• A new admissions hurdle is becoming more common: the CASPer test. Learn more about it at a free webinar hosted by SDN and PrepMatch on May 6th. Register now!

Opticalfuture

Opticqueen
2+ Year Member
Feb 20, 2017
Hi, guys I haven't written on here in a while. I am a sophomore in college, my major in now biology. This past year has been super hard for me because of RONA, and I'm struggling in my classes to be motivated and to study. I'm so lost and behind that I'm just submitting work before the deadline, not much info has stuck to me. I have an exam and quiz tomorrow I'm not ready for, and like 4 exams due by Sunday. I need help I need some light of encouragement. I just moved back down to campus too, cause of my toxic household and I haven't gotten much sleep since. I'm balancing my 2 new jobs with 17 hours and possibly a research lab I'm trying to intern. I know its a lot but I want to be done with college quicker cause its super stressful and not he same anymore. Any tips or positive words are nice!

• Care
Reactions: 1 user

ihoop24

2+ Year Member
Mar 29, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
First, I hope everything works out for you. One thing is to make sure not to have too much on your plate. Yes, extracurricular activities are important, and many students have to work during undergrad to support themselves and/or their families, however, GPA is the easiest to mess up and the hardest to fix. Also, trying to get through college quick is a recipe for burnout. Take your time, take classes that you enjoy, and get some cool experiences. Medical schools aren't going anywhere.

Reactions: 6 users

Opticalfuture

Opticqueen
2+ Year Member
Feb 20, 2017
First, I hope everything works out for you. One thing is to make sure not to have too much on your plate. Yes, extracurricular activities are important, and many students have to work during undergrad to support themselves and/or their families, however, GPA is the easiest to mess up and the hardest to fix. Also, trying to get through college quick is a recipe for burnout. Take your time, take classes that you enjoy, and get some cool experiences. Medical schools aren't going anywhere.
thanks I'm not applying to medical school though I want to pursue research

About the Ads

Moko

Staff member
Volunteer Staff
5+ Year Member
Sep 7, 2015
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Hi, guys I haven't written on here in a while. I am a sophomore in college, my major in now biology. This past year has been super hard for me because of RONA, and I'm struggling in my classes to be motivated and to study. I'm so lost and behind that I'm just submitting work before the deadline, not much info has stuck to me. I have an exam and quiz tomorrow I'm not ready for, and like 4 exams due by Sunday. I need help I need some light of encouragement. I just moved back down to campus too, cause of my toxic household and I haven't gotten much sleep since. I'm balancing my 2 new jobs with 17 hours and possibly a research lab I'm trying to intern. I know its a lot but I want to be done with college quicker cause its super stressful and not he same anymore. Any tips or positive words are nice!
You know how in movies when sh!t hits the fan, time slows down and a monologue starts in the background? You're in that moment right now, about to crash and burn.

To sum things up: you are dealing with a presumably full course load, working two part-time jobs, on top of managing stressors back home, while also contemplating adding research on top of all this. We are all human and have our limits. You are clearly and understandably past yours. You can either try to power through this, or you can take corrective actions now to rectify this situation. By ignoring these warning signs, you may end up with subpar grades and/or further burnout affecting your future grades and performance, which in turn may paradoxically lengthen your schooling due to need for GPA repair, etc. depending on your graduate plans.

You should prioritize your mental health and grades at this point in time. This means either quitting one (or both) of your jobs, and/or withdrawing from or taking at least one of your classes P/F. In extreme cases, withdrawing from this entire semester would not be unreasonable depending on where you are academically and mentally. I would advise against joining a research lab at this time until your situation improves. You are unlikely to make a positive impression anyways when you are being pulled in all directions. Also consider whether you would benefit from professional assistance (e.g. therapy, etc) depending on your symptoms.

It takes courage and sound judgment to take a step back and make any needed changes to set you back up for success. Only you know what needs to be done for you to return back to a good place. Best of luck.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

chemistry hahgdgjjhdf

2+ Year Member
Dec 1, 2018
So I was in your shoes my last two years of undergrad. I was taking 3-4 upper division science classes with labs simultaneously plus other courses, working 2 jobs, doing odd jobs on the weekend, and shadowing. It was a difficult two years and I felt burnt out the first semester I did this. I would recommend what others have said above about cutting back. I regret doing so much because it caused me to neglect having a social life and some relationships. However, I was able to perform well academically. So, if you are set on keeping a busy schedule this is what I would recommend:

1) Cutting up your studying. Because I had so many simultaneous classes that required a good amount of studying, I would break up my studying and only study 3 hours at a time. I studied multiple times a day but it is up to you how many study sessions to have. I would recommend at least two/day. This helped to feel less burnout and less stressed. Also, I would recommend breaking your classes up with study sessions.

For example, one semester I was taking analytical chem, biochem, molecular genetics, cell and molecular biology and some other courses. For one 3 hour session, I would just focus on biochem and genetics, while the other 3 hour session that same day, I would do cell and molecular and analytical chem. This helped me tackle the classes more efficiently.

2) Study for exams and quizzes ahead of time. For most of my classes my professor would let us know a week maybe two weeks ahead about an exam. I would instantly start studying for that exam when it was announced or 2 weeks before the date posted on the syllabus. This allowed me to be able to avoid cramming and really go over the material so I understood it rather than just memorize it.

3) Study groups. Now I know this is hard now, but see if people would join a zoom study group or something like that. It helped to study with people who were motivated and had a different thought process. Hearing someone else explain a concept might help you understand it.

4) Draw out concepts. For classes like ochem and genetics (plus more), I would recommend drawing out concepts like reactions, pathways, etc. I preferred to do this on a whiteboard. I even bought a cheap whiteboard ($40) and hung it up in my apartment and did this when I studied or the night before an exam to review.

I am not an expert on studying and am not trying to sound like one. I just wanted to share what helped me be successful in my college classes while having a hectic schedule. I hope this helps!!

Reactions: 3 users

Opticalfuture

Opticqueen
2+ Year Member
Feb 20, 2017
thank you, I will try this is my first time doing this. If it doesn't work out I can just drop one of my classes and cut back on my work hours

Reactions: 1 user

Goro

SDN Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Jun 11, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
You need to lighten up or you'll burn out or suffer some serious mental health issues. You simply have too much on your plate. It might be worthwhile to take a LOA and go heal.

In the mean time, seek our your school's counseling center or talk to your family doctor. This is NOT giving medical advice!

Reactions: 1 users
About the Ads

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.