Burring out rust-rings...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

erdoc00

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How many of you are doing this in the ER vs having patients follow up with ophtho so that they can do it?

Members don't see this ad.

How many of you are doing this in the ER vs having patients follow up with ophtho so that they can do it?
ophtho. never trained with a burr, nor do I have access to one. I feel very comfortable removing the main FB with a needles though.

Last edited:
I use the burr to remove the metal as long as the patient is cooperative and it's more superficial. I don't work on the rust ring - I leave that to ophtho.

Members don't see this ad :)
FB removal is an emergency procedure, so I'll do it. Rust ring removal can be done the next day in clinic - so I don't do it. I suppose if I worked in Alaska I might learn to do it myself.

What happens if you don't remove the rust ring? I've been dinged with four steel splinters in my eyes. I went to a clinic to get three of them removed and I got the last one out myself, but I don't think the rust ring was removed after any of them.

Burr drill is very safe - I was trained to use it and I now train our residents to do so- just play around with it a little and get comfortable
Agree- practice on a hard boiled egg rolled in dirt or iron shavings.
as far as the rust ring- if it's not too deep I use the burr to remove it. for deeper rust I refer them to ophtho. for FBs not terribly deep I use the eye spud as my first line tool and use the burr for deeper ones.