Business to Med School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mo12

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm currently a freshman at a university studying Finance in a very prestigious program and find myself wondering if I made the right choice. I like numbers but I don't think I can sit in an office for the rest of my life and work for an organization that I can't have a passion for like I do for helping people.
Growing up I always wanted to be a doctor and now I'm starting to feel that passion again but I don't know why. I probably wouldn't have done business if I didn't get into the program I'm in. My question is should I go for it and start taking the pre reqs for med school in addition to getting a finance major? It's not really an option for me to leave the business program I'm in for scholarship and tuition reasons. Also, I'm not sure if I'll enjoy taking science courses in college so I do have my doubts.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Take a science course and see if you find it interesting, and if so, take another. Assuming you find the classes interesting, consider speaking to your premed advisor.

Reactions: 1 users
What geebs said.

Take gen Chem or gen bio see how you like it. If you do well, consider shadowing over the summer.

You are still very early on in the career cycle. Better to get a head start on discerning your interests so you do not fall behind should you decide to go either career path.

Reactions: 1 user
Follow your heart.
Med schools do not care what your major or minors are, only that you do well.

Hello,

I'm currently a freshman at a university studying Finance in a very prestigious program and find myself wondering if I made the right choice. I like numbers but I don't think I can sit in an office for the rest of my life and work for an organization that I can't have a passion for like I do for helping people.
Growing up I always wanted to be a doctor and now I'm starting to feel that passion again but I don't know why. I probably wouldn't have done business if I didn't get into the program I'm in. My question is should I go for it and start taking the pre reqs for med school in addition to getting a finance major? It's not really an option for me to leave the business program I'm in for scholarship and tuition reasons. Also, I'm not sure if I'll enjoy taking science courses in college so I do have my doubts.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Reactions: 1 user