plus two years working in a correctional facility. At the end of the day, I don't think this gave me the "edge" I thought it would. For what it's worth, I have a friend who's currently completing an internship at a BOP, and two friends going to a BOP with a similar background as me. However, as erg923 mentioned, there are just as many people who get interviews at BOPs with little to no experience in corrections/forensics. I would say make sure your report writing skills are strong. Even if you're going to a site that does not have a forensic evaluation component, excellent writing skills are important to all BOP sites.

Reactions: 1 user
So...are you both saying that the BOP sites are basically generalist placements that don't require a specific combination of practicum training?

Well, by its very nature is correctional psychology, but that not the same as "forensic psychology." There are more than adaquate opps for general training, as well as training in substance abuse (lots), b-med, and forensic assesment. Unless you are applying to the ones with devoted devoted forensic tracks, forensic experience is NOT required. I HAD ZERO and interviewed at 2 BOP sites 2 years ago.

Agreed with the above posters. The advice I've been given is on par with this; verify you have a breadth of training, make sure you have assessment experience (some require more hours than other sites, good report writing skills, etc.). Some sites were referred to as being run akin to community mental health centers with forensic rotations. Take that as you wish.

Otherwise, if you are still in your first year, then (again) I would recommend anyone to concern themselves more with their overall clinical training initially. ;)

Having credible experience and demonstrating your interest in crisis assessment, trauma tx, SMI and Axis II tx experience will also be valued. Language skills beyond English are also needed and conveying your understanding of what mandated treatment condition are like won't hurt. I agree that basic CMHC experience can get you there.

I'm on internship at an APA accredited BOP site...And I know for a fact that every applicant we interviewed had some sort of correctional/forensic experience. I would say that, depending on the institution and the rotations that are offered, you would want to have experience in some way that matches what they offer. For example, forensic report writing experience if they offer a forensic rotation, or inpatient experience maybe in a psychiatric hospital is they have a mental health rotation. Drug treatment is also big in the Bureau now too so try to get that experience as well! I think it really varies because there are quite a few BOP internship programs and many offer very different things. I know interns at other sites who do tons and tons of individual therapy and we do hardly any.
I would add that assessment experience is a huge plus as well as crisis work.
Good luck!

Thanks for all the great feedback everyone.

One more question. How much do internship sites (again, I have my eye on the BOP but this can be answered generally) value non-practicum work experience?

One more question. How much do internship sites (again, I have my eye on the BOP but this can be answered generally) value non-practicum work experience?

I had two years of experience with therapy/crisis management between my M.A.and my doctorate, and I can honestly say I don't think it played a huge role in the internship process. There was one site who stated that an MA/outside work experiences were appreciated, but I think sites tend to look at your doctoral level training more. This is just my experience, however.

I would like to offer one piece of advice. You seem pretty set on a BOP and that is a great goal to have. However, I would caution you to not apply to only BOP sites. They are highly competitive, and there's a good chance you will get more rejections from them than interviews. I tried to equally spread out my applications between BOPs, state DOCs, and hospitals with a forensic emphasis.

Last edited:

I had two years of experience with therapy/crisis management between my M.A.and my doctorate, and I can honestly say I don't think it played a huge role inthe internship process. There was one site who stated that an MA/outside workexperiences were appreciated, but I think sites tend to look at your doctorallevel training more. This is just my experience, however.

I would like to offer one piece of advice. You seem pretty set on a BOP andthat is a great goal to have. However, I would caution you to not apply to onlyBOP sites. They are highly competitive, and there's a good chance you will getmore rejections from them than interviews. I tried to equally spread out my applications between BOPs, state DOCs, and hospitals with a forensic emphasis.

This may vary by the site and the work experience. I know of multiple students who received additional work experience (non-practicum) in hospital settings that placed them in on-call situations basically conducting risk assessments, in other settings where they administered assessments for a large testing/educational company that shall remain nameless. They all mentioned that this experience was brought up (by the sites) during most of their interviews, and they received positive feedback re: it.

Otherwise, I second CSOPP's second bit of advice. Just as, I don't know too many people who *only* apply to VAs if they're interested in working in a VA. While I also am interested in BOPs, I have no intention of applying to these sites alone. To do so would be pretty foolish. Focus on your overall clinical training to get the breadth of training you need; then your specifics to make sure you're competitive for BOPs (AND other sites).