burned out

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mxns

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are some things that you can do between M2 and M3 year (taking time "off")? I'm not too keen on racking up debt doing a masters program or something like that (unless there's a way to get funding for it)... but what are some things that you know people have been able to pursue? Is research an acceptable thing to pursue even if it isn't under an official, shiny-sounding fellowship?

Members don't see this ad.

What break do u have? Most people only have it btw ms-1 and ms-2.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think he's asking about taking a leave of absence...
In that case I would do research. That being said, you'll want to know how your leave of absence will be explain on your Dean's letter.

My brothers friend took a leave of absence between year 3 and 4, for a 1 year computer science internship in palo alto...paid a ton too!

to be honest i wouldnt do it, i would just push through and get some cool hobbies and time management to try to fight burnout

Some med schools pay tuition for a 2nd degree (MPH, MBA,...) that you can do after MS2 or MS3.

Reactions: 1 users
Hard to answer since I don't know you, and for this kind of advice it would help to know you. If you haven't already, make sure you get advice from people who know you (student affairs, faculty mentors, friends, etc.). MS3 is very different from M2 and you may find it much more interesting and closer to what you imagined you would be doing when you came to med school in the first place. M2 and especially step 1 prep can suck the life out of anyone. No pre-med daydreams about 12 hour days in the library hunched over First Aid, but that's a reality we've all experienced at one point. Try and find ways to reconnect with what got you excited about medicine in the first place.