Burnout?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BMW19

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am starting med school in the fall with a strong interest in EM. As an EMT I have always been interested in this type of work. However, a lot of physcians that I speak to say that ER docs burnout very quickly. Can any residents or EM docs elaborate on what type of burnout they are talking about. Is it the hours? seeing a lot of trauma? being away from your family? As an EMT I have seen a lot of bad situations but never felt any "burnout". Maybe I wasn't in it long enough. Any advice would be great for a potential EM doc.

Thanks,

BMW19

Members don't see this ad.

I hate to keep harping on this, but do read the faq. This thread was linked in the faq. The question has been asked and answered countless times.

Members don't see this ad :)
Actually all of the threads in the FAQ posts were about top EM programs and how to get a good residency. My actual post wasn't about burnout rates it was about what specifically are the challenges. Thanks anyway

Sessamoid said:
I hate to keep harping on this, but do read the faq. This thread was linked in the faq. The question has been asked and answered countless times.

Piping up to say that I'm an EMT, and I've seen a little bit of "the stuff," but even as a tech in an ED it's different than being the doc. I might be in on the nasty trama case, I might have to take off my shoe-booties to avoid tracking blood into the hallway -- but I'm not in there for the discussion with the family. I might stand there at the head of the bed and hand vials and swabs to the doc during a pelvic, but I'm gone when it's time to deliver the bad news. I might walk a container to the lab for analysis, but I wasn't there to evacuate the 'products of conception' I'm carrying. I'll hold a squirmy child in a wrestling hold for an LP, but I don't have to tell a parent about what meningitis is.

Just saying; the psychic strain is maybe not so different in degree, as we see, do, and handle plenty of rough stuff. But it's different in kind, and probably in frequency.

If anything contributes to burnout, it is probably the constant schedule flipping and overnights. Having said that, I know plenty of EPs who handle it just fine.

i don't see how the ED can burnout more easily than let's say the surgical specialties or family practice. it just doesn't make sense. don't the ED's get significantly more 'free time' than other areas?

ekimsurfer said:
i don't see how the ED can burnout more easily than let's say the surgical specialties or family practice. it just doesn't make sense. don't the ED's get significantly more 'free time' than other areas?

I don't think it is so much the amount of free time available. EM physicians in general have to deliver more bad news to family members than nearly any other specialty (with exception of onc or trauma surgery and maybe a couple other subspecialties). How many FPs do you know who have performed CPR on a baby brought in by EMS after being found in the crib not breathing, and has to tell the family the kid is dead?... or granny was involved in a car accident and has a major brain injury... or how 'bout the 17 yo star football player paralyzed by a drunk driver? EM docs are also one of the most sued of all physicians. Talk about stress :scared: . It takes special people who aren't afraid to face all that to be an EM doc.

ekimsurfer said:

Free time? I'm lucky if I get to go to the bathroom once a shift.