Burned out...how long time out?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ebete

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here's the deal: I have been getting ready for the June13th. test for about 7 months now (doing 2-3 hrs for about 5 days/wk...I have kids)and besides the fact that I don't feel ready to go for it(not hitting 30's yet AAMC 3R 6 6 9) all of the seats are unavailable in my area. My problem is that I will be going to go overseas in July and only coming back last wk of Aug. This leaves me with 2 months before the next available test for me (sometime in Sept.) What would you all recommend I do during those 2 months; actually from june 13th on? I already feel like I'm burned out as it is, although still on the June 13 skedule and plan to keep it just to see how I would do Ihad I gone for it. I don't know what to do and how much time I can take off without wipping everything out of my head! Plus it sure would e nice to spend quality & quantity time with my kids!!!
Any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

Here's the deal: I have been getting ready for the June13th. test for about 7 months now (doing 2-3 hrs for about 5 days/wk...I have kids)and besides the fact that I don't feel ready to go for it(not hitting 30's yet AAMC 3R 6 6 9) all of the seats are unavailable in my area. My problem is that I will be going to go overseas in July and only coming back last wk of Aug. This leaves me with 2 months before the next available test for me (sometime in Sept.) What would you all recommend I do during those 2 months; actually from june 13th on? I already feel like I'm burned out as it is, although still on the June 13 skedule and plan to keep it just to see how I would do Ihad I gone for it. I don't know what to do and how much time I can take off without wipping everything out of my head! Plus it sure would e nice to spend quality & quantity time with my kids!!!
Any suggestions?

Sorry, I don't have any recommendations for how much time to take off, but if you decide to push forward with June 13th I would recommend continually checked the website for available seats. When I first went to sign up, all of the seats were taken. When I checked just a few hours later, there was a seat available. It was at the 8am start time, which wasn't ideal, but I took it anyway since it was my only option. However, I vowed to continue to check every day just in case a seat opened up for the 2pm start time. Sure enough, the second day I checked another seat opened- this one for the 2pm slot.

Hope that helps! Good luck! :luck:

I hate to be the *** here but if after 7 months of studying you are getting a 21, medicine may not be your calling.

I hate to be the *** here but if after 7 months of studying you are getting a 21, medicine may not be your calling.

Would't it be great for people to know a little more about the situation before making ASSumptions!

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry, I don't have any recommendations for how much time to take off, but if you decide to push forward with June 13th I would recommend continually checked the website for available seats. When I first went to sign up, all of the seats were taken. When I checked just a few hours later, there was a seat available. It was at the 8am start time, which wasn't ideal, but I took it anyway since it was my only option. However, I vowed to continue to check every day just in case a seat opened up for the 2pm start time. Sure enough, the second day I checked another seat opened- this one for the 2pm slot.

Hope that helps! Good luck! :luck:

Thanks... I will be checking for my seat daily! Hopefully I won't have to take in Sept!

The 30th of May is the last day to cancel your seat for the June 13th test. I'm guessing that on this day, a lot of seats will open up because people who don't feel ready will cancel and reschedule. Keep checking every day until then, but you might not get lucky until then. Best of luck!

he has a point though. If you've really studied as long as you say for as many hours as you say and you're at a low 20's then you're just doing something wrong. Not saying it as a knock to you, but just that at this point you should realize that whatever you're doing isn't working, and a drastic change in study strategy may be needed.

When you take the test will largely depend on your timeline for applying. If you want to apply this cycle you'll need to take it June it seems, and if you can wait till next cycle I would consider taking time off to enjoy your vacation and studying for the January exam. My previous point still stands, you need to figure out why after all this time you're not getting the scores you want.

he has a point though. If you've really studied as long as you say for as many hours as you say and you're at a low 20's then you're just doing something wrong. Not saying it as a knock to you, but just that at this point you should realize that whatever you're doing isn't working, and a drastic change in study strategy may be needed.

