Burn center referral/transfer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kat82

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know we've all memorized the criteria to "transfer to a burn center"

http://ameriburn.org/BurnCenterReferralCriteria.pdf?PHPSESSID=bc2e1457e9fa4c264ab30b710dabb87e

But this still trips me up. I repeatedly see patients with partial thickness burns on the hands, feet (even saw one on the perineum) get discharged with either plastics or primary care follow up. This makes sense to me but how do we differentiate who gets "transferred" and who can go on an outpatient basis (and who should go to a real "burn center" versus any plastic surgeon). Obviously extensive burns, or patients with other trauma, airway involvement, etc, can't go home. But what about those cases which are typically seen in fast track? It seems to contradict the "transfer criteria"

Members don't see this ad.

People you can't secure followup on.

I offer it to everybody that meets criteria, but just like LPs, you can word it differently.
"So, I can send you home and follow up here in a couple days, or I can transfer you all the way to the burn center (100s of miles) so you can be seen tonight. Then all your followup is there too. Your choice" vs
"You really need to go to the burn center"
Then I document the discussion and do whatever the patient wants.