Business dress code for orientation - suit?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zombiegirl

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

My med school’s orientation has a dress-code of “business” for day 1 and “business casual” for the rest of the days. Does this mean I should wear my formal interview suit for Day 1, or is “business” more casual than “business formal” and I can get away with a sheath dress, heels, and blazer? I’m asking because my area is known for being extremely hot in July, and my wool interview suit will be quite uncomfortable. Maybe I should call and ask their recommendation? I know one of the reasons for being “business” attire is that we will be taking pictures in our white coat and the men are required to wear button-downs and ties. I probably won’t want to be wearing my blue navy suit jacket under my white coat picture, which is another reason I think a work dress with appropriate shoulder coverage would work better for this purpose, but I wasn’t sure and don’t want to look out-of-place.

EDIT: After looking at the video from last year, it appears the students wear their white coat for a large portion of the day, in case that changes anyone’s answer.

I’d plan to wear something like these (but probably darker neutrals or grey only):

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• 8A31C169-CBC2-4F2F-9722-0EAA581931BD.jpeg
    8A31C169-CBC2-4F2F-9722-0EAA581931BD.jpeg
    197.2 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Business = suit for both ladies and gentlemen, and depending on the specific color/style I think a sheath dress and blazer could be appropriate. I think the second and third outfits you posted would be more appropriate - the lighter colors are pretty informal. Bring the suit jacket or blazer, you don't have to wear it every second of the day but you can put it on when the situation calls for it (e.g. if you're doing a meet and greet with someone important).

Yeah I would only do it in dark neutrals, so basically a suit dress but with a grey or black/white dress and black jacket instead of perfectly matching (can’t really afford another suit at this time unfortunately). Maybe I’ll try to scope out some pictures from day 1 of orientation last year.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello everyone,

My med school’s orientation has a dress-code of “business” for day 1 and “business casual” for the rest of the days. Does this mean I should wear my formal interview suit for Day 1, or is “business” more casual than “business formal” and I can get away with a sheath dress, heels, and blazer? I’m asking because my area is known for being extremely hot in July, and my wool interview suit will be quite uncomfortable. Maybe I should call and ask their recommendation? I know one of the reasons for being “business” attire is that we will be taking pictures in our white coat and the men are required to wear button-downs and ties. I probably won’t want to be wearing my blue navy suit jacket under my white coat picture, which is another reason I think a work dress with appropriate shoulder coverage would work better for this purpose, but I wasn’t sure and don’t want to look out-of-place.

EDIT: After looking at the video from last year, it appears the students wear their white coat for a large portion of the day, in case that changes anyone’s answer.

I’d plan to wear something like these (but probably darker neutrals or grey only):

View attachment 270855View attachment 270857View attachment 270858View attachment 270862
oh, maaaannn... I totally forgot about outfits.... damn..... yeah, good thinking.

I think the outfits look great! I think I will try to shoot for something similar. I would go for flats vs high-heels though (just my personal choice), but otherwise I think it is perfect. The plus factor is that business dresses like this look professional even if you take the jacket off and go sleeveless.