When you take the test will largely depend on your timeline for applying. If you want to apply this cycle you'll need to take it June it seems, and if you can wait till next cycle I would consider taking time off to enjoy your vacation and studying for the January exam. My previous point still stands, you need to figure out why after all this time you're not getting the scores you want.

assuming that this isnt the right career choice for you based on mcat scores is a pretty large logical leap. the mcat is (imo) more of a hazing process than an actual indicator of how well you will practice medicine.

my advice is to change how your prepping. ie if you spend more of your time reviewing concepts, spend more time drilling yourself with practice problems.

and im sure you know this already, but dont let anyone else hold you back :)

i second changing your prep method and testing method. if you don't ave high 20s in the practice aamcs, then i suggest putting it off because it'll be a waste of your time and money. Furthermore, if you don't do well, it'll be very discouraging. Most people score within their practice score range.

Thank you above posters,

yes I do agree with my study method needing quite a bit of change, I really haven't done much practice to be honest with you I think there is where the problem is. I get into the studying/reading the chapters and down apply what I know) I feel I know the material but need more practice iunder timed conditions. When it came to the diagnostic results in PS I made lots of math mistakes and ran out of time, the same with verbal; I had about 12 min to go and still had 2 passages plus the q's on the 3rd to last passage, I went down from my previous verbal practice tests (~10 in EK 101) I haven't done much verbal lately and it shows! The Bio section I finished with time to spare (5min) I should be a little more focused and take my time here, but don't think is lack of backgroung knowledge, of course more couldn't hurt:D.

Thank you again for all your support, anyone who had done/is going thru this understands that a little cheer goes aloooong way. And as far as the nasty/hate/negativity out there, I wouldn't even considerlisten to that. I know my capabilities and intelligence and have no doubt that I will someday be a great physician. The MCAT is just a little pimple we all have to skeeze to get there, and not an indicator of a future great/terrible a physician.

It's odd that you got a significantly lower score in verbal on the practice test compared to EK 101. You took the EK test timed right? If not, then it was fairly worthless as practice. Always do tons of practice problems ONLY under timed conditions. Fortunately, it seems like you know you should do this. To help with the basic math, try doing all the math problems you deal with daily in your head. For instance, if someone is about to give you change, calculate roughly how much they should give you. Remember to always round your numbers and cross out answers that aren't right. So when you get options like these:

You can cross out the negative/positive number is you know the number should be positive or negative and then rounding should get you in the ballpark of one of the answers left.

I know there are others on here that were in a similar situation and did well, but I can't remember their names... Maybe make a thread about mothers taking the MCAT?

I don't know where you're going overseas, but I'm taking my MCAT overseas and I had no problems whatsoever signing up for a test just a few weeks before its date. Some say that taking the week before the test off is a good way to make sure you're fresh and rested. Maybe you should see if there is a test center near where you'll be going, take that first week to rest, adjust to the time change, and take the test. Just a thought.
Cheers

It's odd that you got a significantly lower score in verbal on the practice test compared to EK 101. You took the EK test timed right? If not, then it was fairly worthless as practice. Always do tons of practice problems ONLY under timed conditions. Fortunately, it seems like you know you should do this. To help with the basic math, try doing all the math problems you deal with daily in your head. For instance, if someone is about to give you change, calculate roughly how much they should give you. Remember to always round your numbers and cross out answers that aren't right. So when you get options like these:

You can cross out the negative/positive number is you know the number should be positive or negative and then rounding should get you in the ballpark of one of the answers left.

I know there are others on here that were in a similar situation and did well, but I can't remember their names... Maybe make a thread about mothers taking the MCAT?

i'm pretty sure my low score in verbal is due to lack of practice lately...i've been concentrating basically on the sciences and rejected the verbal. it's time t step it up!
thankks

I don't know where you're going overseas, but I'm taking my MCAT overseas and I had no problems whatsoever signing up for a test just a few weeks before its date. Some say that taking the week before the test off is a good way to make sure you're fresh and rested. Maybe you should see if there is a test center near where you'll be going, take that first week to rest, adjust to the time change, and take the test. Just a thought.
Cheers

I'm actually going over seas after test day, and I also checked the area but they are only offered in Spain and at thhe end of Aug. So I decided to register for the Sept test here in the states. I just hope 6 weeks of break doesn't mess me up. I'm still taking my home-made flash cards and plan to review, which leaves me about 3 weeks to take the AAMC's and review those, if that fails then I'll be at a $210 loss and looking at the Jan test:mad: