Business Certificate?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EveyG

CSU PVM c/o 2015!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey All!
I was trying to find an archived thread about this but I coudn't find one. Does anyone know if it is worth it to get a business certificate while in vet school? CSU has the option of getting your business certificate, but I wasn't quite sure if the effort was worth the reward. Is there anyone out there at schools that offer a business certificate that can weigh in on this? Thanks so much!:)

Members don't see this ad.

What sort of courses do you need to take for that?

I doubt it's official enough to have much clout when job hunting, but it could start you off on the right foot when looking to purchase a practice.

Do you want your own practice eventually? If yes, I would be tempted to complete the certificate (unless it's $$$).

Last edited:
I was considering doing it at CSU until I talked with one of the vets I work with (recent CSU grad). She said that like 30 some people signed up to do it (by taking accounting) and that by the time they were ready to graduate only 4 people were actually getting the certificate. I think having a good business background is imperative if you want to own your own practice, but I can't imagine the 5 or so classes in business that I'd be taking, WHILE taking all the vet school curriculum is going to benefit me much. I'm sure I'll just forget most everything and have to re-learn it if I do ever open a practice. Plus, with all the global and online classes/degrees offered these days, I figure if I ever feel like I really need them, there's nothing stopping me from taking them in the future.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know we have a business certification through the Wharton School here at Penn Vet. Almost the entire class is enrolled (not me though haha) and most feel like it is beneficial. They have lots of speakers come in and talk about how to make important business decisions in vet med, including stuff about loan repayments, clinical management practices and tons of other stuff. I think students here pay $600 for two years worth of courses but then Pfizer reimburses students with $300 at graduation so in total it's a $300 investment. People here really like it.

Thanks for the input all! :) I think I may pass. Already having more than 20 credits freaks me out :eek: I'm not quite sure that any of the classes offered in the certificate program would have any insight into how to run a practice. I think they are all fairly general, so, meh.

The business certificate program at CSU is a little different from those offered at other schools, where they generally seem to be targeted specifically at vet students. You actually have to enroll in and take a bunch of undergraduate business/accounting courses. That's 18 credits extra that you have to take of actual courses!!! Yep, that means the standard busywork homework assignments, quizzes, exams, and finals. blergh! It's not a matter of going to seminars that focus on making vet students learn about owning/managing a practice. Sucks hardcore, unless you actually enjoy this type of thing and want to make time for it.

It may seem like a good idea first semester, when there aren't any other electives to choose from... but later on when you have other exciting vet electives you can take, it may not seem as appealing. I think the 18 credits are composed of six 3 credit courses. I personally think that the opportunity cost of getting the certificate is far greater than the benefits I would personally obtain from having it. I know a few people who are in it and still seem to enjoy it, but it is definitely not my cup of tea!

Last edited:
I think there are currently 7 of us left after the 1st semester (something like 30 started). Overall, I am really enjoying it, especially since it's a break from science and helps to stimulate conversations that have nothing to do with vet med, haha. Currently with taking the normal vet school schedule along with the business and an exotics elective, I am at 25 units and in the fall I'll be at 26 units. There is definitely added pressure with more HW and tests, which at times can be a real doozy, like having 6 finals this upcoming week instead of 4, but I do plan to continue with it all the way through. In terms of scheduling, there are enough options for class times that I do not think you'll ever really be in a situation of taking a business course vs. vet school elective/selective. It does cost extra since it's not officially a part of the vet school program, but it's reasonable. Just be aware that if you take a class during the summer, the cost is substantially more.

They are undergrad courses, so they don't specifically deal with a veterinary business, but really, a business is a business. I feel that with taking these courses as well as being an active member of the Veterinary Business and Management Association, I am learning a ton and feeling much more comfortable about understanding the basics of all businesses. Personally, I do hope to one day open my own practice, but who knows, nothing is certain about the future. I also know I want to make sure that as an associate, I am not completely in the dark about my employer and I think these classses will help. And just knowing myself, I know that once I'm out in practice, I will have no motivation to take business courses, so it's nice to develop the background now for me. Will I remember it all? No way, but it will be much easier to recall than having to learn it all from scratch.

So that's my 2 cents. It's definitely not for everyone, but I do feel it's worth looking into.