Business Majors out there?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

dietcoke911

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey All,
New to SDN, but have been lurking around for a while. I've recently decided that I want to go the pre-med postbac path, but being a Finance/Accounting major, the path seems so long and indirect. Any hope/insight from former business majors who have gone the postbac route would be greatly appreciate it!

While we are at it, I would like to know my chances at some programs.

Stats:

SATS: 770M, 750V
uGPA: 3.5 from a top undergrad b-school
Prof. Experience- 2 years in accounting- CPA
Volunteer Exp: First Aid & Hospital volunteer back in high school.

Programs:
Bryn Mawr, Goucher, Scripps, Rutgers-NB, Rutgers-Newark, (any other suggestions you guys have)

Also, anybody have any opinion on the Rutgers programs? Tried searching, but not much info out there. I am trying to see if the increased cost of going to a prestigious program outweighs the convenience and cost effectiveness of going to Rutgers.

Thanks guys!
 
Harvard Extension's Health Careers Programs. Not sure if you would want to come to Boston, but if you would, definitely an amazing program.

Excellent quality of education, mostly Harvard professors, very affordable tuition, and you can get sponsorship if you meet certain criteria. Definitely worth looking into.

http://www.extension.harvard.edu/hcp/default.jsp
 
Harvard Extension's Health Careers Programs. Not sure if you would want to come to Boston, but if you would, definitely an amazing program.

Excellent quality of education, mostly Harvard professors, very affordable tuition, and you can get sponsorship if you meet certain criteria. Definitely worth looking into.

http://www.extension.harvard.edu/hcp/default.jsp


Thanks for the input! I think i either want to stay in-state (Rutgers) or go to the more renown postbacc programs. Any people out there with an opinion on Rutgers Newark or Rutgers New Brunswick's Postbacc programs?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Looks like we're in about the same boat: looking to make a switch from a career in business to a career in medicine. I'm curious: why make the switch?

Hadn't heard about the Rutgers program but it looks pretty established after browsing their website. Plus, if you want to stay in New Jersey, it looks like they have linkage to UMDNJ.
 
Looks like we're in about the same boat: looking to make a switch from a career in business to a career in medicine. I'm curious: why make the switch?

Hadn't heard about the Rutgers program but it looks pretty established after browsing their website. Plus, if you want to stay in New Jersey, it looks like they have linkage to UMDNJ.

Haha thats a great question. I don't have a defining life moment or anything leading me towards switching (this will make my life miserable when writing postbacc app essays)... but I guess it just feels right. I grew up wanting to be a doctor, but during my (ignorant) high school years, I realized that there were easier ways to make money. Now flash forward past 4 years of college and 2 years of working as a consultant... I realized that my job here wasn't fulfilling and was nothing to me more than a way to earn a comfortable living. That, combined with some family experiences at the hospital really sparked something in me to think about embarking on the long and arduous path of medical school haha. How about you?
 
Hey, BS in BA and specialization in Accounting here. I find the work boring and want to make a real difference in today's world.

MJM