Business minor?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BlackSquirrelMed

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I recently read the book The Cost of Cutting by Dr. Paul Ruggieri, and it made me realize that the financial health of patients has a lot to do with determining healthcare access and health outcomes here in the U.S. I've come to the conclusion that I can't effectively help my (hopeful) future patients without better understanding the healthcare marketplace.

I already have a major (Biochemistry Pre-med) and minor (Healthcare Ethics), but I may still be able to squeeze a business or economics-type minor in the three years of college I have left. Is there a specific minor that will help me understand the forces at play in the healthcare market and enable me to best help my patients financially as well as medically? Or would any business-type minor do?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I have a bachelor's in business administration, and at my school there were virtually no healthcare specific courses whatsoever outside of the MBA program. I find it very unlikely that any undergraduate business coursework would provide insight on what you are describing. I did however, see other benefits from the courses- I learned a lot about operational challenges of healthcare delivery, for example. I would be shocked if you came across anything related to healthcare markets specifically, however.

I have a bachelor's in business administration, and at my school there were virtually no healthcare specific courses whatsoever outside of the MBA program. I find it very unlikely that any undergraduate business coursework would provide insight on what you are describing. I did however, see other benefits from the courses- I learned a lot about operational challenges of healthcare delivery, for example. I would be shocked if you came across anything related to healthcare markets specifically, however.

Thanks for the insight. Is there a different course of action you would recommend?